Got rid of the mixer? What takes it's place?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
celestial
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Got rid of the mixer? What takes it's place?

Post by celestial »

Like a lot of people who still have mixers (I imagine), here we only use our old 02Rs for mike preamp/AD, talkback/foldback, and digital summing during mixing (i.e. all the channels stay at 0dB and mix is actually done in Digital Performer).

Our 02Rs are over 10 years old and have been worked in to the floor, literally on their last legs. Time to say good bye - but what takes their place? We'd like to save space as well.

We usually only record mono or stereo live instruments, but probably need the facility to get 4 mikes in at once, though very rarely. Standalone mike preamps are of course a possibility, but what about talkback/foldback (with no latency)? And is summing during mixing absolutely necessary?

I'd love to hear any advice from those who have already done away with the mixer, and what you do instead. THANKS!
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
Gabe S.

Re: Got rid of the mixer? What takes it's place?

Post by Gabe S. »

Check out this 10 page thread from a couple weeks ago. I'm certain you'll be able to glean some useful info from it:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=39168

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
jlaudon

Re: Got rid of the mixer? What takes it's place?

Post by jlaudon »

I think there are a number of options - I use a Dangerous D-box which can do summing, monitor management, as well as talkback/headphones. Since I use the 828mk3, I can record vocalists with no latency in direct monitoring mode.

As mentioned above, the thread above about using DP mixerless is very informative.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23