Mac as an external device running virtual instruments

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
judyhyman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac as an external device running virtual instruments

Post by judyhyman »

I've just upgraded to a G5. I still own my G4. I'm running lots of VIs. I'd like to be able to set up the G4 to run some of these .. to split the load.

I understand that I need to have a MIDI interface on each machine. I've been told I need lightpipe to get the audio from the external to the main machine.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of setup?

If so, I'm wondering if my two legacy pieces, the MIDI Timepiece II and the 2408 mk 1, will be useful in this setup.

I.e., are there adapters that will allow me to use the MTP II, which is serial, with the G4 (I guess firewire or USB)? And will the lightpipe on the 2408 Mk 1 do the job .. is it in any way different/inferior to how lightpipe is handled now?

Tx.

--j
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by baanes »

You could try to find a serial card that would fit in your G4. Otherwise I think you are out of luck.

ADAT/lightpipe on the 2408 ought to work fine with other things.
eixb

Post by eixb »

even if you found a serial card for your g4, there is no support by motu for serial MIDI interfaces with coremidi on os x. you'd have to find a serial card or usb-serial adapter manufacturer that provides os x MIDI i/o drivers for their product.

you could network your MTP II to a newer MTP AV USB if you'd like to continue using it.
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

May be you should try MIDIoverLAN.

http://www.musiclab.com/downloads/trial/
emulatorloo

Re: Mac as an external device running virtual instruments

Post by emulatorloo »

judyhyman wrote:If so, I'm wondering if my two legacy pieces, the MIDI Timepiece II and the 2408 mk 1, will be useful in this setup.

I.e., are there adapters that will allow me to use the MTP II, which is serial, with the G4
Judy -- look at stealthport for your g4 if you decide to go that route w your MTP II. I am using a similar product w an Opcode Studio 4 interface. Works fine in Core MIDI setup and with DP (all you get is 8 MIDI ins and outs, none of the special features of the interface, which is good enough for me)

http://www.geethree.com/stealth/index.html

Here's a link to the MIDI driver -- I think there is a read me that explains how it works included w the download:

http://www.geethree.com/downloads/stealthmidi.html

--
judyhyman

Thanks!

Post by judyhyman »

Thank you all. I'm gonna hang onto this old gear and see whether I can eventually make it all work ... I have no lightpipe on the 1224, which is my main interface so I'll need to upgrade that before moving forward on this.

In the meantime, my "new" (2004) G5 is doing beautifully handling a fistful and more VIs.

:--)

--j
emulatorloo

Re: Thanks!

Post by emulatorloo »

judyhyman wrote:Thank you all. I'm gonna hang onto this old gear and see whether I can eventually make it all work ... I have no lightpipe on the 1224, which is my main interface so I'll need to upgrade that before moving forward on this.

In the meantime, my "new" (2004) G5 is doing beautifully handling a fistful and more VIs.

:--)

--j
Judy -- No need to get hung up on lightpipe. IMHO. I use a PC in a similar set-up --Mac running the sequencer, PC running gigastudio. I just take the digital out of my PC's sound card into my mixer. Or if that isn't convenient, I just take the analog outs of my PC's sound card into my mixer.

So no reason you couldn't take the analog or digital output out of your G4 MOTU interface into your G5 MOTU interfaces.

GOOD LUCK and have fun w the new g5

==