WOW? so nobody on earth has dp sharing cpu? send me an alien

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toobiesnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

WOW? so nobody on earth has dp sharing cpu? send me an alien

Post by toobiesnack »

wow ... so dp5 has a meter bridge woo hoo .. (big deal)
i mean its nice eye candy ... and cool if your tight for time .. but just one more thing to eat a cpu :(

probably the most powerful feature of osx is the ability to "farm" cpu power.
Honestly. has NOBODY done this?

with xgrid and mLan technology breaking out of the gate, when will we know how to do this?
has sound on sound covered this maybe?
im in awe at the lack of information on this subject.
is it on the MOTU site ANYWHERE?
is this a dirty little secret nobody wants to discuss?
video guys are all over this.
maybe we'll find info at their sites .. ;)
anyway ... i hope to see some concise info and this thread doesn't get filled with ONLY expressions of similar interest.
but please post your desire to know more.
or the tread will die.
and we just CANT HAVE THAT ... please
not till we have a solution.
and if its true .. nobody on earth is doing this ...
PLEASE SEND ME AN ALIEN .. LOL
thanks
toobiesnack
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

ok here is a morsel of happiness
this app allows you to use a normal tiger install and NOT have to use osx server.. :)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26722

later
toobiesnack
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

oh ... totally excellent

this allows mac osx panther machines to share their cpu cycles with xgrid on EITHER tiger or osx server

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26563

later
toobiesnack
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

and a stanford university wiget .... cool

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboar ... nford.html

and they have a huge ongoing xgrid resaearch project and tons of links
im reading now
later
toobiesnack
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

The problem with xgrid is that it is not ideal for realtime work, at least not how it's put together. Video people typically use large farms for non-realtime rendering. At least the work I've done has been like this, especially with 3D rendering.

Even with the audio implementations that exist now, like the Logic distributed audio, are very limited. Only working with their plugins, not all plugins.

For my own situation, I've been trying to off-load my VI's to another machine. Sure, it's not distributed processing, but it's at least another step at getting more out of my studio.

I used both MIDI over LAN, which worked okay, and Audio over LAN with Wormhole. This was less ideal for me, too much latency no matter what I did. Mostly because I only had a 100Mbit backbone setup.

My second iteration just hooked up audio and MIDI with interfaces. This worked well, the only problem was, loading up separate systems on the second machine was a pain. I used RAXX, and it didn't have a simple system for doing this. I had to load up the RAXX for each peformance. Not that this was horrible, but I'd rather have it automated.

Now enter KORE, from NI, coming out Monday. This fills that gap, so we'll see how my secondard machine works in this regard. That along with my UAD-1 is pretty much giving me all I need right now.

For what it's worth, real time distributed processing isn't that incredibly easy. My personal opinion is that it is related to the latency issues with the ETHERNET protocol (I think IEEE-802.11). You have no guaranteed timing mechanism in Ethernet, so you need it fast as possible, which is why I think people use 1Gigabit for this, which is really overkill.

I'd rather see something akin to mLAN. Something with dedicated interconnect between machines, because every little extra layer of connectivity that is latency prone, the more you waste due to making up for the inefficiency issues.

But those are my thoughts anyways :)
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

nice "hands on" info rick. thanks

well gigabit ehternet cards are not expensive.
but before i went out and bought a few i want to know it will work.
and then there is the issue of .

applications need to be written with xcode capability "wrapped" into them.
i checked apple developer and there is cocoa code implementation info for "wrapping cocoa application with xgrid" but ... haha ..
to do it .. you would need the source code ... haha
well .. at least motu cant say the info is not there.
there is a tutorial and everything.

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredriv ... intro.html

there is the link.
if your a motu developer, are you reading that? ;)
so ... as it stands .. we can have a million computers sharing cpu cycles and it wont make a difference unless dp is "wrapped" for it.

and is mLan faster than ethernet?
id rather have fast than convenient ;)
anyway if you were to dump that code on the boys at macscripters.com
they would have that done in a few weeks if not days.
cmon motu get on it!

and btw someone please say hey toobie you didn't know dp is xgrid wrapped ;)

till then i guess we wait :(
guess ill scan some logic mssg boards to see how thats coming along :(
anyway. what a tempting thing to dangle in front of our faces.
maybe our grandchildren will have xgrid compatable recording systems hahaha
later
toobiesnack
toobiesnack

Post by toobiesnack »

one last thing for the boys at motu

http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/top.shtml

these guys say they even have a development team willing to help :)
3rd party developers ROCK!
nothing would get done if we waited for apple. haha
anyway here's to wishing and dreams come true ... cheers
later
toobiesnack
electrik noize
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by electrik noize »

bump.

Just wondering if there has been a change with regard to audio over ethernet/mlan etc and how it applies to DP. Is DP now able to have distributed audio processing ala Logic?
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by baanes »

I was told by someone working on a thesis in distributed computing that gigabit actually has higher latency than 100Mbit. This is because gigabit uses larger buffers and packets. I think this also meant that 10Mbit had lower latency than 100MBit. Of course, if you need more bandwidth, than you do need gigabit, but a 100Mbit network ought to give at least 20 channels at 16/44.1. As electrik noize says, timing will always be a problem because of ethernet doesn't really have a good system for time guarantees.