G5 Dual 1.8 GHz FANS ARE LOUD NOW, WHY?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
npinero
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

G5 Dual 1.8 GHz FANS ARE LOUD NOW, WHY?

Post by npinero »

My G5 Mac Dual 1.8 has really been runnning its fans very loudly. I had heard this is a problem, anyone know why?

I am at work and don't have all of myb details but I know I have:

OS 10.3.9
2.5 GB of ram

I had heard that the memory has something to do with the problem but I have not yet pulled any memeory chips yet . Can anyone help?
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. - Lennon
dickhauser

Freaked out Fans

Post by dickhauser »

Sorry I don't have an answer for your problem. I had supper fan noise on mine when I (incorrectly) installed additional memory. Didn't get it seated. When I figured that out, no problems (mine is a 2.0 DP though).

There is lots of chatter (should I say noise?) on the mac user support group forum:

http://macosg.com/group/

They like an app used to take measurements of the G5 at various sesnor points (temp, cpu)

http://macosg.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=1014

but a quick glance on my part seemed to iindicate that the noise was associated with video cards and/or other third party stuff.

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Sonoma 14.4.1 , 16GB, DP 11.31
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

I had LOUD fans on my iMac G5 1.8GHz, and it ended up, after two trips to the repair shop, and two logic board replacements, that it was a problem with the lower fan and when they replaced the ONE fan, everything ran correctly and is nice and quite. The errors with the one allowed overheating and wrong running that resulted in all the fans running high.

The Apple Hardware Test found a hard drive fan error, even though it turned out to be a different fan.

My advice is to run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer. If it finds something, then it is time for a repair appointment.

Good luck.

-Aaron
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Npinero.
Go to system pref > energy saver > option > set the processor performances to maximum (not automatic) and see if it helps.
Grigri
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -