how to see channel assignments for Addictive Drums

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ze3b
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

how to see channel assignments for Addictive Drums

Post by ze3b »

does anyone know how to setup a device group for Addictive Drums, please? I want to see actual instrument names in the drum editor for my Addictive drums. We (Dp) do not use MIDI maps per se do we? I think the way to do that is device groups but I am not sure.

Also having problems with dragging MIDI loops from Addictive drums into MIDI tracks. it drags okay but only shows an edge rather than a complete outline. Anyone else seen this? Might be an AD bug. Other MIDI tracks show a complete outline when dragging to a MIDI track.

Pretty new to drum programming so, forgive my ignorance here. I've got so much of DP down, drums are the last bit until i find something new to discover.

thanks to a great community,

Ze3b
ze3b

Post by ze3b »

okay device groups is obviously totally wrong. These seem to be for hardware controllers only.

What do I have to do in order to see Addictive drums channels? Do I have to set them manually?

Thanks in advance.

Zeb
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

This may seem like a whacky, crazy, idea... but have you tried asking this on XLN Audio's forum perhaps????

http://www.xlnaudio.com/forum/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ze3b

Post by ze3b »

Thanks James,

yes sir. I did ask on the xlnaudio forum several weeks ago but I guess there isn't a lot of DP users there. I thought I might find a few here. You, for example use AD don't you? Would you mind sharing how you work with it? Do you have to set channels manually? Am I not asking politely enough?

Thanks in Advance,

Zeb
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I guess I don't understand the question. I put AD on a track, assigned a MIDI track to AD and it works. I guess I'm not trying to do MIDI note names with it, so I'm not sure how to help there. Maybe somebody else can answer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ze3b

Post by ze3b »

Thanks, yes I do the same and it does work great. Now I open the MIDI tracks up in the drum editor and instead of seeing Snare, hh, kick etc. I see note names. I can do this manually its not that big of a deal, but I think there is a more intelligent workflow that is escaping me.

Drum programming is harder than i thought. Getting MIDI grooves to work well for example. Like copy in the verse, then a chorus, then a bridge back to the verse is maddening. they don't flow well like How do you put it on the right beat even tho your resolution is 16th notes. the outline of the MIDI you are dragging doesn't show up. Have you seen that? wierd.

Much to learn in this area and I know there are some experts here. I need to learn also how to extract the groove from a rhythm guitar and apply it to the drums, the relationship between tempo, time and groove.
etc.
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

RE note names - you need to save it as a 'device group'. That way when you open the DE in a new project you can reselect that device group and the note names will reappear.

Personally I think the drum editor could do with an overhaul!
ze3b

Post by ze3b »

okay I'll try that. When I opened device groups all I saw was my MIDI devices. So you mean after I split the note names and manually name each one I can save them all as a device group? hmm. I'll try that.

Thank you.
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

Add a device group - call it 'my addictive drums' - choose it in drum editor - rename tracks - save it - it is now there for recall as destination from any MIDI track in any project.

I forget the exact method - it's been ages since I set up a new device group but that's the general idea.