Recording Plug Ins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
shigekawa@icloud.com
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording Plug Ins

Post by shigekawa@icloud.com »

Hello, I would like to record the plugins while recording. For example, I'd like to add a compressor to a vocal track while recording it so the compression is printed to the recorded track and will not be changed if I later remove the compressor plugin. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Andy
Lane

Re: Recording Plug Ins

Post by Lane »

Bring your recorded signal into an Aux track with your compressor loaded. The output of that track then goes to your audio track. The effect will be printed.
DP 9.52 / MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 / OSX 10.13.6 / 16gb RAM / Glyph 050Q / MOTU Audio Express / Dynaudio BM5A's/ Massive / VSL Special Edition / Addictive Drums 2/ Goliath/ EWQLSO Gold/Waves Musicians Bundle
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Lane wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:33 am Bring your recorded signal into an Aux track with your compressor loaded. The output of that track then goes to your audio track. The effect will be printed.
This.

Any compressor plug-in added directly to your signal chain while tracking can increase latency, especially if it has "look ahead" functionality. Not an issue while mixing.

I never track with compression.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Are you using a Universal Audio Apollo? You can print no latency high quality UAD effects with that (predicated on you owning them of course). If you don't, you can buy-in for as little as $300 used.

Do you have a problem with processing power? There isn't really a benefit sonically to printing digital effects. If it is analog, then yes obviously that is baked in. You can print an effect to a track in DP without freezing. I sometimes do this also with an external waveform editor (Hairersoft Amadeus Pro or iZotope RX) and do sometimes apply compression and clipping either to simplify my mix or for sending files to someone else to mix.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

shigekawa@icloud.com wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:13 am...I'd like to add a compressor to a vocal track while recording...
Latency could be problematic here. While small latencies usually don't bother instrumentalists, vocals are often more sensitive to it. Since we hear our own voice internally as well as externally very short delays (even a few ms) are sometimes bothersome to some vocalists wearing headphones. Just something to be aware of.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.