Changing the tempo in real time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lutherbaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Changing the tempo in real time

Post by lutherbaker »

I recorded something in MIDI and I'd like to slow it down and "find" the magic tempo but when I actually select and drag up or down on the tempo box, I don't hear anything until I'm done and hit the ENTER button.

Unfortunately, I don't know what tempo I want so I find myself constantly clicking, changing the tempo, hitting ENTER and then listening to the applied change - which is a lot of steps. Is there a command key I can hold down as a drag the tempo up or down that will affect the real time running of the song in the background so I can keep adjusting it until I'm happy?

Thanks,
-Luther
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Changing the tempo in real time

Post by Dan Worley »

Next to the tempo readout is a little arrow. Click on that and select Set Remote Source from the drop-down. Select your keyboard and dot select the Controller. Now move the controller on your keyboard you want to change the tempo with (Mod wheel is good) and DP will detect it. Click Okay and DP will set itself to Remote Source for the Tempo and that controller will now smoothly change the tempo when you move it.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Hold the enter button while you're dragging...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

I was JUST trying to do this yesterday and couldn't sort it out...will try immediately if not sooner!
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

Hmmmm....now how to record the tempo changes in the conductor track. Any ideas?
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Good question because at one point, the following window appears !

"Tap Tempo" is in the SetUp Menu .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
lutherbaker

Post by lutherbaker »

@Dwetmaster ... I am probably doing something wrong but it doesn't seem to pick up the ENTER key as I drag the TEMPO numbers up or down.

@Dan ... the MIDI control worked - but it is sticky. IE: if I user the mod wheel while recording, the tempo changes! :(

I did notice that I can alternate between a tap button and tempo slider and the slider changes the tempo in realtime so I'm good with that for now.

Thanks!
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Ah ok, I just realized you have to use your scroll wheel instead of dragging the mouse. That should work...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

lutherbaker wrote:@Dan ... the MIDI control worked - but it is sticky. IE: if I user the mod wheel while recording, the tempo changes! :(
Just use another control that you don't need while you're playing, if your keyboard has one.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Dan Worley wrote:...Now move the controller on your keyboard you want to change the tempo with (Mod wheel is good) and DP will detect it. Click Okay and DP will set itself to Remote Source for the Tempo and that controller will now smoothly change the tempo when you move it.
Dan, et al.; I'm wondering if you all have had luck actually using this function? I was trying it out yesterday, but found that DP would not "accept" the value(s) that I was entering, i.e. "MIDI source" and controller value.
When I start out - open the "Set Remote Source" window, it's showing "Interapplication MIDI-1" as the MIDI source and CC#1 as the controller. Then, I put in my kybd. as a "MIDI source", then put in CC#83 as the controller - - DP is seeing all that as it detects properly.
But when I hit "O.K." the Set Remote Source window stays open and doesn't seem to be accepting the confirmation. If I close the window, then re-open, it's again showing "Interapplication MIDI-1" as the MIDI source and CC#1 as the controller.
I'd love to use this function, anyone have advise?
many thanks
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

williemyers wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:...Now move the controller on your keyboard you want to change the tempo with (Mod wheel is good) and DP will detect it. Click Okay and DP will set itself to Remote Source for the Tempo and that controller will now smoothly change the tempo when you move it.
Dan, et al.; I'm wondering if you all have had luck actually using this function? I was trying it out yesterday, but found that DP would not "accept" the value(s) that I was entering, i.e. "MIDI source" and controller value.
When I start out - open the "Set Remote Source" window, it's showing "Interapplication MIDI-1" as the MIDI source and CC#1 as the controller. Then, I put in my kybd. as a "MIDI source", then put in CC#83 as the controller - - DP is seeing all that as it detects properly.
But when I hit "O.K." the Set Remote Source window stays open and doesn't seem to be accepting the confirmation. If I close the window, then re-open, it's again showing "Interapplication MIDI-1" as the MIDI source and CC#1 as the controller.
I'd love to use this function, anyone have advise?
many thanks
Don't type in a cc #. Just have the window open and move a controller (like the Mod wheel) on your keyboard and DP will detect it. That's it! I don't think it will accept any number over 63, and in that case the "Okay" button won't work.

Good luck!
DP10.13
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Dan Worley wrote:...I don't think it will accept any number over 63, and in that case the "Okay" button won't work.

Good luck!
Dan, *HUGE* thanks for that! I was trying to use CC#83 and that's probably why DP wouldn't accept it. One might think that a relatively important detail like that would be mentioned in the manual, mightn't one?! :smash: :smash:
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Glad to know you got it going. Hope it works well for you.
DP10.13
HarmonicMotion

Post by HarmonicMotion »

Someone asked about modifying tempo realtime to the conductor track. I almost always enter tempo data in the conductor track because almost all of my other sequence information is there.

Here is a great article on it:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 186229314/

Hope that helps.