A newly discovered DP gem for automation. I love it...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A newly discovered DP gem for automation. I love it...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just tried this. That is great. In an instance where only one soundbite it present, I'd go to set bite gain as it gives more range. But this is a good trick to know as well. Thanks, FM. I did have to set the letter o in the commands window to toggle the trim tool. No big deal there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maxxy wrote:I’m where bayswater was before he got it working… it’s just not happening for me… 0.0 is always the first inserted points when dragging with the Trim tool after a time range selection in a track without automation
It seems to be one of those things where you have to get everything just right when mousing and keying. Like moving tracks vertically, triple clicks, etc, where if your timing or order of operations is not exact, it won't work.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You have to be sure that pressing o calls up the trim tool. It doesn't "stick" you have to keep holding it down. And if it doesn't call up the trim tool you have to set up the command (key binding) to do so.

It works.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Cheers to all …appreciated

Everyone here has this working it seems…I’m the odd one out … good grief ( :

I don’t believe there’s any tricky mouse/keyboard move required here really is there?

(1) In SE window Volume lane simply make time range selection . .. Key ‘I’ Insert …drag… does the trick for that…selection accomplished….

(2) Next use Trim tool ( I have it at ‘/‘ but, in desperation, also changed it to ‘o’ … at that point why not? ) It sticks… by either holding or double tapping… of course no prob…

(3) Then drag up or down to write first automation settings as dotted lines….

As you all experience, this writes the current Mixer track Vol setting (eg -4.2dB) to automation. However I always get that the first trim drag sets it to Unity…. not the -4.2 value I had the track volume fader set at … unfortunately ) :

bayswater… I don’t think there’s anything too tricky here right?…. in terms of triple clicks (?) or special hold & drag keystrokes... … FMiguelez’s explanation is very clear to me but….?? well... no cigar for me for now

Thanks to all… will carry on …perhaps it’ll pop at some point ( :

Best and peace
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Thanks, FM. I did have to set the letter o in the commands window to toggle the trim tool. No big deal there.
My pleasure, my friend. Glad you found it useful :)

Maxxy.... It seems you're doing everything correctly. By any chance, is the track you're trying to automate with its automation record on or off? Also, what automation mode is the channel defaulting to? Perhaps that's it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Again FM …many thanks for making suggestions

No I don’t have any Record or Play automation enabled…. I am just going for the dashed lines in the blank Vol lane at Mixer fader level ….Then, as you say, turn on playback automation.

Nice idea to try different Automation modes … I’m usually in Latch mode, that doesn’t work…. tried Trim and that also doesn’t work. Automation is blank… playback is off , record automation is off. Other modes snap at zero similarly
No matter the mode, the initial Trim point is always Unity! ( :

Thanks for your time and efforts… it’s no biggie… I just get… you know… like a goat with a bone… and just want to solve it ( : …and because it’s a really useful trick I’d like to have… I feel that the first Pencil volume insert…. or Trim volume in this case… would ideally… should …reflect the fader level…

It’s something in there… ( :

Thanks all again
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
RROY

Post by RROY »

Tried this automation trick, and it always sets the track volume to zero, not what the track was actually set at. Not working for me either.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
dix

Post by dix »

Very coo!

It works here, but like others, it always inserts using 0db as the start point for me (and 127 as the start point for MIDI volume). It's still a mighty handy tip, but the fader position would be preferable as the starting point. ...tried a few suggested variable, but still get 0db
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com