A very simple MIDI confusion, please someone...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Hesseman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A very simple MIDI confusion, please someone...

Post by Hesseman »

i swear, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure
this out and i have no clue what to do... In Digital
Performer, it allows you to record multiple MIDI channels
on one MIDI track going to a virtual instrument. Like
Mach 5 for instance. You can have one timber
(instrument) on MIDI channel 1 and another on 2.. so
on and so forth upto 16. I've seen it on a buddies computer, and
each little middle "blip" is a different color representing
the coresponding middle channel it's assigned, I
assume. Ok, well in Garritan Personal Orhcestra (my virtual instrument) , you can load upto 8
instruments (timbers) in the Kontact player, and you can assign
which MIDI channel each instrument is recieving data
from. So in DP, on my Garritan MIDI track I created,
I'll choose to send MIDI data on 1 to whatevers on 1
(violin), then switch the output to 2 to whatever
Garritan has on 2 (say horns). When I record though,
it overites the MIDI I had assigned on output 1
previously.... How are you able to write different
MIDI takes on one mid track?? Do you have to create
different MIDI device groups?? I have no idea..
If you know what
I'm doing wronge, I would be most obliged, thanks
MAC OSX 10.5.8
2.8 ghz Quad Core Duo
6 Gigs Ram
Rosetta 800
DP 6.0.3
and a partridge in a pair tree
Shooshie

Re: A very simple MIDI confusion, please someone...

Post by Shooshie »

Overdub button. It looks like an arrow with a little fork under it, and is directly under the Record button on the Control Panel. It merges the new data with existing data when recording MIDI.

For Audio, it layers the new audio on top of the old, but on playback, only the top layer plays. So you have to merge them by bouncing them to disk from separate tracks. But that's irrelevant for now, because you only need MIDI, right?

Shooshie

<small>[ August 20, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Shooshie ]</small>
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
blue

Post by blue »

I think he's trying to record multiple MIDI tracks to a multitimbral VI, not realizing that these MIDI tracks are actually not contained on a single track but consist of multiple MIDI tracks.

Hesseman, in order to play more than one channel from GPO or other multitimbral device, you must create a new MIDI channel for each patch you want to trigger.

To trigger more than one patch from a single MIDI track, you have to create a device group. But I get the feeling that's not the effect you are going for.

As for seeing the different colors representing different instruments in the same window, that's a function of the graphic editing environment and not the way signals are routed.

Does this help?
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by blue:
Hesseman, in order to play more than one channel from GPO or other multitimbral device, you must create a new MIDI channel for each patch you want to trigger.
Hi blue,

I think you meant to say "you must create a new MIDI Track, for each patch you want to trigger." Right? Assign each new MIDI Track's Output to a different GPO MIDI Channel, e.g.:

Track 1 -> GPO-1
Track 2-> GPO-2
etc
blue

Post by blue »

Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks qo.
Hesseman

Post by Hesseman »

Oh OK. I swore though when I was reading the manuel, it made it sound different. Basically, I create a Virtual Instrument track and load in Garriton on the plugin tab, then I create a MIDI track to store my MIDI hits. On that some MIDI track, I can have different outputs (1-16) going to my Garritan Kontact player. In Garritan you can have upto 8 instruments loaded at one time each one recieving a different MIDI channel, say 1-8. Then I press record and play my violin which is recording via MIDI channel one. Then I go back to my MIDI track in Digital Performer, change the output to "Garritan 1-2" for MIDI channel two, which on the kontact player is holding my Horns. Then I go back to the beggining, re-record and over lap my Horn take via MIDI channel 2 and MIDI channel 1 (my violin) shouldn't be overwritten. That way I can have all 8 MIDI channels sitting on ONE MIDI track, each one communicating with my different instruments loaded in the Kontact Player. I guess you can't do this then??? As far as the device group goes. I swear, I tried figuring that out and couldn't. I mean, isn't that thing only for Virtual Instruments that Digital Perfomer dosn't recognize when it boots up??
MAC OSX 10.5.8
2.8 ghz Quad Core Duo
6 Gigs Ram
Rosetta 800
DP 6.0.3
blue

Post by blue »

In order to write, say, 8 different MIDI parts for 8 different instruments (using GPO, for instance), you will need 8 discrete MIDI tracks.

Device groups are for layering patches, so that all the patches respond to the same notes . You can have as many instruments as you'd like playing the same part by using device groups. This is great for creating complex synth sounds, or for layering several articulations to create a more flexible orchestral patch.

But for separate musical parts you will need separate MIDI tracks, each routed to its own instrument.
Hesseman

Post by Hesseman »

Blue, thank you. That answers my question and will keep me from continueing to try and hack something out that can't be done, would be nice though, ya?
MAC OSX 10.5.8
2.8 ghz Quad Core Duo
6 Gigs Ram
Rosetta 800
DP 6.0.3