Using Adjust Beats

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using Adjust Beats

Post by Shooshie »

I've been trying to explain my method for using Adjust Beats for a long time, but I don't think it gets across in print very well. So, I made a video and posted it in the Tips Sheet Thread.

What is my method? Well... let me just say this: if you don't spend some time getting your MIDI track and Conductor tracks lined up before adjusting the beats, then you probably need to watch this video. You can also do it in the Sequence Editor, but again, you've got to use the Conductor Track and the MIDI tracks together. Take a look at the video to see why.

I apologize for its size. I'll shrink the next one down more. I had already adjusted my window to take up only half of my monitor, and then I recorded it at only 75% of that, but it's still too big for my old Powerbook G4. You can download it for smaller machines on slower connections.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Thanks. I'm sure that will come in handy when I get to where I can actually play something on the piano.

What did you use to make the video? I was thinking of getting some screencasting software for making Photoshop tutorial videos and such.

Do you ever do any voice over work. If not, you should put together a reel. I think you'd be really good at it.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This wunderkind would be good at anything he put his mind to. :lol:

Thank you for this new-fangled movie, Shoosh!
I've always believed that the manual makes some of these relatively simple things sound awfully complicated, and that video is the answer.
You da man! :D

PS: Whoa... 1 day and 2 hours at 0.7k. :shock:
Downloading... LOL! (I just gots ta have this one!)
Last edited by monkey man on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rcannonp wrote:Thanks. I'm sure that will come in handy when I get to where I can actually play something on the piano.

What did you use to make the video? I was thinking of getting some screencasting software for making Photoshop tutorial videos and such.

Do you ever do any voice over work. If not, you should put together a reel. I think you'd be really good at it.
I used Snapz Pro. I set up DP to output through the Mac's built-in audio, then put my headphones through the built-in output. I used my MOTU 896 for the microphone, and then had all the outputs in DP set for Built-In Audio. With that setup, I was able to run Snapz Pro and capture the video and audio.

As for the demo itself, it was completely unrehearsed and just ad-libbed. A little scripting might have shaved about 8 minutes off of it. :D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Would the same concepts apply to using audio files? I've been playing around with creating a setup to record my guitar to my Microtrack. I could then import the audio from there to DP to build songs.
Last edited by rcannonp on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rcannonp wrote:Would the same concepts apply to using audio files? I've playing around with creating a setup to record my guitar to my Microtrack. I could then import the audio from there to DP to build songs.
Yes, you can set it to snap to transients.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, if James is reading this, I used the Unicornation logo at the end of this video. I figured that the video might get linked on other sites, being a subject that a lot of people do not understand very well, and if so, it would be nice to bring those people here. It's very easy to cut it out, if you don't want it there. Would you let me know if you'd rather that logo not appear on the video? PM me if you'd like for me to cut it off.

Shooshie
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Shooshie,
I just downloaded it and got a error !!
picture 1.png not found,
then error -128?

Funny thing is it played fine the first time for about a few minutes, the next time it just wouldn't open??

T
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hey, Shooshie, you're one of the kindest fellows I know. Thanks for doing this, man!!
It's always great to see how other users use the same tools, each with his own personal techniques and touches.

Just so you know, I opened your link, but all I get is a gorgeous picture of a DP page teasing me, since it's just a picture that doesn't move... Like the QT isn't kicking in.

I'll give it a try later again.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Never mind. I'm downloading the linked file right now.

8)

Ok. After the file was downloaded the computer tries to look for a .png file that it cannot find, and if you click on cancel it gives you an error, but the movie DOES play fine anyway.

Doing Adjust Beats on a piece like this is a LOT of work, but totally worth it in the end.
For simpler pieces, with a more steady tempo, sometimes I like recording beats first as accurately as I can, and then polishing them with the Adjust Beats.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks for the heads-up on the problem. I'll see what I can do about it.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tonio wrote:Shooshie,
picture 1.png not found,
then error -128?

Funny thing is it played fine the first time for about a few minutes, the next time it just wouldn't open??

T
Did you try to open it on a PC? It's compressed with H.24, which I think is a Mac-only codec.
jarok

Post by jarok »

Shooshie wrote:
Tonio wrote:Shooshie,
picture 1.png not found,
then error -128?

T
Did you try to open it on a PC? It's compressed with H.24, which I think is a Mac-only codec.
Hi

Unfortunately I also get the "picture 1.png not found" message with the 1.5GHz PowerBook.

jarok
thereaktor
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by thereaktor »

Just take a snashot from your desktop "shift + cmd 3" that will save a picture 1.png file. Now when quiktime ask you for the file, search for the just made file and you should be find.

cheers
jarok

Post by jarok »

thereaktor wrote:Just take a snashot from your desktop "shift + cmd 3" that will save a picture 1.png file. Now when quiktime ask you for the file, search for the just made file and you should be find.

cheers
Thank you. That fixed it. :D

jarok