The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by waxman »

Has anyone noticed the name changes on the floating mixers when changing track orders. I have to quit DP after changing order and reopen for the names to be correct on the Raven... just one channel changes name. Also pan in floating mixer has the missing first channel until the pan knob is moved in DP
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Killahurts wrote:I have a couple questions about Raven, and whether or not it would work in my setup..

2. Provided it could work, could I have the 27" Raven display mirrored on my 60" monitor in the CR? Obviously it wouldn't be a 60" touchscreen, I just want it to mirror what happens on the MTi2.

3. I already have a MCU control and MCU extender (16 channels) in the SSL Matrix. Could the Raven work with it, or would I have to choose one or the other? If the latter, could I forgo the Mackie control with the Raven, and just use it like a standard touchscreen, like for editing plugins, etc?
Hey Killahurts,

My answers to your questions follow:

2. Yes, as long as your RAVEN MTi2 is set to 1920X1080 resolution.
3. The MCU Control will interfere with RAVEN's Mackie Control use as a Mackie limitation. You can however use the RAVEN for single-touch control only. Just note that some of our touch tools within the RAVEN software also utilize the protocol so will also not function if you do not configure the RAVEN as the control surface. You will however be able to configure the Batch Commands to perform any functions you want.
waxman wrote:Has anyone noticed the name changes on the floating mixers when changing track orders. I have to quit DP after changing order and reopen for the names to be correct on the Raven... just one channel changes name. Also pan in floating mixer has the missing first channel until the pan knob is moved in DP
Hey waxman,

First, we're working to address the occasional first track pan issue in our next maintenance update. Second, we have not had any reports of the track name issue and are unable to recreate this on our development machines. I recommend opening a ticket on http://www.slatesupport.com to further investigate the issue, specific to your machine.

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
Slate Media Technology // Slate Digital LLC
slatemt.com // slatedigital.com
JameyZ

Post by JameyZ »

waxman wrote:Has anyone noticed the name changes on the floating mixers when changing track orders. I have to quit DP after changing order and reopen for the names to be correct on the Raven....
Thanks for posting..We will for sure check out this issue.

I have found switching into "sends mode" then back, can fix some of these HUI issues so you may not need to restart fully if this happens to you again.

hope this helps..
Jamey Z
Slate Media Technology
Raven Software Design
Jamey@stevenslate.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Matt... I will do a support ticket. So far I have used it for days and not had any major issues. Just the pan and name thing and that only happens on a couple files that already existed. The controller is really solid...

I will be doing a song top to bottom next week. I'm still getting used to it. I still find myself clutching the mouse... :shock:
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

How do I get the Trim tool to go he opposite way. It only faces left when trying to edit a wave file in DP 9?
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

No one has talked about editing yet, things such as vocal comping, wave form editing etc.? Also, does the surface feel warm and create heat for example, on one's face or arms/hands?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:No one has talked about editing yet, things such as vocal comping, wave form editing etc.? Also, does the surface feel warm and create heat for example, on one's face or arms/hands?
There are YouTube videos out there where they show some of these things.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I like editing audio by touch. I thought it would be less precise than by mouse, but quite the contrary. I really love being able to move the work around and zoom in and out by touch. Very intuitive.

The Raven does not feel warm to the touch or radiate heat, even after running all day.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:No one has talked about editing yet, things such as vocal comping, wave form editing etc.? Also, does the surface feel warm and create heat for example, on one's face or arms/hands?
Yes, but I wanted REAL impressions in DP by people NOT working for Slate. Are there DP vids showing Raven editing in DP?
Also, I wonder if any DP buyers would consider buying the bigger version instead of the small one? I am wondering about the bigger version myself.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Yes, but I wanted REAL impressions in DP by people NOT working for Slate. Are there DP vids showing Raven editing in DP?
Also, I wonder if any DP buyers would consider buying the bigger version instead of the small one? I am wondering about the bigger version myself.
That's right... if it's by Slate, they're lying or something. I dunno. You know there are videos of Steven demonstrating it and you can see them touch and drag soundbites around and edge edit and what not. Only limitation might be that if you have to touch a very small point on the screen it might be difficult. I've seen REGULAR GUYS demonstrating doing things like this and talking about learning to be precise about where you place your fingers. Then again, I might have actually gone to YouTube and done a search on Raven, RavenMTI, Slate Raven... whatever. Takes a little effort.

Maybe at NAMM you can try one yourself and see if it meets your needs or not.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

As I just said, it is not difficult to accurately place cuts, select sections for comping, etc. I don't work for Slate, just for myself. In my studio the big one would be overkill and a huge waste of resources.

But I can see why it would be a hard decision between the 47" MTx and the Behringer. :wink:
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

At just $300 more than the Behringer, the Raven looks compelling.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: You know there are videos of Steven demonstrating it and you can see them touch and drag soundbites around and edge edit and what not. Only limitation might be that if you have to touch a very small point on the screen it might be difficult. I've seen REGULAR GUYS demonstrating doing things like this and talking about learning to be precise about where you place your fingers.
One of the things that have sold me on the Slate Falcon is that is also works with tablet pens. Steven confirmed this in another forum. So if your fingers start getting in the way the pen will do the precise work. :headbang:

Mostly I'm pretty excited about being able to work with Soft synths like Zebra, Kontakt, Falcom etc. that I use all the time, where the developers were smart enough to make resizable GUI's
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Has anyone actually tested an MTi2 with a 5k iMac? I read in a previous thread that you might have to set the MTi2 as your main monitor and that you would have to run your 5k monitor at 1920x1080 in order for things to work ...

I asked on the Slate boards but the reply I got from @JameyZ was pretty puzzling, I'm not sure he has much OSX experience ... (sorry JameyZ if that's not the case).

http://slate.boards.net/post/3919/thread

Maybe @mattdodge can help clear it up? Or does anyone here that has one use a 5k iMac and does it work?
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I think Jameyz has plenty of OSX experience... He just doesn't know this answer about iMac. I'm no help... I'm running the Raven and two additional displays, but all at the same resolution.

If you'd be OK with having the menu bar on the Raven, I would expect it to work fine, even with monitors at different resolutions. But I would expect weirdness when dragging windows from one to the other.

But I don't know if anyone has tested this configuration.
Jim Bordner