Mismatching timing, Logic vs DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Anders Peev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mismatching timing, Logic vs DP

Post by Anders Peev »

Hi friends! C19 prevents me and my singer from meeting up in my studio. And we are recording our parts remotely. Every bounce I send him is no longer matching the startingpoint in my friends LociPro project. And every vocal line he sends me is out of timing by seconds.

• Both projects are in the same bpm
• No MIDI, just audio

His files are .aiff and 44,1 kHz. Mine are .wav and 48kHz. But since DP is automatically resampling the to 48kHz it shouldn't be a problem?
Please tell me that there is a super simple thing these we've missed and I can just figure out how much I need to shift the audio to get it right!

Hope for help!

Anders
mikehalloran

Re: Mismatching timing, Logic vs DP

Post by mikehalloran »

This shouldn’t be a problem The fix is in Preferences. Yours? Your collaborator’s? Both? One has to know the setups on both machines to see the problem.

Many of my collaborators are using LPx at 44.1/16 or worse, GarageBand which only does 44.1. None of them have this issue with my guide tracks nor do I when importing their files. I work at 48k/24.

I can’t post a screen shot from my iPad but will from my Mac later today.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks Mike!

It seems that it is an issue about the starting point. The lenght of the tracks seem to be correct. His .aiff's are not time strached in any way. It just looks like one of us haven't got the right starting point. Which we think we have assured that we both have. It's like one of our DAWs are subtracting or adding time to the starting point.

If it was an issue of wrong sampling frequency I would assue his takes would be out of tune as well?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I tracked with a group that got burned by this really badly in a past project. The recording engineer had gone into preferences and had set some latency offset. It was a mess. Some really bad tracks ended up on a CD that, to this day, I can't listen to. I'll go find the setting. BRB.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Logic Pro/Preferences/Audio.../Devices

Recording Delay Slider

Should be set to zero.

The test should be for them to put a short tick pulse right on some beat-- then you can see how many samples off it is (if that slider is on zero).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:30 am Logic Pro/Preferences/Audio.../Devices

Recording Delay Slider

Should be set to zero.

The test should be for them to put a short tick pulse right on some beat-- then you can see how many samples off it is (if that slider is on zero).
Thanks! I sent this to him already! I'll get back when he has tried this out!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have a client who sends me tracks created in Logic. Some will import at Bar 1, Beat 1 which my default template has set as Hour Zero. Others will come in at Hour One. Easy to fix on my end, but something is clearly a bit wacky there, and could be at the root of the issues you are encountering. If the Recording Delay Slider in Logic doesn't do the track, you might take a look at your respective projects' Timecode settings.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

Anders,

Is the pitch correct ?
Do any of you have external clocking ?

Best,
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

bjornln wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am Anders,

Is the pitch correct ?
Do any of you have external clocking ?

Best,
/B
Hi Björnin!

Pitch is correct. Only the clocking from the audio interface. I'm on an RME Firefce 400 and I don't know what my colleue is using
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

Anders,

Then you probably don't have a clocking missmatch...
Do you receive full tracks (beginning to end) or just a few tracks where he's singing ?
Are you, or your colleague, using any latency inducing plugins (or outboard FX) ?

Best,
Björn

Anders Peev wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 pm
Hi Björnin!

Pitch is correct. Only the clocking from the audio interface. I'm on an RME Firefce 400 and I don't know what my colleue is using
[/quote]
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

bjornln wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:14 pm Anders,

Then you probably don't have a clocking missmatch...
Do you receive full tracks (beginning to end) or just a few tracks where he's singing ?
Are you, or your colleague, using any latency inducing plugins (or outboard FX) ?

Best,
Björn

Anders Peev wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 pm
No plugins, no outboard FX.
Every file we send to eachother starts from bar "0" to make sure all takes line up in our respective DAWs. Only they don't. I have sucessfully imported my mixes into my recording project to check that DP isn't changing anything when I bounce. He claims my mixes are always about 1,5 seconds "to short". Mycket märkligt!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

These are the correct import settings for DP

There are similar preference settings for LPx but I've been too busy to find them. They must be the default settings, however, since none of my church people have this issue and all are newbies since the COVID lockdown began last year.

Your buddy might try trashing the Preferences (move to Desktop, reboot Logic, see if there's a problem, then trach that desktop file).
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm These are the correct import settings for DP

Your buddy might try trashing the Preferences (move to Desktop, reboot Logic, see if there's a problem, then trach that desktop file).
Thanks Mike! So thats where you find the conversions! Mine are set just like that. It must be Logic that is failing here?

Anders
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

I just realized It am on DP 10.11. But that wouldn't matter would it? Or must I upgrade to 10.13?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Anders Peev wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:50 pm I just realized It am on DP 10.11. But that wouldn't matter would it? Or must I upgrade to 10.13?
For this, no, but 10.13 fixes many (but not all) issues

If your preferences are set up per my screen, you aren’t the cause of the problem, the Logic user is.