Single interface (828x)-any reason to use external clock?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gtrnstuff
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Single interface (828x)-any reason to use external clock?

Post by gtrnstuff »

I have used an Apogee Rosetta for decades because at the time, I thought the conversion sounded warmer and better than the MOTU 828mkII.
Rosetta is clock master, over TOSlink.
It's been reliable, and clients seem happy with my tracks.
With my newer 828x, I'm thinking of simplifying and ditching the Rosetta.
Changing sample rates according to client needs seems a lot simpler just using the internal clock of the 828x.
Will it be as stable?
Guilty of overthinking this?
TIA
Mac Mini 3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7
16G RAM
DP 11
OS 12.6.3
Apogee Rosetta toslink to 828x, USB to computer
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Single interface (828x)-any reason to use external clock?

Post by James Steele »

From what I have read and heard, if you use just a single interface (or even multiple older MOTU PCI "AudioWire" interfaces) there's no need to have an external clock. You only need it if you need to supply a clock source to synchronize multiple pieces of gear. There's not technical reason (again from what I've read) that your interface would sound any better slaved to external word clock than its own internal clock.

I bought a Lucid wordclock generator years ago (can't remember the model number... I think Gen 192 or something) that I put away in mothballs. I'm keeping it in case I ever need to synch multiple pieces of gear and need external sync.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gtrnstuff

Post by gtrnstuff »

Makes sense. Thanks for confirming that.
16G RAM
DP 11
OS 12.6.3
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

gtrnstuff wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:09 pm Makes sense. Thanks for confirming that.
Some others might have other opinions... but that's what I've always understood. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU recommends an external clock when there are three or more units connected.

If you have sync issues, connect it over USB 2 instead of TB. The 828x uses a built-in Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter for connectivity. Since all MOTU FW devices run at FW400 speeds, there's a chance that the Fast USB 2 connection will result in slightly lower RTL (round trip latency).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:MOTU recommends an external clock when there are three or more units connected.

If you have sync issues, connect it over USB 2 instead of TB. The 828x uses a built-in Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter for connectivity. Since all MOTU FW devices run at FW400 speeds, there's a chance that the Fast USB 2 connection will result in slightly lower RTL (round trip latency).
Right. I know they’re “obsolete” now but with the old PCIe-424 systems, IIRC you didn’t need any external clock. With the newer ones I can see that making sense. I’m actually going to dig out my old Lucid clock and hook it up to my 828es and 24Ai just for giggles and try it out. As long as it doesn’t *degrade* the sound in any way, it might prove useful.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:55 pm
Right. I know they’re “obsolete” now but with the old PCIe-424 systems, IIRC you didn’t need any external clock. With the newer ones I can see that making sense. I’m actually going to dig out my old Lucid clock and hook it up to my 828es and 24Ai just for giggles and try it out. As long as it doesn’t *degrade* the sound in any way, it might prove useful.
You are as incorrigible as I.

OTOH, I have turned down those who would give back my old 2408/424 and the G5 over which I ran it. Enough!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just found my old rack mount external clock unit. It’s a Lucid GENx192. I have some empty spaces to fill up. I’m gonna throw it in the rack and do some experiments with it. In the past, I’ve actually had occasional issues with DP not changing project sample rates or thinking there was a mismatch between the SR of project sound bites and the current sample rate when there wasn’t. I used to have to power cycle the 828es (and maybe relaunch DP, I don’t remember) to fix that. Maybe an external clock might improve that?

gtrnstuff

Post by gtrnstuff »

