He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by Gravity Jim »

I think Radiogal makes a good point about the potential of ergonomic issues. But I just watched the "Raven for DP" video, and you can and do still use you mouse and keyboard, and I don't see mixing on this to be any more tedious than mixing on my small-format console, where I do a fair amount of reaching.

In fact, now that I've seen this video, I'm really pretty excited about the possibility. After examining the financial status here, I can keep the Fuchs amp, let my luthier continue to develop my custom "round shouldered" dreadnaught (Gibson J50 custom) and still convert to Raven. But I would most likely wait until right after the first of the year: I think I'd want the additional deductions in 2016.

So I'd replace the Tascam DM3200 and the FireWire interface card with a Raven MTi2 and either an 828k3 or 896k3 hybrid. And watching this video makes me think I might not even need my current displays. Since the MTi2 is considerably smaller than the MTX in the video, at least one extra display would probably be nice to have... we all tend to stack up a lot of VIs. I wonder how it works with additional displays?

Anyway, check this out if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCoixHneZI
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

guitardood wrote:
It's pretty awesome, but the one he was using in the video is the $10k 46" version. The $999 27" version doesn't come with the cool console stand, only a brace similar to a heavy duty picture frame. Would definitely love to have one of $10k versions, though. Very cool but the touch features and the programmability.
Good catch - I thought that screen looked large for a 27 inch unit. Are there any videos out there with the 27 inch unit actually being used? As tightly placed as some things are in the DP gui having a larger screen would be a good thing (screen resolution dependent of course).
Gravity Jim

He promised; He did it !

Post by Gravity Jim »

Gravity Jim wrote:Since the MTi2 is considerably smaller than the MTX in the video....
Yeah, I noticed that, too.

But 27" display is a pretty big device. With people getting excited over mixing on iPads, this would dwarf a tablet.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

here is a video of the 27" MTi. Cheezy as it gets promo but it's funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXUDoP2K754

this one is the Aftermath Team. Core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvX5FqFyjc
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I waited for the girls' names to appear, but they didn't.

Down here in Jungleville, SS would've copped a venomous barrage of insults for that. Seriously, that's how it is here now in Oz. Jaust sayin'.

Briss looks to be a prime candidate for shoulder and possibly neck issues unless he shifts that thing into a more comfortable position. His index-finger manipulation of filter-cuff, he claimed, cannot be done "with software the way it's traditionally set up". I beg to differ. Mouse works just fine for that. Note that he tended towards single-finger manipulation. "Traditionally", one might do a pass for cutoff, and another for resonance, for example. Even if you're able to track them both in real-time, you're going to have to edit them; the interactions are inherently sensitive and somewhat unpredictable. Now, if one were to try to record 3 parameter streams at once from one's fingers, what I've said becomes exponentially more valid. IMHO, single passes using a slider on one's keyboard / surface or a mouse on a plug window is just fine.

Focus, OTOH, seem to have the right idea ergonomically. It's interesting to me that each synth workspace has a dedicated display and yet... mixing itself is done on a real desk. Perhaps this puts in some sort of context the real-world applicability of these things.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote: It's interesting to me that each synth workspace has a dedicated display and yet... mixing itself is done on a real desk. Perhaps this puts in some sort of context the real-world applicability of these things.
I guess you're talking about the Digidesign Control 24 right? Interesting thing is that hasn't had support in ProTools for a couple of major versions; not sure if the last supported PT was PT9 or 10. So I guess the Raven will at some point take over that function.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

monkey man wrote:I waited for the girls' names to appear, but they didn't.
Seriously, in 2015, who thought this video was a good idea. (It's not good enough to be a parody.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

monkey man wrote:I waited for the girls' names to appear, but they didn't.
Oh, you know their names. Trixie, Angel, and Tinkerbell. Or some variation thereof.

The reason their names didn't appear is because you have to buy the product, first. THEN the girls themselves appear. They just come right in and start helping you record and mix, right there on the same set. It happens all the time. Just a standard part of the music business, you know.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ah... so it's the same as when you buy a car and girls appear out of nowhere in bikinis and start to wash it (the car, you naughty Unicorns!). Thanks Shoosh.
musicman691 wrote:
monkey man wrote: It's interesting to me that each synth workspace has a dedicated display and yet... mixing itself is done on a real desk. Perhaps this puts in some sort of context the real-world applicability of these things.
I guess you're talking about the Digidesign Control 24 right? Interesting thing is that hasn't had support in ProTools for a couple of major versions; not sure if the last supported PT was PT9 or 10. So I guess the Raven will at some point take over that function.
Ha! I didn't even notice what it was, Jack; I saw a big thing and assumed it was a conventional desk. Same difference 'though - it's "properly" tactile and... big.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote: Ha! I didn't even notice what it was, Jack; I saw a big thing and assumed it was a conventional desk. Same difference 'though - it's "properly" tactile and... big.
Some people say it's one of the better control surfaces/mixers Digi put out for PT and therein lies the rub - it's limited to PT only. The need for a good general daw piece of controller hardware is out there.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

musicman691 wrote:The need for a good general daw piece of controller hardware is out there.
It is...and I concluded the Mackie MCU wasn't it. I like the faders and about three buttons on the transport control for jumping among markers, record, play, forward, back. That was it. I put the thing on ebay and it sold today. I cleared more than the cost of the Raven so that's on the way.

I actually think the smaller screen is going to be better - less reaching.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Agreed on the less reaching. I think the 27" Raven is going to be ideal. My order is in, too.
Jim Bordner

OLB

Post by OLB »

Had to get used to the idea but I'm starting to see some really nice workflow possibilities here, ordered as well!
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
wonder

Post by wonder »

Ive been shopping for some new controllers as I'm giving my studio an overhaul.

I wasn't keen on the touchscreen idea because, as we all know, software will inevitably fail.

But seeing how many people on here are so stoked about the product, I might reconsider.

Anyone on here dare to post a demo video of their own to show it in an actual real world situation?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

"... As we all know, everything will inevitably fail."

Fixed.
Jim Bordner