Is DP 32 bit floating point?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cboy1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is DP 32 bit floating point?

Post by cboy1 »

Ok so I read this weekend about floating point sounding betterr for a wider stereo image, and couldn't remember if DP was floating or not.
The point was that you could mix in the box if the software you had was 32 bit floating like Nuendo...... Hmmmmmmm? Being a die hard DP user that got me wondering like I'm sure it does for so many in any platform they use ( is mine better or at least comparative) but that got my wheels turning fast since I mix OTB could it really be that different to mix in the box using floating point?
Any thoughts or comments, someone engage this one who might mix in or out since I haven't mixed in for a couple of years now my ears and perception are trained to here my mixes a certain way.
Armageddon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is DP 32 bit floating point?

Post by Armageddon »

I'm not sure, but 32-bit is grayed-out as an option on my system. It may be because I don't have a 64-bit machine or that my audio interface doesn't support it, although I'd assumed the 32-bit option was contiguous to DP and the MOTU Audio System, not the machine/interface it was running on. If it's just my interface, I suppose I could just unplug it and try running DP through my built-in audio when I go for a mixdown. Though, if the 32-bit float is just happening during the mixing stage, then, again, it shouldn't matter what I'm running on (DP isn't outputting 32-bit files in any case, as far as I know, so there has to be a down-conversion back to 24-bits for the final output).
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Yes, DP is 32-bit float. Always has been, as far as I know.

Arm, I don't know why it's grayed out on your machine. Never heard of that. It will be interesting to find out why. But that setting is not keeping DP from running 32-bit float. That's just for writing files. I've never used it.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

If the file format is set to Sound Designer II, you can only choose 16- or 24-bit integer; 32-bit floating point is not available for SDII. If you want to use 32-bit floating point for the audio file sample format, choose AIFF or WAVE as the file format.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Be sure to make the distinction between file format and internal engine. DP's internal engine is 32 bit floating point, but the file format for projects is selected under Prefernces (or in the control panel). You can select 32 bit floating point as a file format if you like, but as carrythebanner points out you must select bwav or aiff as well.

I've been using 32bit bwav as a project format for a while now and unless something better comes along, I will be for some time to come. Some here will argue that it's overkill, but I've been getting great results and the only disadvantage, as far as I can see, is slightly bigger file size. It's a format that the mastering engineer that I send most of my clients to accepts, and it's the standard that I've adopted (for now anyway).

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Short answer: Yes

In-depth answer: Yes

next question...
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Phil O wrote:Be sure to make the distinction between file format and internal engine. DP's internal engine is 32 bit floating point, but the file format for projects is selected under Prefernces (or in the control panel). You can select 32 bit floating point as a file format if you like, but as carrythebanner points out you must select bwav or aiff as well.

I've been using 32bit bwav as a project format for a while now and unless something better comes along, I will be for some time to come. Some here will argue that it's overkill, but I've been getting great results and the only disadvantage, as far as I can see, is slightly bigger file size. It's a format that the mastering engineer that I send most of my clients to accepts, and it's the standard that I've adopted (for now anyway).

Phil
Phil, you hear a difference?

Thanks,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Keep in mind that DP stock plugins ARE 32 bit float, but many third party plugins are NOT.
Among them: iZotope, Waves... Sigh!

I wish they would all go the 32 bit float road.
This would free us from avoiding clipping anymore, except on the very last DAW stage before DA converters.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

daniel.sneed wrote:Keep in mind that DP stock plugins ARE 32 bit float, but many third party plugins are NOT.

I wish they would all go the 32 bit float road.
This would free us from avoiding clipping anymore, except on the very last DAW stage before DA converters.
I don't know about the other iZotope plug-ins but Ozone 4 does 64-bit calculations internally, according to their literature. Doesn't that mean something good? Come to think of it, I've never heard Ozone introduce clipping distortion. I've heard it not sound good (mostly because of me), but never with clipping distortion.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

daniel.sneed wrote:Keep in mind that DP stock plugins ARE 32 bit float, but many third party plugins are NOT.
REALLY?!?!?! :shock:

I could've sworn Waves' plugs processed the data at at least 32 bit floating point...
I remember reading in their manuals that NATIVE plugs processed everything at 32 bFP (but II could obviously be confused... Please clarify).

So how are they processed then?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I couldn't DREAM of recording my audio tracks at 32 bFP... not a chance in hell with my G5.

BUT, if one records everything at 24 bits, and bounces or prints the final mix at 32 bFP just before mastering it, that should suffice, me thinks. That would be "pure" enough for the ME, yes?

Certainly kids with their MP3s, iPods and earbuds won't complain about it :mrgreen:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Hey FM and Dan, I didn't say they don't sound good. The whole thing is about fixed versus floating point.

No clipping occurs at plugin stage with floating point plugs, such as DP stock plugins.

AFAICR, waves plugs are 64 bit fixed point.
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Dan Worley wrote:I don't know about the other iZotope plug-ins but Ozone 4 does 64-bit calculations internally, according to their literature
I just wanted to add this quote from MOTU's website:
64-Bit mastering tools for crystal-clear sound

The master fader is just the beginning. Digital Performer ships with mastering tools including MasterWorks™ Limiter, Multi-Band Compressor, Leveler and Parametric EQ. Bring out the ultimate detail from full-bandwidth program material. With 64-bit, floating-point precision, these tools preserve and enhance the natural sound and fidelity of your 24-bit audio with no added noise.
I wonder if MW EQ is included with those...
DP 10.13, OS 13.6.7, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

If you don't take it, please, make a simple and fast test.

On an audio track, insert two DP trim plugs.
- first set to +40dB
- second set to -40dB
- listen to the track while looking at the fist trim plug. It will certainly clip hard red, but the track will sound totally clean.

Fixed point plugins do not behave like that.

I usually track hot, so clipping may often be a concern to me.
I wish all developers go the floating point road.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

daniel.sneed wrote:Hey FM and Dan, I didn't say they don't sound good. The whole thing is about fixed versus floating point.

No clipping occurs at plugin stage with floating point plugs, such as DP stock plugins.

AFAICR, waves plugs are 64 bit fixed point.
But I never said you said they didn't sound good! :)

It's just that now I'm confused. I always thought Waves' NATIVE plugs processed stuff at 32 bFP. And I thought their TDM versions processed stuff at something else I don't care about (because I own native). Probably 64 fixed point?

I'll see if I can find about this info at Waves' site.