DP 11.02

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.02

Post by corbo-billy »

FMiguelez wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:29 pm Wow! RIP Rewire...

So how is Live and Reason supposed to communicate with DP now without it? Is there a new protocol?
For REASON, you can use ReasonRack in Digital Performer _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

corbo-billy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:58 pm
FMiguelez wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:29 pm Wow! RIP Rewire...

So how is Live and Reason supposed to communicate with DP now without it? Is there a new protocol?
For REASON, you can use ReasonRack in Digital Performer _
It should be mentioned that MIDI out from the Reason Rack is only possible in the VSTi3 version. So using the chords, arps, drum machines outside of Reason Rack requires the VSTi3 plug in.

Here's the clincher though, the VSTi3 Reason Rack instrument only shows up as an audio or aux track. You can send MIDI to it like it was an instrument. The aux track works the best because pre gen has to be disabled for the audio track version to be playable latency wise. With this set up Reason Rack VSTi3 presents itself as a MIDI track input, allowing you to use it's MIDI tools in DP with other instruments etc.

I've opened a support ticket about it, another user here thought it might be due to Reason Rack taking audio inputs etc. but Zebra 2 VSTi3 also presents itself as an audio plug in, ugh! Anyway hope this helps someone else out.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Maybe someone here should talk to a music software developer, rather than relying on strangely literal readings of Digital Performer manuals. Oh, wait, I am a music software developer. So let me try to shine some light on this "debate". Which is actually not a subject fit for debate, since it involves a specific technical implementation and not theory.

Mike Canavan is correct. Obviously MOTU has written support for ReWire into DP (and now written it out). Whether that support uses direct dll loading (as on Windows), or CoreAudio driver access (as on macOS), it has to be explicitly added to the code.

And now it has been explicitly removed. As mentioned in the release notes, which those inclined to strangely literal, close readings of user manuals can pore over for a while.
2Early2Late

Re: DP 11.02. Interoperability w/Rewire

Post by 2Early2Late »

First post.
Just got off ph w/Matt @ MOTU re: DP11.x Interoperability w/Rewire.

Regardless of misleading MOTU DP documentation (I'VE SEEN IT TOO¡¡¡).
Rewire NOT supported by DP11. NOT SUPPORTED!

My application (not) = Sibelius slaved to DP11. WILL NOT WORK as no RW support in DP11.

Matt suggested a VST plugin w/similar function/architecture to (defunct PH) might be an alt. @ 'some time/where).
He wasn't more specific. lol.

AVID 'recursively' state that Pro-T syncs w/Sib 7.5.1 via PH.
I don't use PT, can't say.
END :cry:
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

2Early2Late wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:43 pm First post.
Just got off ph w/Matt @ MOTU re: DP11.x Interoperability w/Rewire.

Regardless of misleading MOTU DP documentation (I'VE SEEN IT TOO¡¡¡).

My application (not) = Sibelius slaved to DP11. WILL NOT WORK as no RW support in DP11.

Matt suggested a VST plugin w/similar function/architecture to (defunct PH) might be an alt. @ 'some time/where).

AVID 'recursively' state that Pro-T syncs w/Sib 7.5.1 via PH.
I don't use PT, can't say.
Welcome first off! :headbang:
Too many abbreviations. PH is what? Are you mixing up Rewire with Propellerheads? Reason Studios old name? Also what does this mean? "My application (not) = Sibelius slaved to DP11. "
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

2Early2Late wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:43 pm

I too rely on the ability to sync timeline playback (not audio) between Digital Performer and Sibelius. It has become an indispensable part of my workflow to have a mockup in DP with the Sibelius score following along. Rewire is outdated but it has performed this function reliably.

I understand MOTU’s decision to remove rewire support, but the timing is most unfortunate, as there is no viable alternative. I had really hoped Dorico 4 would bring a new syncing framework, though Cubase 12 is yet to be released, so that could introduce something (à la Ableton Link).

So for now, I’m stuck on 11.01 which is okay for the moment but far from ideal. I would be curious if there’s a plugin solution that would allow rewire on 11.03.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BUT IT WORKS only on the Mac.

DP hasn't supported ReWire in years and that's ok because it doesn't have to. Because there is no direct support, ReWire does not work in the Windows version of DP.

If you install GarageBand, FinalCut Pro, MainStage or Logic, the necessary RW components are installed by Apple.

