Recording vocals for song

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lutherbaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by lutherbaker »

So I've recorded MIDI for my intro, verse, chorus and the hook into a different sequence for each.

Now, I'd like to record some vocals - but I don't want to record the vocals on the existing sequences since the sequences will be reused for every verse, chorus, etc.

How do I record the vocals? I tried to enter Song mode but there is no option to record there.

The only solution I could find was to actually record vocals into each of these sequences and then select the audio and create a new chunk based on the vocal recording - and then delete the original audio from the predominantly MIDI sequence.

But now, I'd like to scrub song - is there a way to do that with the transport in song mode? I can't seem to see a moving marker like there is in Sequence mode.

I'd also like to record a Bass guitar - and then line it up with the vocal track - but they are both different sequences (reuse the bass guitar track). How do I see and scrub the song (both of these chunks) so I can line them up?
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

My opinion:

I would not have sequenced in various sections like you did, rather do it all (intro, verse, chorus, etc.) in one file.

In this format, if you wanted the 2nd verse or chorus to be exactly the same then just copy and paste to the appropriate locations.

If you currently have the various sections as chunks, I'd open a new one and copy and paste to the new chunk to create one linear file and work with that. If each section is a separate DP file, then I would still copy and paste, it's just a little more time consuming. (open file, copy, close file, open song file, paste and repeat)

My 2¢!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

crduval

Re: Recording vocals for song

Post by crduval »

If you know how you want the arrangement to flow, you can arrange your instrumental chunks in the song window, then create a new sequence from the song window to be able to track vocals into one sequence.

If you want flexibility to create different arrangements, you can track the vocals separately for each chunk, then arrange them in the song window to get the arrangements(s) you want. For those chunks that you will use more than once (verses, etc) you can duplicate the instrumental chunks, name them appropriately, and track vocals into each one.

I would still advise creating a new single linear sequence from the song window though to mix; otherwise you have to deal with separate mixing boards per chunk (unless I am missing something!)

Good luck!
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For most of us, this is DP 1a. That's not a put down. Most of us are so used to working - or beginning - a project in linear fashion with audio tracks, we forget that DP has much more capability than that and some use it in ways we never think of.

Even if you have not decided on a final arrangement, create a "scratch track" where you have organized sequences into something a vocalist can sing to. You can do it in the current project or copy them into a new project.

Now, add an audio track and record your vocals onto that. Use CueMix to eliminate latency or set your buffer quite small to reduce it (well covered in the manuals). Once done, you can cut, paste, edit, copy, slice and dice to your hearts content till you have what you want.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

There is a command in the Song Window to create a new sequence from the song. I'd do that, then open the new sequence and record into that. And possibly in the future avoid the Song window unless absolutely necessary.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

James Steele wrote:There is a command in the Song Window to create a new sequence from the song. I'd do that, then open the new sequence and record into that. And possibly in the future avoid the Song window unless absolutely necessary.
Hey! Don't hate on the Song window, man. :mumble:

:lol:

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
dpart

Post by dpart »

Song Window - The single most underwhelming feature of DP. To be clear - the one with the largest potential (and expectations) and unexpected limitations. Vote DP8 gives this the overhaul it needs. All of DPs features would extra shine with this composition tool enhanced.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Understand that the Song Window is a tool, not a destination. You use it to put together the elements of whatever it is you are assembling, then you turn it into a sequence and GET OUT of the Song window. The newly formed sequence then becomes your workspace. The other elements can remain for future reference, or for making a virgin copy of the same sequence if the active one becomes too messed up from experimenting, editing, or whatever.

It's a nice tool, but as others have pointed out, it's really quite limited in what it can do. But what it does, it does ingeniously.

Original Poster: Put together your song (as described above) and record your audio. Simple as that. You can make as many copies of a sequence as you wish, even if they already have audio in them. Deleting audio tracks in one sequence does not erase the audio file shared by other sequences.

You seem a little timid about experimenting. Don't be. Back up your file before you do any major changes, and dive in. Get your feet wet. You can always either Undo back to a previous version via the Undo History window, or simply return to your backup file. You can even make copies of the sequence in the Chunks Window to preserve versions of it to which you can return. This is not a good way to archive the sequences, as it's all still stored in one file, but it is a great way to preserve versions of it that you might want to come back to. You'll still want to make a backup every so often for insurance against file corruption through computer crashes, power outages, or whatever.

DP can use almost unlimited numbers of tracks, so learn the keyboard command for adding tracks and add them liberally, any time you see a need for them. Delete what you don't need, but remember that audio is always preserved in the Soundbites Window until you make the decided effort to remove it for good. (there's a command to remove unused audio)

Working in a DAW should be about as stress-free as the recording process has ever been. Through redundancy, flexibility, Undo History, savable Mixes, and the ability to experiment infinitely, you can try out any idea without fear of losing previous gains. The only factor working against you is time, and DP is efficient enough to make the most of that, too.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Ditto about the song window.
As a former SVP user, I was greatly dismayed by it.
Could be a great tool, but I doubt it is a priority for MOTU.
Pretty clunky and not ready for prime time.
All is well
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

>You seem a little timid about experimenting. Don't be<

Best advice in this thread so far.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lutherbaker

Post by lutherbaker »

Great feedback - thanks everyone.

@shooshie: You can make as many copies of a sequence as you wish

The #1 reason I am even using DP is for the chunking and arranging it provides. In the panacea of current DAWs - DP is unique with this feature. I do NOT want identical copies of sequences laying around. Later on, if I update the MIDI in a sequence - I need/expect it to change EVERYWHERE. My music is heavily keyboard and MIDI based and my songs always have a very regular, recurring song structure. If the solution is to copy and paste sections - that is no better than what I was doing in Logic and would likely send me packing if the recording process was the same.

My main role is that of producer, arranger and songwriter (in that order) ... so I really really need/want the ability to move things around adhoc/willy nilly in that Song window. For me, that is an integral part of the process.

@James: There is a command in the Song Window to create a new sequence from the song.

This ... and fractions thereof look like the way to move forward.

@Mike: Once done, you can cut, paste, edit, copy, slice and dice to your hearts content till you have what you want.

Cool - wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some built in feature of DP to help me track and layer the vocals across chunks. For now, I'll stick to building these layers manually by creating new sequences from groups of other sequences.

Ok, cool. Thanks again for all the posts everybody.