verb while recording?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
surrenderband
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

verb while recording?

Post by surrenderband »

can i give the singer a little verb while recording but still get a dry signal to the track? im sure it has something to do with aux's but please explain exactly how, for i am a newbie. Thanks.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

You have a couple of options.

••• If you want no latency, monitor through CueMix and run your output through a hardware reverb. CueMix mixes do not affect the dry signal you record.
••• Monitor through effects. This will cause some latency, but you can keep it low if you set your buffer for 250 or less. Use a simple reverb to keep the latency low, such as MOTU's plain-jane Reverb. (not eVerb and not Plate)

When you monitor through effects, you are monitoring the playback, not the dry signal, so don't worry about it affecting what gets recorded.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicarteca

Post by musicarteca »

Another possibility is to monitor through cue mix and use a send to feed and external hardware reveb, you will get latency on the returning signal, but since it is just the effect you might get just a nice pre-delay.
Alex Rodriguez
Legato Productions
www.legatoproductions.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

you will have to have a motu interface for cuemix...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
surrenderband

Post by surrenderband »

sounds great, i have the 828 and cuemix, but no outboard verb. so, i will have to do this in DP i guess. how would i set up my auxes?
swiftness

Post by swiftness »

If you don't have a hardware reverb unit, then Cuemix won't do you any good in this situation.

You just need to add an Auxilary track for each Audio Track that you wish to monitor. Set the input and output the same for each pair of Audio/Auxilary tracks. You'll then be monitoring through the Aux track. Add a processor friendly reverb to the Aux track.
groove

Post by groove »

You could monitor your dry signal with Cuemix AND still get verb for monitoring.
Create an aux track with the input of your interface assigned to your vocal.
Mute this aux track.
In this aux track assigned a send in pre-fader to a reverb plug-in on another aux track.
Adjust the amount of verb at taste.
You will have no latency for the dry signal you are recording; the return of the verb will show latency (depending on your buffer size).
I have found this set-up to be extremely comfortable at a buffer of 256. The performers do prefer some verb when recording but don't mind a little latency in the verb if there is none in the dry signal.
Of course this set-up is only for monitoring while recording and is good with verb not with delays and echos.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.