Audio to MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio to MIDI

Post by wilkinsi »

I have some DI guitar and audio synth tracks I want to copy audio to MIDI. Unfortunately, I can only select one of 2 instead of 3 conversion types. Melodyne is not available. I want to essentially convert audio to MIDI, then send that MIDI to an instrument track. This would save having to buy an expensive and annoying glitchy guitar to MIDI pickup and processor. Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong? I also seem to have automatically updated to 11.3.94678 when I specifically set it NOT to auto update.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
stubbsonic

Re: Audio to MIDI

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, I'm seeing the same thing. Melodyne is greyed out. First time I've tried using it.

When I did render it using the available option, it didn't get the polyphonic bits.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.3 and 11.31 made some improvements in Audio to MIDI functionality that got a major update in DP 11.2. MOTU has videos that can take you through the basics. This one from David Das is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFBPI5Ro74
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The video shows Melodyne as an option. But in my DP (latest version), the Melodyne is greyed out; just as it is with @wilkinsi.

I had recently installed a demo of Melodyne, and it might have caused some issues installing over DP's version of it (?).

I guess I can try reinstalling DP, to see if that corrects it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The VST3 version of Melodyne must be enabled in DP's Plugins Preferences, even if you are using the AU. ARA compatibility should follow. Audio menu>ARA.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:17 pm The video shows Melodyne as an option. But in my DP (latest version), the Melodyne is greyed out; just as it is with @wilkinsi.

I had recently installed a demo of Melodyne, and it might have caused some issues installing over DP's version of it (?).
That's right. I installed Essentials on my laptop instead of Studio just to check out the functionality. I have Melodyne Studio installed on my Studio. I can emulate Essentials if I wanted but DP only calls up the one version.
I guess I can try reinstalling DP, to see if that corrects it.
No need to reinstall DP. Melodyne is downloaded and activated separately. You should be able to remove Studio and reinstall Essentials.

To Uninstall Melodyne:

https://helpcenter.celemony.com/M5/doc/ ... standAlone

From the DP Getting Started Guide:
Melodyne Essentials is included with Digital Performer 11.2. Log in to your motu.com account to redeem your serial number and view instructions for how to install and activate Melodyne Essentials.
From motu.com (my User Account):
Now included with Digital Performer 11, Melodyne 5 Essential™ is an ARA2 plug-in that delivers unrivaled, state-of-the-art pitch editing and beat editing to your tracks using industry-recognized, Grammy-Award-winning algorithms. You can use Melodyne’s processing to sculpt your vocals and other tracks directly within the context of your production. Melodyne also produces excellent results with DP’s “Copy Audio to MIDI” feature, which converts pitched audio, percussive audio and drum loops to MIDI notes.

You can upgrade to more advanced versions of Melodyne at any time to unlock even more editing and control.

If you already own Melodyne, you can use your Melodyne essential serial number below as a coupon in the Celemony web shop when purchasing an update or upgrade.

To install and activate Melodyne Essentials, click the button above to jump to the Melodyne web site to register your copy and download your unique Melodyne Essential installer. After installation, the first time you run Melodyne within DP (using the ARA menu), you’ll be asked to activate your copy of Melodyne Essential.
As an AU, Melodyne runs as it always has. To use as an ARA2 plug-in, one must activate and run the VST3 version.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

cuttime wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:39 pm The VST3 version of Melodyne must be enabled in DP's Plugins Preferences, even if you are using the AU. ARA compatibility should follow. Audio menu>ARA.
Enabling the VST3 version did the trick.

Thanks 2/2 & MH!!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ha! I was going to mention that you have to enable the VST3 version of Melodyne… but I just assumed most users knew that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There's an AU version and VST3 version. I hadn't bothered to try this feature (no need), so it flew under my radar. I didn't even realize it used the plugin.

It will come in handy though-- especially for getting a rough start on something. In the quick test I did, it seemed to work pretty well (about 80% accurate) with it's biggest weakness being leaving out notes (which is probably the best case-- I..e, when it doubt...)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

YMMV with the Melodyne conversion. I actually got better results with Basic Pitch.

https://basicpitch.spotify.com/

There are a number online audio to MIDI converters.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

With the advent of de-mixers (unmixers?), I should imagine the ability to get a good starting point on transcriptions would be pretty nice.

Thanks for linking the Spotify tool, 2/2. Will check it out.

wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

Ah. So I don't even have Melodyne or ADA installed... That wasn't in the video..
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

so I installed Melodyne 5 as both AU and VST. Didn't show as an option in audio to MIDI. Not sure I downloaded the correct version. What links should I be using to download Melodyne and ADA from for Mac OS X Ventura 13.6.1?
MOTU 828es
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If I'm not mistaken, DP's installer should take care of installing Melodyne. Did you see the instruction above where you have to go to:

Digital Performer / Settings... / General / Audio plugins

Then scroll down in the plugins list until you see the VST3 plugins start appearing in the list. Click on the check box for Melodyne's VST3. When you click DONE, it will do a reload of the audio system. Then check to see if Melodyne is now ready to meet your Audio-to-MIDI desires.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:39 amThen scroll down in the plugins list until you see the VST3 plugins start appearing in the list. Click on the check box for Melodyne's VST3. When you click DONE, it will do a reload of the audio system. Then check to see if Melodyne is now ready to meet your Audio-to-MIDI desires.
Just to be on the safe side, also check to make sure that the AU version of Melodyne is un-checked. Pretty sure it's possible to have both formats load at once and that could be confusing.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!