MTP AV INFO REQUIRED PLEASE???

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nezza
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nezza »

Hi Folks.

I've just joined the forum which look like it could be of some assistance in the future.

At the moment im looking for some information on the MTP AV unit.
I own the serial and the usb versions and would like you link them via the net ports so i have a 16 port MIDI device to hook up all my equipment to my mac/logic.

i have sent a tech message to MOTU but sadly as yet i've not had a reply so im hoping someone on here can help me out.

i have just read on the Motu site that my usb unit will require rom version 2.0.1 for me to achieve this but it currently only has version 2.0.0.
please can you tell me where i can obtain the correct version rom?
i downloaded the latest drivers from the MOTU site but they are the same as i already have.

regarding the serial port version of my mtp, it is currently on rom version 1.1.4
please can you tell me if this unit also needs a rom update to allow this chain to operate correctly?

Finally, please can you advise me what cabling i should be using if you can?
Done some research and found conflicting messages but i presume any standard apple 8 pin din will work, yes?

Many thanks!
SmilesLots
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MTP AV INFO REQUIRED PLEASE???

Post by SmilesLots »

That information and clear instructions are in the manual. Look up networking two mtp-av's. It is in the front few pages in the setup pages.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
nezza

Post by nezza »

Hi Smiles

Not sure what manual you are on about but the questions i ask are certainly not mentioned in the usb version manual i have.
i dont sadly have a manual for the serial unit. but i doubt they will be.

i appreciate your reply but maybe you should read the message in full before replying next time...

Many thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nezza wrote:i appreciate your reply but maybe you should read the message in full before replying next time...
Maybe you should avoid being snarky on this forum if you wish to remain here. As site owner I have a low tolerance for this sort of thing. Take that attitude over to some of the many other forums on the net if you wish.

Back to your problem:

Firstly, if you do need a new ROM there's only one correct and obvious solution and that's to contact MOTU directly and purchase one. It's pretty easy to open up your MTP/AV and remove the old ROM and insert the new one.

I just checked and my MTP/AV ROM is 2.0.1 so maybe it's true that it's needed. Nonetheless it won't hurt you to check to see if you can network them without the ROM upgrade.

I have a USB MTP/AV with the 2.0.1 ROM as I mentioned and I have connected to it an old serial MTP2. Yes, you connect them with a old style Mac serial cable... also called an RS-422 cable I believe. There's only one such connector on the back of the USB MTP. You connect one end to that. Then connect the other to the back of your older serial MTP. I can't remember what the back looks like now and I can't access it right now without a great deal of trouble. But it should be apparent which connector you should use. It might say Network or something like that.

Anyway, connect the to interfaces with the RS-422 cable. Then on the front panel of the first USB unit, to to Global Hardware Setup and find the page that says:

THIS BOX: ID 1 - 8
NET PORT=MAC

Set it so it says NET PORT=MTP

Then go to your slave unit and go to the same page under Global Hardware Settings and set the NET PORT to MTP or MTP2... whichever your slave unit is.

Also, should go without saying that they're both set to the same transmit speed, etc.

You may find the information you need on MOTU's site by the way as from what I understand they made all hardware manuals available as PDF. Also one additional caveat I will suggest now from experience: Any external sound modules you expect reliable sysex communication with (for uploading and downloading patch banks, etc.) will need to be connected to the USB MTP... NOT the second MTP connected via the serial cable. As I said, I have learned from experience that the second serial interface that is connected to the network port on the USB MTP is fine for typical note-on note-off MIDI communication, but sysex is unreliable.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nezza wrote:i appreciate your reply but maybe you should read the message in full before replying next time...
Oh... as I thought... the PDF version of the manuals are available here:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you download this manual you will see "in the front few pages" (Page 9 actually) the following note: "If you have multiple MOTU MIDI intefaces, see Chapter 3, 'Instaling Multiple Interfaces' (page 19) for for further information about how to connect them as a network."

And yes, all the information you needed, that I attempted to spend time on just now is there.

So maybe you should read the advice a little bit better next time and not come here as a newbie to this forum and get snarky with someone who in fact supplied you with the correct information. It makes you look foolish. :shake:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nezza

Post by nezza »

Hi James and many thanks for the detailed answer.

i had already read the set up instructions in the manual prior to my post so i already knew how to set the units up but many thanks for the other info, i appreciate it.

as for being snarky, it certainly was not intended that way at all mate so i dont feel i have anything to apologise for but i will be far more careful with my words in future.
i simply stated a fact, that i appreciated the feedback but my three questions went unanswered.
i would'nt be offended if that was said of myself and i did'nt expect it to cause offence to anyone else.
especially someone who was intending to help me out.

again, many thanks for the help and i hope i can return the favour once i brush up on my knowledge, tho it may take some time!

N
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nezza wrote:...as for being snarky, it certainly was not intended that way at all mate so i dont feel i have anything to apologise for...
Well of course not.

Here's what you wrote:
...but maybe you should read the message in full before replying next time...
I guess you were just giving helpful advice. Either way, then please consider how replies come across when in a typed response. It seems rather curt to me, and I remind people that you get what you pay for around here. It's users helping users on their own time, out of their own generosity. Nobody here is on MOTU's payroll and required to lift a finger to try and help, so I always suggest people keep that in mind, even if the reply they receive leaves something to be desired.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The general rule is that the ROM upgrade is required for Windows users but not for Mac. I am not certain if this is absolute but MOTU support will know.

In addition, there is a user replaceable battery for storing your settings. I replace mine every 5 years or so. If your device doesn't behave, this is the first thing to suspect. Here is some additional info including a test routine:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 5046010606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nezza

Post by nezza »

Hi Mike,

Thats interesting info and im pleased i saw it before returning to the Motu site today.
i did try to order the rom yesterday on the advice of a Motu tech but there was (thankfully) a site error for some reason, think i'll now hold on and source the cabling first!
nezza

Post by nezza »

Ps, just done the battery test you mentioned and guess what, its dead.

thanks for the top advice!
SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots »

nezza wrote:Hi Smiles

Not sure what manual you are on about but the questions i ask are certainly not mentioned in the usb version manual i have.
i dont sadly have a manual for the serial unit. but i doubt they will be.

i appreciate your reply but maybe you should read the message in full before replying next time...

Many thanks!
In my manual on the MIDI-Timepiece, the procedure is described starting in Chapter 3: "Installing Multiple Interfaces" on page 19.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll repeat: MOTU has all their hardware manuals available online in PDF format and you can freely download them at the link I provided earlier. The MTP manual is among them.