Dumping PCIe Support with Mac 10.15 Catalina

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dumping PCIe Support with Mac 10.15 Catalina

Post by mikehalloran »

crosswick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm Hi - seen as I was hoping to run Logic 10.6 (which requires Catalina) with my PCIe-424 (plus 24IO and 2408mk3), I thought I'd do some experimenting.

Turns out that if I copy these .plist files over to a new Catalina install (from Mojave in my case) and reboot, I got my settings (for instance, all my channels) back:

- from <username>/Library/Preferences: everything that starts with com.motu, including the folder
- from <system disk>/Library/Preferences/Audio: com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Then reboot and voila. This made me quite happy!

Might be a bit of a chore in case I want to change settings again... I wonder whether making a custom .plist file editor would be doable.

My system btw is a Mac Pro 5,1
Good to know. Thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zmix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zmix »

crosswick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm Hi - seen as I was hoping to run Logic 10.6 (which requires Catalina) with my PCIe-424 (plus 24IO and 2408mk3), I thought I'd do some experimenting.

Turns out that if I copy these .plist files over to a new Catalina install (from Mojave in my case) and reboot, I got my settings (for instance, all my channels) back:

- from <username>/Library/Preferences: everything that starts with com.motu, including the folder
- from <system disk>/Library/Preferences/Audio: com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Then reboot and voila. This made me quite happy!

Might be a bit of a chore in case I want to change settings again... I wonder whether making a custom .plist file editor would be doable.

My system btw is a Mac Pro 5,1
Thanks for this post.

I am running a (Mid 2012) MacPro 5,1 under OSX 10.14.6 with Logic 10.5.1 and a MOTU PCIe-424 with a HD192, two 24 I/O and a 2408Mk3

My machine's video card died earlier this year and the replacement allowed me to update the OS to "Mojave", it was less painful than I anticipated but I experience weird graphics problems in the finder sometimes and non"Open GL" programs like UA's "Console" software.

Now Apple are forcing an OS update to run Logic 10.6. With OSX 10.15 "Catalina" being the oldest supported OS.

I have read that I can install Catalina on my MacPro 5,1 because I have the 144.0.0.0.0 boot ROM, but if I am reading correctly the MOTU PCIe Audio Setup App does not work in Catalina, but booting in Mojave, making changes to the interface settings and then manually swapping the preference files into the Catalina system is the workaround. It's not the worst solution, but a little tedious. I only have a few different configurations, I suppose I could save them all separately in labeled folders and just copy them in as needed.

I am concerned about keeping my setup running for as long as possible and I am worried about what I will need to do when it's all abandoned by the developers. I spent 3 months testing the MOTU AVB based system but the latency was not consistent nor deterministic and every time I rebooted the latency was different. This is a fundamental problem for be as I mix using hardware outboard processing as inserts and if the actual latency changes every time I recall a project I am screwed.

It would be great if someone with some Adundino programming skills could make a format translator between some supported format like Thunderbolt and the MOTU "Audiowire" interfaces. I've got 9 interfaces here and really do not want to have to scrap them due to arbitrary software updates.
BigD

Post by BigD »

Hi guys,

This really works in my system MacPro 5.1 OS 10.15.7 with MOTU 24 io. Now I trying how it works with new Big Sur OS
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

I don't know if its common knowledge as some time has now passed but a hack to get a PCIE card to work (Properly) on the newer OS X is now possible.
Wanted to post this here as it could potentially save ££££$$$$!! See link

https://bassdress.com/blog/2020/11/21/m ... a-big-sur/
feyrat

Post by feyrat »

the only solution i found over the time is here at the forum thank you all,

by the describtion of MatthewF i tried to used it but i cant install because of the SIP (writeable mode) i turned the SIP of via Recoverymode terminal but doesnt work for me anyone who can help me

or anyone find a solution in Catalina to turn on the Channels i use 2 units of the 24 i/o catalina find the pcie 424 with the 2 units but only 8 channel per unit

with the Motu PCI Audio Setup it is possible to turn it on is there a possibilty to do that in catalina i dont want to kill my whole system. or anyone can send me plist file?
bejsmenStudio

Post by bejsmenStudio »

Hi!

First of, thank you a million time,
I have successfully brought to life my MacPro 5.1 with Catalina and 24IO & 2408 mk3.

I have a problem though:
-i followed this topic and copied all files from previous machine to current one ( I have an older 4.1 with El Capitan and same setup also.)

-multiple time
but I can only see 16 channel, 8 of each card (2408 and 24IO)
in daw, though CueMix app sees and can all channels.

Did anyone had similar problem? Any help is very appreciated, since I can only use 16 out of 40 available channels.

Please help.
sertem

Post by sertem »

crosswick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm
I found at these files.

But I didn't find anything these path: "<username>/Library/Preferences: everything that starts with com.motu including the folder

how can i find starts with com.motu files?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sertem wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am
crosswick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm
I found at these files.

But I didn't find anything these path: "<username>/Library/Preferences: everything that starts with com.motu including the folder

how can i find starts with com.motu files?
See my posts at the end of this thread. The PCIe interfaces use the same drivers as the Hybrids. If the Monterey driver doesn't work, the Mojave driver found on the German site should. Make sure that you follow MOTU's instructions for Security ASAP after installing the correct driver.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69619
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

So— apparently there is a way to install a Mac OS on a 5.1 MacPro beyond 10.14.6?

Can somebody please provide detailed info/links on how to achieve this ?

I long ago retired my Audiowire/PCI-424 card/HD192 and now use a UA Apollo TB with a PCI TB card— that alone was a miracle I never thought possible.

Now, with the latest DP version 11.03 it’s running a bit glitchy on my old OS. Would love to step up to a newer OS despite it being officially unsupported by Apple on my 5.1. Much prefer this to spending a minimum $6k to move into the new MacPro!

My other option is a new Hackintish clone running newer Intel I-based processors but those start at $3k and aren’t “really” an Apple product . I may yet go this direction but for now— if I can extend the life of my ancient 5.1 with a current OS I’d do that in a heartbeat!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

greg328 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:09 am So— apparently there is a way to install a Mac OS on a 5.1 MacPro beyond 10.14.6?

The DosDude1 hack is well known. Since you're running Mojave already, you should be in good shape for it. You want to read his caveats and known issues first, of course.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/
greg328

Post by greg328 »

mike--much appreciated as always! The Mac Guru!

greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
greg328 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:09 am So— apparently there is a way to install a Mac OS on a 5.1 MacPro beyond 10.14.6?

The DosDude1 hack is well known. Since you're running Mojave already, you should be in good shape for it. You want to read his caveats and known issues first, of course.

I just watched his YouTube video on how to install it. Cool stuff. I think Mojave is the end of the road for me as I still have PCIe-based MOTU audio interfaces and from what I’ve read the support apps like PCI Setup are 32-bit and won’t run on Catalina. I know some users boot into a Mojave partition, run the apps and make their changes and then copy pref files over to the Catalina volume, but don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. I sure wish MOTU could update those older apps, but don’t see that happening.

On a unrelated note, it still frosts me that TurboTax doesn’t support Mojave. Since last year I’ve had to do my taxes on a Windows laptop. Not fun.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am
mikehalloran wrote:

I just watched his YouTube video on how to install it. Cool stuff. I think Mojave is the end of the road for me as I still have PCIe-based MOTU audio interfaces and from what I’ve read the support apps like PCI Setup are 32-bit and won’t run on Catalina. I know some users boot into a Mojave partition, run the apps and make their changes and then copy pref files over to the Catalina volume, but don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. I sure wish MOTU could update those older apps, but don’t see that happening.

On a unrelated note, it still frosts me that TurboTax doesn’t support Mojave. Since last year I’ve had to do my taxes on a Windows laptop. Not fun.
For decades, MacInTax/TurboTax was my sign that it was time for a hardware upgrade. When I couldn’t run my 1991 (or was it 1990?) taxes on my Mac Plus, I howled at the moon. Then I got over it and bought a Performa 6200, then a G3, G5, 2010 iMac… My iMP was the first Mac i bought not driven by TurboTax incompatibility.

Back to Catalina, using APFS Snapshots, you have 24 hours to try the DodDude1 patch, run the Big Sur Audio Installer that I know works over Catalina, decide if it works for you and, if not, restore your system to an earlier state without the hours it takes for a full TimeMachine restore. I did this recently on my 2012 MBP with a Big Sur patch and do it often on my iMP when beta testing in case something screws up—and it often does.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64689

Scary the first time you try but now it’s routine for me.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Mike. Yeah, my big concern is whether there’s really anything Catalina can offer me that I can’t do without. The big thing seems to be that it’s the end of the line for any 32-bit plugs I’ve been keeping alive with 32 Lives and that the support apps for configuring MOTU PCI interfaces as well as naming channel inputs and outputs won’t work anymore.

I’m probably best off sitting pat where I am, until I can afford to replace interfaces and pop for the next M1 Mac Mini which is predicted to be a speed demon compared to my current Mac. Hey… there are few problems that can’t be solved by throwing enough money at them!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Dumping PCIe Support with Mac 10.15 Catalina

Post by greg328 »

We’ll, my attempt at performing the Catalina install on my 5.1 MacPro is a disaster.

After going through all the steps in the video and downloading the Catalina installer, I got to the point where you actually install the system and it showed to be a bad OS. So I couldn’t install it. But to get to that point, I had to change my startup disk in system preferences. ( Holding down “option “ while restarting would not present startup disk options).

Now I cannot get back to my original startup disk, and when starting up from the Catalina install usb disk, I’m not able to mount my original start up disk via disc utility.

So it seems I’m screwed at this point. I’m trying to start up in recovery mode but it’s not working. I’m trying to start up without any buttons all down and it’s not working. So I’m unable to restart from the original system drive at this point.

The original startup disc is not damaged, it’s fully intact but I’m unable to mount it when booted from the Catalina boot drive. :-(

When I do a hard restart from the front panel power button, I do get a chime, but in the screen remains black. I’m currently on my fourth or fifth minute of waiting. I’ll continue to see if it will prompt me for a start up disk. Seems like in the past, when this has happened, the machine will eventually prsesent a screen where I can choose a startup disk. I’m praying that will happen here shortly!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk