iZotope RX 11 is out

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iZotope RX 11 is out

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:39 pm That GC/MF purchase link is still up there.
Yeah... that's to buy 7.5, right? I already have 7.5. I guess what you mean is I can buy it all over again and perhaps qualify for a free 8?

One thing stood out:
Spectral Editor ARA [Standard, Advanced]: Use the spectrogram to find and fix issues without ever leaving your DAW. Spectral Editor now includes Gain, De-click, and De-hum processing, along with Spectral Repair. Currently available for Apple Logic Pro (in Rosetta mode) with additional host support coming in a free update this summer.
Really—over Rosetta?!?!?

What it doesn't state is that the Spectral tools are part of the stand-alone app and Sectral De-noise still works as a plug-in in DP. Spectral Editor in 10 was Logic only.
I'm pretty sure that currently you have to enable the VST3 version of a plugin to use ARA? That's how DP works with Melodyne. Pretty sure it must be the VST3 version enabled.
For clarity here, ARA only works with Logic in AU as far as I know, (some sort of deal with AAX as well), and it's on the Logic team to update their ARA support, not iZotope.

IMO iZotope jumped on the wrong boat there, had they released a VST3 version like Melodyne did then they wouldn't have likely wasted time helping the Logic team at Apple get AU right only for them to not keep up support and offer in house versions of RX like Music Rebalance etc. :P
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 amCheck the Sweetwater link I posted upgrade is $99.
Oh, sorry. $100 is for Standard. I'm after the Advanced version upgrade....which is $299
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

https://gearspace.com/board/new-product ... tware.html

Thanks for the clarification on the legality of posting links. I haven't read user comments yet; busy day. But I had that link bookmarked so I thought I may as well post it now.

Every time I think of selling an iZotope product, I get busy then a new version comes out that probably makes what I have worthless. I got off the Ozone train with the current release and suspect I'll do the same with RX this time around. The premium for RX Advanced is just too much, and SpectraLayers is quickly surpassing on most fronts, and the few where I still get better results from RX 10 is probably just due to experience combined with bizarre and incomplete SL documentation.

Most of the feedback I have heard so far is that this isn't a giant step forward, especially for the price, but perhaps I will be convinced yet. I may continue to use RX as a faster workflow for SRC and other regular tasks.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

The premium for RX Advanced is just too much, and SpectraLayers is quickly surpassing on most fronts…
I think this is exactly right. The cost for staying up to date on the advanced versions f RX, Ozone, etc., are almost extortionate.

I’m really surprised they have not introduced a subscription option, although I suppose their current model is effectively that AND at a much higher price than anyone would stomach if it were called a subscription.

I think I will make it my mission to migrate to Spectralayers this year.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I bit the bullet and upgraded from JRR Shop for $251 (Group code) from 10 Advanced to 11 Advanced.
Last upgrade was $150 direct form iZotope from 9 Advanced to 10 Advanced.
I emailed iZotope and no help there. It is what it is.

Anyway, I just wanted to report that Music Rebalance has indeed been significantly improved. I have only tested extracting vocals (actually removing piano ambiance form a vocal track) and it is much better on all levels from 10 Advanced. I did a lot of back and forth testing between 10 and 11. Dialogue Isolate is excellent as well. For my workflows, I am glad I got it but not happy with the price.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You can always take "YouTubers" with a big grain of salt, but posting this here in case anyone might find it useful/interesting:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

hammerman wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:44 amAnyway, I just wanted to report that Music Rebalance has indeed been significantly improved.
Here's a comparison between RX10 and RX11. I does indeed sound improved.

iZotope Rx11 Vs Rx10 Stem Separation Tool - Music Rebalance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_3C9v ... 5FR4AaABAg
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I already owned the entry-level version of Spectral Layers 10 (came with my Cubase 13 upgrade). I saw though, that Steinberg is having a sale right now and they offer a competitive crossgrade from RX5 and later (Standard or Advanced) for $119.00. You have to upload proof of ownership which I did last night and got an okay this morning so I popped for it.

https://www.steinberg.net/promotion/

steinbergsale.jpg
steinbergsale.jpg (365.22 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:41 am I already owned the entry-level version of Spectral Layers 10 (came with my Cubase 13 upgrade). I saw though, that Steinberg is having a sale right now and they offer a competitive crossgrade from RX5 and later (Standard or Advanced) for $119.00. You have to upload proof of ownership which I did last night and got an okay this morning so I popped for it.

https://www.steinberg.net/promotion/

steinbergsale.jpg
Glad I popped for it last March during the introductory offer. One has to deal with Steinberg’s licensing manager that they’ve been promising will go away for years (now 2025) but it can be done.

I’ve not compared it to RX11A yet but I will on the project consuming my time this summer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... yeah.... I know they're getting rid of eLicensor. (I think I actually have one of those dongles somewhere. Can't remember what I had to get it for.) I just did a test breaking a mix into stems and it didn't do half a bad job. I could see where once you split off a part you might do some manual cleanup.

Still... lol... funny thing is I'm thinking of just how easy it is now to remove vocals well enough that if I were in a cover band again, making backing songs minus lead vocal would be a breeze for practicing with... and memorizing lyrics. (Does anybody do that anymore? My pet peeve is iPads on stage. It's become acceptable but I don't like it in certain genres.)

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

My overall impression of SL10 vs. RX10 is that the latter does a good job of rebalancing the elements of a mix (with your intervention, of course) whereas the former does an amazing job of producing fairly artifact-free stems.

I am frequently handed tracks with regrets, and I only hope that the miracles I somehow manage to pull off do not encourage such artists to continue their habit of recording the entire band on one mic, with the mic in a disadvantageous position... :shock:

I suppose by now I have developed this as a niche skill, and one where there's less competition than standard production.

If RX11 is that much better for dialog isolate, and stem generation, I may feel impelled to do a trial run with it, but what I was hoping was that they would extend the coverage of stem categories. Most projects I do, are not standard rock quartets.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:13 pm My overall impression of SL10 vs. RX10 is that the latter does a good job of rebalancing the elements of a mix (with your intervention, of course) whereas the former does an amazing job of producing fairly artifact-free stems.

I am frequently handed tracks with regrets, and I only hope that the miracles I somehow manage to pull off do not encourage such artists to continue their habit of recording the entire band on one mic, with the mic in a disadvantageous position... :shock:

I suppose by now I have developed this as a niche skill, and one where there's less competition than standard production.

If RX11 is that much better for dialog isolate, and stem generation, I may feel impelled to do a trial run with it, but what I was hoping was that they would extend the coverage of stem categories. Most projects I do, are not standard rock quartets.
Yep. We all want whatever magic was being used on the Get Back documentary sessions — but that isn't available to us mortals yet. Someday...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Cut off date for free Spectral Layers update

Post by James Steele »

Well if anybody needs to know this, I wrote to Steinberg support. I paid to upgrade to the Pro Version Spectral Layers 10 on May 22, 2024. I asked If I would get a free upgrade to 11 when it's released. Answer is yes. Cut off date is May 15. If you upgraded or purchased after that, version 11 should be free.