Multiple MIDI controllers with soft synths in DP??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple MIDI controllers with soft synths in DP??

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm curious, has anybody tried to control say, Battery 2 with something like Trigger finger, while someone else plays the mach 5 with a master keyboard controller?
Is it possible to route MIDI to two or more soft synths in DP?

My copy of DP sits at 2.7.2, and I'm thinking of using 4.6 as an AU host, and I'm wondering if you can send different MIDI channels to different tracks in DP with virtual instruments on them.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
iMAS

Re: Multiple MIDI controllers with soft synths in DP??

Post by iMAS »

Originally posted by MichaelCanavan:
I'm thinking of using 4.6 as an AU host, and I'm wondering if you can send different MIDI channels to different tracks in DP with virtual instruments on them.
Of course you can...and more. :)
Michael Canavan

Thanks for the reply! :)

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up the powerbook as MIDI master, and MIDI clock master, sending this all via Tiger's Network MIDI to Digital Performer on the dual Gig tower.
With this type of thing it's important to be able to play more than one virtual instrument track at a time, and though $149 isn't too much to get a whole new DAW to play with, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not disappointed.

The other question is a bit harder, will DP record soft synths as audio from a MIDI source outside DP? In other words, can you play a soft synth live, and record the audio to a track without first printing the performance as MIDI?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
iMAS

Post by iMAS »

Are you planning to use the powerbook to play VI's to free up processing on your powermac or just for MIDI sequencing ? If it's just for MIDI seq, you might as well just do it on the powermac. It sounds like you just want to send MIDI data from one computer to another. Your post is a little ambiguous.

<small>[ July 25, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: iMAS ]</small>
Michael Canavan

Originally posted by iMAS:
Are you planning to use the powerbook to play VI's to free up processing on your powermac or just for MIDI sequencing ? If it's just for MIDI seq, you might as well just do it on the powermac. It sounds like you just want to send MIDI data from one computer to another. Your post is a little ambiguous.
Sorry, it's just a little outlandish to some what I'm doing.... :)

Right now I'm using the powerbook as a host for Abelton's Live, on the tower I'm running Logic, ( soon to be replaced with DP it looks to be ), I use Network MIDI in Tiger to synch and use the resources of both processors for writing in Live, or in rare cases when I want an extra AU in Logic. Live doesn't run that much better on the tower than it does on the powerbook, and though logic runs fine on the tower, it does not allow you to print audio tacks of virtual instruments from external MIDI sources, like MIDI coming from Live.
I can use LIve on both computers, and Live allows you to print audio tracks from virtual instruments, but Live has a big fat zero destructive audio editing capabilities, and I'm pretty sure you just aren't supposed to use both copies of Live at the same time according to the license.