My first 'pro' DP project - a 12-piece Cuban-style charanga

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My first 'pro' DP project - a 12-piece Cuban-style charanga

Post by BobK »

This is my first 'pro' project in DP, a CD for a 12-piece Cuban-style charanga orchestra. You can download two mp3s from the CD, 'En Canto', at the band's web site:

http://www.danzon.com/eng/sounds/sounds.htm

(You can listen via streaming, but the quality is pretty low.)

'Cenizas' is an old Mexican ballad which our director re-arranged as an up-tempo 'guaracha.' 'Soy Matancero' is a Cuban danzon, the arrangement transcribed from a classic recording of the group led by Cuban flute master Antonio Arcaño.

I recorded, edited, and mixed this CD with DP4.61, except for the rhythm section (piano, bass, conga, timbales, guiro) on tracks 1 and 5, which was tracked by a friend. I also played piano and sang some background vocals (the ones you can't hear well but which fatten it up...).

It was quite an ordeal - lots of overdubs, (three or more violins, often done one at a time; flute, clarinet, extra percussion, lead vocals, and a bunch of background vocals). Add to that the complex arrangements, and it turned out to be a great project to cut my engineering teeth on.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Hey Nice work Bob!! Very balanced overall and true to the genre.
BTW , who's your friend?
I'm sure Antonio was happy with the results. Whats your front end chain?
T
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thanks, Tonio. Glad you liked it.

The front end for the rhythm section basics was a combination of a Metric Halo 2882 and a Presonux DigimaxLE, which were borrowed from a friend.

All the overdubs were done through the preamps in my Allen & Heath Mix Wizard 16:2 DX mixer. The mixer's direct outs were run into a MOTU 1224. That's it!

For privacy's sake, I'll answer your question about the other engineer via a PM.

BTW, we'll be posting some more clips in the future at our web site. CDbaby just posted clips from every song here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/orquestalmt
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Really cool, man!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thanks, Chris!
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sounds very pro to me all around: good production, excellent musical and vocal performances.

Suggestion: There are thirteen or more Play links on that page, and I had to go back and forth from your post to the web site to find the mix that was the topic of your post.

This is the direct link:

http://www.danzon.com/music/32/cenizas.m3u
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance