828 MKII driver issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Atardecer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 MKII driver issues

Post by Atardecer »

Hey

Have got myself a new compuater which is decidedly more stable than the last (and has a Texas Instrument chip on the firwire port) and am having major problems installing the drivers.

No matter what i do my computer will refuse to acknowledge ths ASIOn drivers in any ASIO supported program. They simply do not appear in the windows sound and devices menu nor in cubase SX3, Reason, any other prgram i use. There is an option to select an ASIO driver but it is not the usual MOTU FireWire option, and when i select it it says an uknown error has occured with the driver.

Audio console and cuemix both run fine and windows recognises that it is there but it just wont install the ASIO drivers. WDM drivers and GSIF drivers are installed however.

Had lots of stability problems on the old computer (which was a piece of ••••) but never had this problem. Must be something with the new computer but dont know what as it is made of all quality parts. Uninstalling and reinstalling produces the same effect.
Anyone had a similar problem?
Specs: P4 3.6, Intel 819145P PRO M/B, 2 gb Corsair RAM, 300 SATA/RAID, Windows XP (SP 2), MOTU 828 MKII, Cubase SX3.1, Reason 3)
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

Anyone??

Am getting desperate here. MOTU have suggested a few things like IRQ conflicts, disabling the onboard sound, all of which i've checked. Honestly, i dont think they have any idea. That makes 2 of us.
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

Buehler?? Buehler??
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

This isnt really working
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

Man, there's an echo in here. :roll: Well, actually now Cuemix wont open at all. Says there's an error. MOTU WDM and MME drivers are selectable but still no ASIO driver. Tested the unit on my old computer which has a VIA chip on the firewire port and a VIA M/B and it runs fine. Whats going on here? Please, some help would be much appreciated as MOTU tech support havent replied to my emails. BTW, i do NOT have a virus of any sort.
pwhodges

Post by pwhodges »

Have you installed the Windows firewire hotfixes?

Paul
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

pwhodges wrote:Have you installed the Windows firewire hotfixes?

Paul
Thank u for your reply! No, i was just thinking that today because i remembered that my old computer had Windows SP 1 installed and the new computer has SP 2. I think i remember some people complaining about the viability of SP2 with audio apps.

I will give it a try
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

Hey can you (or anyone for that matter) please et us know what exactly what hotfixes are relevant. I did a search on the windows XP website and found one that concerned firewire setting problems with updates from SP 1 and SP 2 and another one concerning firewire and video rendering which is not really relevant. Are there any others?

Cheers
rezin8

Post by rezin8 »

I have had similar problems with my 828mk2 in WinXP over the last couple of months and my final solution is to use WinXP SP1. I have tested WinXP both with SP2 and SP1, both with a Ti chipset Firewire controller and identical hardware.

On SP2 I cannot get the 828mk2 to run at any sample rates higher than 48kHz or with the ADAT ports enabled, it just comes back with Error 25 when trying to run Cuemix or any ASIO enabled software.

On SP1 the 828mk2 runs perfectly at any sample rate and with the ADAT's all enabled, in all ASIO programs.

Tech support have advised me to try the Firewire Hotfix for SP2 and I will do this when I get a chance, but I can't afford the possible problems/downtime at the moment.

Hope this helps.
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

hey rezin8,

I've just downloaded one of the firewire hotfixes so will let you know if it works. I have EXACTLY the same problems as you with the cuemix console (error 25) although i cant get the 828 going at any sample rate. I have found one good function for the 828 while having these problems though: it makes for a really nifty food tray when your eating in front of the computer. Its a perfect match for my Bachelor of Arts coaster...
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

Well, I did install the firewire hotfix. I dont know how many there are but this one conerns changes to the sidspeed of the firewire host controller in SP 2. Well, my advice? Dont F**King DO IT! Not only did it NOT fix the problem but now the computer simply will not even recognise the MOTU, whatever firewire port i use. The computer tells me that the host controller is working properly and there are no problems. It does absolutely nothing. I followed the instructions to the letter. Good thing i backed up the registry...

Well, I'm not sure that this so-called fix is really related to the problem i'm having anyway. Does anyone know of other fixes? My problem is with the ASIO driver. Still, in the sounds and audio devices tab it list the MOTU FireWire Audio driver as damaged or corrupt. I can only assume it is a SP 2 problem as this doesnt happen on my unreliable old SP 1 computer.

Which brings me to another question. My OEM version of windows comes with SP 2. How do i go back to SP 1? Its easy enough to upgrade to SP 2 but how do you "downgrade" to SP 1? I dont want to have to buy another version of Windows. Gee, I cant help but feel that Microsoft somehow dont deserve my extra money.

Well, i've had enough of this piece of •••• soundcard. I've had nothing but problems since i got it. No doubt it sounds great WHEN it works. Thats just not often enough for my liking. Time to trade it in. I could write a bestseller on the problems associated with this thing using windows. I've already knocked back 2 jobs and i'll be damned if i'm gonna knock back more. Any Mac users out there want to buy an 828 MKII nice 'n cheap? I'm serious. If u are a windows user i will not sell it to you.
rezin8

Post by rezin8 »

Sounds bad :(

One thing I would try would be to try a different Firewire cable.

I will suggest how I acheived some success on my system, with XP SP2.

-switch off your 828 and reboot windows, leaving the 828 off
-remove all motu drivers and remove the SP2 Firewire hotfix
-ensure that your Ti chipset Firewire controller card is the only one that is enabled, installed or present on your system
-reinstall the drivers for your Ti chipset Firewire controller card
-install the motu drivers
-reboot PC
-once Windows has completely booted up switch on the 828

Hopefully you will then go through the driver install process and get some
joy out of it. I had loads of problems with mine in SP2 but I did have basic (low latency ASIO) functionality at 48kHz.

You should test out just sticking to 48k and with both ADAT in and out ports disabled in Audio Console.

Hope you have some success.
calaveras

Post by calaveras »

Here is what I am doing whcih may sound counter-intuitive to some folks. I am running Windows 2000 SP4 with pretty much everything disabled. No printing, no serial ports, no Lan, no floppy. Just firewire, video and 2 raid contollers. Even with this I have had to use powerstrip to manage my pci latency timers. As far as Xp goes, I don't see anything compelling about it persuade me into upgrading to it. You might be able to get 2000 professional from a local system integrator or VAR. I have seen OEM versions of 2000 go for $60. 2000 is essentially identical to XP in most wasy except for the candyass interface and apparently there is a limit on 2000 of only 10 MIDI in/out ports.
828MkII w/BLA mod, Digi R1 control surface, Logic 8, Sonar 8.3PE , TC Powercore, Waldorf Edition, XP SP3, OS X Leopard, XILs, Stillwell Plugs