DP on the Mac uses CoreAudio to communicate with RW — this is explained in the DP 10 user manual and, though no longer in the DP 11 manual, the behavior is unchanged. Finale, in my case, supports ReWire and communicates fine with Logic and DP 11.03. I use it every week.

The RW code has been depreciated for years now and no doubt Apple will stop installing it. When that happens Finale will no longer be able to send MIDI in real time to DP. Oh well… there are workarounds but I don't have to deal with them today.

I suppose that I should look for those components on my wife's M1 after I install GarageBand.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 pm
DP on the Mac uses CoreAudio to communicate with RW — this is explained in the DP 10 user manual and, though no longer in the DP 11 manual, the behavior is unchanged. Finale, in my case, supports ReWire and communicates fine with Logic and DP 11.03. I use it every week.
Mike, I attempted this once before without success, but in light of your comment, I updated to 11.03 to try again. Prior to 11.02, Finale and Sibelius Rewire inputs would appear in the instruments tab of the bundles window. In my experience, Finale and Sibelius would not launch in slave mode unless you first had an open DP session with a rewire instrument bundle assigned to the input of an active aux track.

Upon installing 11.02 (and .03), I am no longer able to create those bundles—the Finale and Sibelius rewire inputs have disappeared from the instruments tab. This is happening specifically in DP and not other DAWs on my system. Very curious as to how you're getting this to work.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

MOTU removed rewire from DP 11 in one of the updates, can't remember which one; due to flakey behavior and the fact that Rewire is no longer supported technology. It is what it is. There are some users out there that have been relying on Rewire for a long time, but this was doomed to happen sooner or later.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dewdman42 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 am MOTU removed rewire from DP 11 in one of the updates, can't remember which one; due to flakey behavior and the fact that Rewire is no longer supported technology. It is what it is. There are some users out there that have been relying on Rewire for a long time, but this was doomed to happen sooner or later.
MOTU removed old RW code in DP 11.02 that was causing crashing problems for some users in DP 11.01 and removed all mention of it from the DP 11 manual.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

lydian91 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am
Mike, I attempted this once before without success, but in light of your comment, I updated to 11.03 to try again. Prior to 11.02, Finale and Sibelius Rewire inputs would appear in the instruments tab of the bundles window. In my experience, Finale and Sibelius would not launch in slave mode unless you first had an open DP session with a rewire instrument bundle assigned to the input of an active aux track.

Upon installing 11.02 (and .03), I am no longer able to create those bundles—the Finale and Sibelius rewire inputs have disappeared from the instruments tab. This is happening specifically in DP and not other DAWs on my system. Very curious as to how you're getting this to work.
In my setup, DP is the Slave and Finale is the Master. This still works with Finale 27.1 driving DP 11.03 — even though it's neither mentioned nor supported.
Mr Clifford

Post by Mr Clifford »

lydian91 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am I understand MOTU’s decision to remove rewire support, but the timing is most unfortunate, as there is no viable alternative. I had really hoped Dorico 4 would bring a new syncing framework, though Cubase 12 is yet to be released, so that could introduce something (à la Ableton Link).

So for now, I’m stuck on 11.01 which is okay for the moment but far from ideal. I would be curious if there’s a plugin solution that would allow rewire on 11.03.
I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for a reason as to why ReWire still works on my installed version of DP9, but not on my trial version of DP11 (trying before I buy a.t.m.).
This does indeed seem unfortunate. I guess since Reason Studios bundled Reason into a Plug-in to run inside DAW's they figured that there was no reason (pun unavoidable) to support Re-wire anymore - forgetting about the Sibelius/Finale -> DAW connection that has become really significant in the scoring world. I must admit that Sibelius rewired to DP has been getting flakier and flakier over the last few years, but it does leave a rather large hole in my workflow for the time being (it will be interesting to see what AVID do with Pro Tools & Sibelius - given their vested interest in running the two apps together).

In regards to Dorico Sync - this was something I found on the Dorico forum, and it's working great for me with DP. There's a plugin called TXL Timecode (costs around €20), which you load as a VST instrument in Dorico, and it sends to MTC to DP which you can sync from. It seems much more solid than Re-wire & Sibelius ever was, and you can pause it easily by taking DP out of sync mode. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work with Sibelius - not sure if that means you can't though.

This is the link.
https://txl20.com/product/txl-timecode-plug-in/
Mac OSX 10.14.6. Mac Pro. RME FF800. DP 9.52