Mics for acoustic guitar recording

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhschmieder »

Oops, sorry, I got confused with the newer KSM series, which remaps some of the familiar old numbers from the way-old SM series :-).
lynyrd

Post by lynyrd »

I used an Alesis/Groove Tubes Am51 on acoustic guitar on my latest recording and people (and myself included) think it sounds really good. You can pick these up from time to time on Ebay for around $100, I have a pair and they also work good as drum overheads. Really detailed top end, and also have a transformer in them. Another Groove Tubes option would be the AM62, a multi patterned dual diafragm tube version of the same mic. They can be had for $300 or so, and on the right voice, they sound really good. In fact I compared our latest recordings with an earlier one done in another studio with a 70s era Neumann U87, and the Groove Tubes mic sounded as good or better.
Lynyrd
Deville Recording
Sonic Playground
lynyrd

Post by lynyrd »

I used an Alesis/Groove Tubes Am51 on acoustic guitar on my latest recording and people (and myself included) think it sounds really good. You can pick these up from time to time on Ebay for around $100, I have a pair and they also work good as drum overheads. Really detailed top end, and also have a transformer in them. Another Groove Tubes option would be the AM62, a multi patterned dual diafragm tube version of the same mic. They can be had for $300 or so, and on the right voice, they sound really good. In fact I compared our latest recordings with an earlier one done in another studio with a 70s era Neumann U87, and the Groove Tubes mic sounded as good or better.
Lynyrd
Deville Recording
Sonic Playground
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

I think it really depends on what role the acoustic guitar is going to play in the song when choosing between LD and SD condensors. If it is a full stereo image of a nice guitar you are looking for, that is going to be the main focus of a track, then SD's tend to get the job done really nicely in different mic configurations. They have fast transient response to pick up all the little things good guitar players do, and do not overemphasize the "boomy" factor acoustics can have.

on the other hand, if the acoustic is just harmonic glue in the mix with drums, bass, and vocals, and a stereo image is less important, a nice LD like the 414 or BLUE Blueberry pointed at the 12th fret can really do the trick. Im sure a rode nt1a would do it too. when miced at that position the recorded sound sounds naturally "compressed" to me for some reason. and it sits in a mix much better. In this case, i tend not to point the mic at the sound hole, you are going to have to roll of so much low end it's not even funny.

Im not a fan of mixing ld and sd together on the same source, too many phase issues to worry about. matched coincident pairs, x-y configs, eliminate the phase thing as much as possible before going to disk!
surrenderband
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by surrenderband »

I'm just getting into the recording thing, but seems like 9 out of 10 acoustic guitars i record, sound bad in the first place. Not adjusted right, etc. But if the guitar happens to sound good, my GT55 mic and vintech preamp sounds pretty good to me. The mic is only $300 and the preamp about $1400.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

surrenderband wrote:I'm just getting into the recording thing, but seems like 9 out of 10 acoustic guitars i record, sound bad in the first place.
I realize the guitar and the player factor in big ways. I recently picked up a new acoustic that lends itself to recording (a Gibson Deluxe Songwriter) in that it's bright without being tinny and rich without being boomy. It definitely makes a difference.
barnee

Post by barnee »

I use a pair of Rode NT5 in a X/Y way.
Also, I use an AKG C414 ULS.
But I would love to use a U87...or Telefunken ela.

I plug my mics into the Motu Traveler's mic pres.
But also use:

-MindPrint Envoice Channel strip.
-SPL Goldmike.

And would love to plug my mics into Chandler Limited/Millennia/Great River preamps....

Money...money...money...
Motu Traveler (x2), PowerBook G4 15" 1,5Ghz 1,5Go RAM, 80Go internal drive, 200Go external drive, Digital Performer 5.01, ADA8000 (+DAT machines, various preamps and compressors, various microphones, etc...)
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Strings, strings, strings.
I realize that you were asking about microphones, but I just had to get on my soap box. Assuming that the guitar is a good instrument and the player is competent, the selection of strings will have as much of an impact on sound as the microphone. Select the right strings for the sound you're looking for. Just wanted to throw that in the mix.

Phil
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

12th Fret - Oktava MK012
Body behind Bridge - Audio Technica 4047sv

Amazing.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
barnee

Post by barnee »

Anyone would mind posting a picture of mic placement?

Especially pictures which show angle and distance of the mic(s).

thanks.
Motu Traveler (x2), PowerBook G4 15" 1,5Ghz 1,5Go RAM, 80Go internal drive, 200Go external drive, Digital Performer 5.01, ADA8000 (+DAT machines, various preamps and compressors, various microphones, etc...)
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I think there are lots of resources available on the web for mic placement on acoustic guitars. Check out Sweetwater's forum, for one - I got some helpful hints there about microphones on pianos.

Also, check out my thread on the Fishman Aura in this section - it's an impressive alternative to a microphone.