New MackBook Pro & Old Hardware Question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Scatz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New MackBook Pro & Old Hardware Question

Post by Scatz »

Hi,
I'm currently using an older MBP (2012 Sierra)) with 828MKII FW, 8pre FW and an 8Pre USB with DP8.
This set up has ran smoothly since day 1 and has everything I need.
I would however like to upgrade to the new MBP just released Oct 18th/21, as have a feeling my MBP is on it's last legs!

Apart from needing FW800 to FW4 adaptors etc, my question is,
Would I be able to use the current Drivers with the new Mac OS (Monterey), or this going to be the beginning of some costly Motu interface upgrades and major headaches?
Will my old gear work with the new Mac FW4 inputs or is this unkown at this time?

I apologize if these are lame questions but as versed as I am with DP8, I'm not quite up to speed on the technical side of computers.
Appreciate any input (especially if it's in Laymen's terms!)
Cheers
DP11, MacBook Pro 12.0, 16 Gig Ram, Motu 828MKll FW, 8Pre USB, 2 x 8Pre FW, Motu Micro Lite,
Lexicon, Yamaha, Mackie, dbx, Roland TD20 etc, etc.......
http://www.groovewerx.com www.oneuglycowboy.com
HCMarkus

Re: New MackBook Pro & Old Hardware Question

Post by HCMarkus »

Check software available for your specific interfaces. I took a quick look, and the 828mkII driver is listed as compatible thru macOS10.13.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog

Others are probably more in touch with your concerns re: compatibility and will, hopefully, weigh in with more info. I suspect you may need to buy more hardware than a new Mac to have a system that works as it does for you now.

I moved from an 828mkii to an 828ES when the ES was released. Super simple transition, as the ES has all the I/O the mkII has (including then punch-in/out footswitch jack) and more, including two pairs of optical I/O ports and a super-flexible built-in monitoring mixer and FX. If you mate the ES with your 8Pres via the optical ports (the 8pres have optical I/O, right?), you will be rolling with all the inputs you now enjoy. The ES drivers are Apple Silicon macOS11 ready.

Not sure about the 8Pres... they could possibly interface directly with a new Apple Silicon laptop, but that may apply to the USB model only..

Good luck and happy hunting!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

We don't know which drivers are going to work for your new MBP. That said, there are still current MOTU interfaces that use the same drivers as your units and users have them working over Big Sur (including my 828mkII FW).

So, the current drivers will or won't work but MOTU will release something that does if they haven't yet.

You will plug your FW800 cable or adapter into the Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter and you will plug that into Apple's TB 1/2 to TB 3 adapter that goes into one of the TB 4 ports or a TB 4 hub (see below). Get the Apple adapters only.

If you are daisy-chaining the FW devices, you should be good with one set; if not, get a pair of each adapter.

Don't worry about Thunderbolt 4. TB4 allows you to use a hub that accepts multiple TB 3 devices. This is huge because TB 3 ports allow only one and TB 3 hubs can accept only one TB device. If you do not have enough USB C ports, a TB 4 hub is your solution.

Your USB interface plugs into the USB 3 port or USB-C through a USB-A to USB-C cable.

That new MBP looks incredible. It's everything I want in a large iMac. I'd have one on order today if the new iMac was announced. :mumble:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Scatz

Post by Scatz »

Thank you both, Mike and Markus
Very helpful, gives me a bit of confidence that my system will work with some adaptors. Hopefully the Drivers too, if not now but in the near future.
I'm sure MOTU won't let me down.
I'll post my results once I get the new MBP, hopefully within a week or so.
Cheers
DP11, MacBook Pro 12.0, 16 Gig Ram, Motu 828MKll FW, 8Pre USB, 2 x 8Pre FW, Motu Micro Lite,
Scatz

Post by Scatz »

FYI, everything works perfect with the Motu Monterey OS 12 download, surprisingly easier than expected.
Only one issue, I have to Authorize DP8 every time I open it, (enter email, Name & Keycode) it's just an extra step but will be an issue as I use DP in Live situations and won't always have access to the internet which is required to Activate DP8!!
Anyone have a fix??
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Scatz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:35 pm FYI, everything works perfect with the Motu Monterey OS 12 download, surprisingly easier than expected.
Only one issue, I have to Authorize DP8 every time I open it, (enter email, Name & Keycode) it's just an extra step but will be an issue as I use DP in Live situations and won't always have access to the internet which is required to Activate DP8!!
Anyone have a fix??
You need to upgrade DP. I've answered this more completely in your other post.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
papageno

Post by papageno »

Mike Halloran is correct. Upgrade to the latest DP11.
Firewire interfaces keep working. However, for some reason (I can think of 2: adapters required and trying to push people to purchase new hardware) MOTU has listed many working FW audio devices as unsupported.
I am using and old UltraLite mk3 FW interface with the newest Motu Audio driver 1.6 89555. Works with OS12 and both Intel and Apple Silicon macs.

BTW. Motu has recently restructurised their website's downloads section. Earlier one could just see the motu audio driver listed but now it is different. Now you'd have to search for a legacy hybrid interfave (USB+FW) and then you will see Motu Audio Driver download. I wrote them about this. Why to make users search for an interface that they don't own to get a driver for the interface they do own and that is working perfectly, despite the 'unsupported' status.

I run my UltraLite FW with 2 chained Apple adapters: Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 2 > Firewire. Looks clumsy but the setup works.
+372 56222285
Scatz

Post by Scatz »

Yes, Mike O was right, I now have DP11 installed and except for the occasional Crash, (where DP just quits unexpectedly once in a while) all is good.
I would like to figure out why DP quits the odd time but the Crash logs are just gobbly gook computer speak to me. I'm computer illiterate.
I have an Aggregate set up with an 8PRE USB connected via TosLink to an 8PRE FW then to the 828MKll FW and then all the Apple adaptors- Firewire to USB 2 to USB C and everything is recognized and working.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Usually it is in the very first pary of crash report... the cause.
+372 56222285
Scatz

Post by Scatz »

Ok, thanks for that Papageno, I'll have a look at that if and when it happens again.
I also just read that disabling the Mac going to sleep could be the culprit, so I'll try that as well.
Cheers