Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11 - RESOLVED (MediaBay updated)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by James Steele »

...but next thing I'm going to try is install 11.5.0 and see if it will co-exist with the newer versions as a band-aid. I heard from MOTU that Steinberg is supposed to update MediaBay at some point to fix but they haven't.
Okay... well that DID NOT WORK. DP crashed immediately on loading HALion (AU FYI).

MediaBay is the culprit. So the bandaid for now is to uninstall MediaBay and the Steinberg plugins will work... at least they do for me... albeit with some limited sound browsing capability it seems.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

TY James! Will try this this weekend
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:53 pm TY James! Will try this this weekend
Cool... it is working here and I'm able to browse lots of presets in HALion, Padshop and Groove Agent. Backbone pops up with blank interface and The Grand still crashes.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by James Steele »

Just an update. After you run MediaBay Uninstaller.app, the next time you launch Steinberg Download Assistant, it will detect that MediaBay is missing and reinstall it. See screenshot:

updatingmediabay.jpg
updatingmediabay.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 374 times

At first I was excited when I saw this, hoping that Steinberg had released an updated (fixed) version, but apparently it's not out yet, so it reinstalled 1.1.70 and, as I expected, HALion, etc. crashes DP again. So be aware that until there is a fixed MediaBay from Steinberg, you'll have to run MediaBay Uninstaller.app and remove it again. I went ahead and copied the uninstaller app from the .dmg to my drive so it will be easy for me to uninstall MediaBay in the future.

miket

Post by miket »

Thanks a lot James,
Your advice to deinstall MediaBay solved the issue. Now Groove Agent 5.x runs and doesn't crash DP11.

If Steinberg Download Assistant installs Media Bay again, I'll deinstall it.

James Steele wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:18 pm Just an update. After you run MediaBay Uninstaller.app, the next time you launch Steinberg Download Assistant, it will detect that MediaBay is missing and reinstall it. See screenshot:

updatingmediabay.jpg

At first I was excited when I saw this, hoping that Steinberg had released an updated (fixed) version, but apparently it's not out yet, so it reinstalled 1.1.70 and, as I expected, HALion, etc. crashes DP again. So be aware that until there is a fixed MediaBay from Steinberg, you'll have to run MediaBay Uninstaller.app and remove it again. I went ahead and copied the uninstaller app from the .dmg to my drive so it will be easy for me to uninstall MediaBay in the future.
Life without music would be a mistake
----------------------------------
MacPro 10core i9 10850K MacBookPro 16" i9 DP11 2 16A 2 828mk3 2 8PRE Ultralite mk5 3 MidiExpress 128
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

miket wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:00 pm Thanks a lot James,
Your advice to deinstall MediaBay solved the issue. Now Groove Agent 5.x runs and doesn't crash DP11.

If Steinberg Download Assistant installs Media Bay again, I'll deinstall it.
Well, one of these days Steinberg will update MediaBay and hopefully fix this issue, which, AFAIK is only affecting DP. However, when I spoke with someone at MOTU they claim that it's something Steinberg needs to fix. I forgot the rationale, but it made sense when it was explained to me.

You can get the latest version of MediaBay by going here:
https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/down ... ro_13.html

At the top you'll see the download for MediaBay:

mediabaydownload.jpg
mediabaydownload.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 327 times

ACTUALLY THEY MAY HAVE JUST RELEASED THE NEW VERSION!!!!

I was going to write how you needed to download it and then mount the .dmg and it would show you the version number. The problem version was 1.1.70 and earlier. Well just now I did this and it shows that it is now version 1.1.80! This MIGHT be the fix we've been waiting for. I'm installing from the downloaded installer instead of Steinberg Download Assistant, but I'm very hopeful! I'll report back!!!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

GREAT NEWS.... MEDIA BAY 1.1.80 IS OUT TODAY AND IT FIXES ISSUES WITH DP!!!!

I just verified it. Both downloading the installer direct or letting Steinberg Download Assistant update/install it on launch. MediaBay 1.1.70 is replaced by MediaBay 1.1.80 and it fixes the problems with Digital Performer!!!!

:woohoo:

greg328

Re: Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11 - RESOLVED (MediaBay updated)

Post by greg328 »

YAY! So this means that Halion and Groove Agent and Padshop et al, "should" open now in DP?

I'll install the new Mediabay in the AM with fingers, toes and eyes crossed--hoping!

Greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
greg328

Re: Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11 - RESOLVED (MediaBay updated)

Post by greg328 »

James--good news all around--!

Off topic--I'm noticing all our timestamps on each post are wayyyyy off. Is this something you need to adjust on your end?

Since everybody's seems off--I'm surmising it's a global setting on your side--??

Greg
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Let's see what it says when I post now.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

it's okay for me. What you need to do I think is go into your User Control Panel and choose Board Settings and it lets you select the time zone that you live in and then it should be correct. The board doesn't know where you live by your IP.

greg328

Post by greg328 »

James Steele wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:17 am it's okay for me. What you need to do I think is go into your User Control Panel and choose Board Settings and it lets you select the time zone that you live in and then it should be correct. The board doesn't know where you live by your IP.
Yes you were correct, sorry to bother, I've got it fixed now!
Greg
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:32 am
James Steele wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:17 am it's okay for me. What you need to do I think is go into your User Control Panel and choose Board Settings and it lets you select the time zone that you live in and then it should be correct. The board doesn't know where you live by your IP.
Yes you were correct, sorry to bother, I've got it fixed now!
Greg
No bother! :D

db4663

Post by db4663 »

The long wait is over! Thanks for sharing the news, James.

You continue to amaze with your commitment to sharing knowledge.

DB
miket

Post by miket »

By the way, I upgraded Cubase 13 pro to the latest version and, as usual, Steinberg Download manager updated also Media Bay... Thus, I checked whether Groove Agent would crash again DP 11.32 but, to my amazement, now the virtual instrument is loaded fine... Perhaps, Steinberg did sometihing to fix it.
Life without music would be a mistake
----------------------------------
MacPro 10core i9 10850K MacBookPro 16" i9 DP11 2 16A 2 828mk3 2 8PRE Ultralite mk5 3 MidiExpress 128