2408 mk3 + PCI-424 Recording Internal Audio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
PeskyMutt
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

2408 mk3 + PCI-424 Recording Internal Audio

Post by PeskyMutt »

Hi all.

I just purchased the 2408 mk3 + PCI-424 combo and I can't get it to record internal audio that is played in real time. For example, I use SONAR as my sequencer and I load a VST instrument in it with the output driver set to PCI-424 Analog 1-8 1/2. I can hear the VSTi, but I can't record it when I play it back in real time (I use Adobe Audition for recording and the drivers are set to record on PCI-424 Analog 1-8 1/2). I can, however, record all my hardware that is being played in real time using these settings. So this means I've recorded a wav file of all my hardware, but things like my VST sampler and other wav files I use in my mix are left out. Before I got the 2408, I used Audition to record everything I heard using M-Audio's Delta 1010 in monitor mode. I need help setting up my 2408 in some type of monitor mode so I can record everything I hear in real time.
PedroCruz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by PedroCruz »

The input you 've select in Audition, says PCI-424 Analog 1-8 1/2 right? so this means Audition is getting the audio from Analog input 1&2, those are the analog inputs you see in the back of the 2408mk3...
I think its not possible to record internal audio, youll have to bounce/Export from Sonar and reopen in audition...
This is not an audiocard feature/capability, its usual in every cards...
gameu

Post by gameu »

There is an option in the cuemix console to return computer output to mix bus 1. If you set Audition to record mix bus 1, you can then record what is playing thru your main outputs.
Alternatively, you can connect a digital cable between spdif in and spdif out, route your vsti to spdif out and set Audition to record spdif in.
PeskyMutt

Post by PeskyMutt »

OK. I've tried to troubleshoot this stupid thing and I still can't get the 2408 to record internal audio. Here's the setup:

Drivers enabled on the 2408:
PCI-424 Analog 1-8
PCI-424 SPDIF 1-2

I'm using Winamp with the DirectSound Output that uses the PCI-424 Analog 1-8 driver for audio output.

I've tried recording the audio from Winamp using both drivers in Adobe Audition. It doesn't work. gameu mentioned that there is an option to reroute audio using cuemix. I've enabled everything in cuemix except adat inputs and still nothing.

Am I to conclude that I spent a thousand dollars on a piece of audio recording equipment and it can't even record internal audio? This has got to be a twisted joke! Even a generic 50 dollar sound card has the capabilitiy of recording internal audio! I contacted the MOTU tech support about this and was on the phone for 45 minutes. The techie I was talking to got so frustrated with me that he hung up on me, even though I wasn't yelling, being mean, or rude in any way.

If I can get this thing to record internal audio then I'll have my wavering faith restored in MOTU. With all the troubles I've had getting this ridiculously priced audio interface to work, I'm at my breaking point. I can't even hibernate Windows with this thing! Please someone throw me a lifeline! I'm soooooo close to returning this thing and never buying from MOTU again. I've just had it!
baanes

Post by baanes »

I'll second gameu on this. If you enable "mix 1 includes computer output" then set audition to record "mix1 return" or somesuch you should get your output recorded.

Also by setting s/pdif as output, then connecting s/pdif out to s/pdif in you can record your output via s/pdif in. Use cuemix to route s/pdif in to analog outs.

I don't know why you think that seamlessly routing output to input like this is standard, lots of sound cards (that cost more than $50!) don't have it. In fact I can't think of any I've used that can do this even with as much effort as witha motu. Sure, RME and others can, but they cost more, not less.
PeskyMutt

Post by PeskyMutt »

Where in the cuemix console program is this "mix 1 includes computer output"? I've checked there and also the PCI audio setup software, but I can't find it. I don't see it in the manual either.
Airstorm

Post by Airstorm »

Talkback, & listenback in Cuemix.
PeskyMutt

Post by PeskyMutt »

There is no option for "mix 1 includes computer output" in the talkback window. Are you talking about the 2408 mk3 + pci-424 software for windows xp?

In the talkback settings, here is what I'm seeing when I press control+shift+T in the cuemix console:

on the left side, a maroon bar over a combo box that has selections of analog 1-8 and spdif 1-2. This is labeled talkback mic input. there is a fader under this labeled talkback monitor dim. My talkback outputs are bus 1 - analog 1-2 (10 inputs enabled). this is the only thing checked.

the right side is the same thing for listenback except it has a blue bar.

What do I do? Which settings do I use?

I'm not clear about why this talkback and listenback stuff would even be an option - these are supposed to be used for the control room to talk to artists in a recording room and vice versa.
gameu

Post by gameu »

Talkback will not help in your case. If you don't have that 'mix bus 1 includes computer output' option in cuemix, check that you've got the latest drivers.
If this doesn't help, try the spdif cable trick. (see above)