James Steele wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 pm I just found my old rack mount external clock unit. It’s a Lucid GENx192. I have some empty spaces to fill up. I’m gonna throw it in the rack and do some experiments with it. In the past, I’ve actually had occasional issues with DP not changing project sample rates or thinking there was a mismatch between the SR of project sound bites and the current sample rate when there wasn’t. I used to have to power cycle the 828es (and maybe relaunch DP, I don’t remember) to fix that. Maybe an external clock might improve that?
Things like that are why I wanted to just use my single interface and internal clock.
I discovered that after loading a DP project with a different sample rate than the current one, the most reliable way to change was to do it in the DP window, letting MOTU Audio Setup follow, while I manually changed the Rosetta on its front panel.
Running just the 828x today, it can still take a moment to switch, but I think it is a more streamlined approach.
16G RAM
DP 11
OS 12.6.3
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

gtrnstuff wrote:
James Steele wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 pm I just found my old rack mount external clock unit. It’s a Lucid GENx192. I have some empty spaces to fill up. I’m gonna throw it in the rack and do some experiments with it. In the past, I’ve actually had occasional issues with DP not changing project sample rates or thinking there was a mismatch between the SR of project sound bites and the current sample rate when there wasn’t. I used to have to power cycle the 828es (and maybe relaunch DP, I don’t remember) to fix that. Maybe an external clock might improve that?
Things like that are why I wanted to just use my single interface and internal clock.
I discovered that after loading a DP project with a different sample rate than the current one, the most reliable way to change was to do it in the DP window, letting MOTU Audio Setup follow, while I manually changed the Rosetta on its front panel.
Running just the 828x today, it can still take a moment to switch, but I think it is a more streamlined approach.
Actually the mismatch problems happen using the internal clock and not an external clock. Honestly though I don’t see the point unless one has to synchronize gear that needs it. I had been thinking about hooking it up just for fun directly to the 828es and the 24Ai, as an experiment, but i doubt I’ll do it now. The 828es internal clock is the master, and my 24Ai is connected via AVB which carries clock information and it all works fine. But I may just put it in the rack in case I have a device down the road that needs to be synchronized. Who knows. I have empty spaces. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 pm I just found my old rack mount external clock unit. It’s a Lucid GENx192. I have some empty spaces to fill up. I’m gonna throw it in the rack and do some experiments with it.
If nothing else, have it flash its lights to further enhance the studio magic. :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:29 pm
James Steele wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 pm I just found my old rack mount external clock unit. It’s a Lucid GENx192. I have some empty spaces to fill up. I’m gonna throw it in the rack and do some experiments with it.
If nothing else, have it flash its lights to further enhance the studio magic. :lol:
Hahaha... yeah... I almost bought another freestanding rack off Craiglist because it was a good deal and to allow "room to grow" should I decide to get a few more pieces of decent hardware to add to my Warm Audio WA-2A and my AudioScape 76F compressors. But it would have looked terribly empty. However, I have quite the extensive "boneyard" of retired rack gear that I could use to easily fill it up to make it "look the business" until I can get some real stuff to put in it! LOL

Which reminds me. Does anybody remember Funk Logic? Looks like they just have one fake faceplate model now.

Which reminds me. I saw a photo that was purportedly recent of a singer in a famous rock band in his home studio and behind him in a rack was a Panasonic SV-3700! LOL I thought those were boat anchors today? I still have mine in a closet! The tray makes a funny noise now when it slides out, but otherwise I believe it's still functional!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 am Does anybody remember Funk Logic? Looks like they just have one fake faceplate model now.
Love Funk Logic. Very transparent sounding, no noise or coloration whatsoever.

They have 1, 2 and 3-space rack mount units, plus 500 Series now. Freestanding desk model as well.

https://www.funklogic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:35 pm
James Steele wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 am Does anybody remember Funk Logic? Looks like they just have one fake faceplate model now.
Love Funk Logic. Very transparent sounding, no noise or coloration whatsoever.

They have 1, 2 and 3-space rack mount units, plus 500 Series now. Freestanding desk model as well.

https://www.funklogic.com
Funny thing... I got a whole bunch of stuff that are technically working units that probably cost less than the Funk Logic "spacers!" Want a couple MIDIverb IIs? How about a Behringer UltraFex? LOL. Oh my... still have a Roland SDE-1000... nice delay unit. And a DeltaLab delay also... can't remember the model offhand. It has the pushbuttons. :)