M6 monitoring IN SYNC both click from DP and live kbd RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jimchik
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

M6 monitoring IN SYNC both click from DP and live kbd RESOLVED

Post by jimchik »

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

So... The goal is to record what I play from the kbd using it's internal sounds. There are no issues using it as a controller for VI's and PI's. Latency (or lack of ) is awesome. But, when I go to use an internal sound from the kbd, I either hear it about a second after I play it (with the monitor knob hard right) or in time (monitor knob hard left) but then I don't hear any computer audio, such as the click..

I keep hoping that I'm simply missing something easy and/or stupid, but it's time to reach out for help. The layout:
  • External Kbd audio out to M6 5/6 audio in
    KBD Local control off
    DP stereo audio Input channel from 5/6 of M6
    Direct Hardware playthrough is not an option in the Input Monitoring Mode widow
    When I restart MAS, it all works.
Restarting MAS was on a hunch, but obviously a good one. Any way, thanks in advance for any tips for the next time, or if this is a bug, or...

Best
A couple of Macs, a couple of iPads, an M6, DP, Vienna Ensemble Pro, tons of other stuff… but unfortunately all in the box… other than the M6, no outboard to speak of.
mikehalloran

Re: M6 monitoring IN SYNC both click from DP and live kbd

Post by mikehalloran »

We need to know what keyboard you are using.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jimchik

Post by jimchik »

Hmmmm… ok. It’s a Yamaha S90ES. I guess that leads to another question, though…What could be the difference or why would it matter?

Thanks, much.
A couple of Macs, a couple of iPads, an M6, DP, Vienna Ensemble Pro, tons of other stuff… but unfortunately all in the box… other than the M6, no outboard to speak of.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jimchik wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:43 am Hmmmm… ok. It’s a Yamaha S90ES. I guess that leads to another question, though…What could be the difference or why would it matter?

Thanks, much.
With Yamaha, shouldn't matter.

You want to press a key, have the signal go through your M6 through your computer, make a round trip through your DAW then back to your keyboard so that you can monitor the note — all without latency, right? It doesn't work that way because how you want it is impossible.

The trick is to achieve what you want and that's absolutely doable but you have to do it the way things actually work.

I don't have time to condense a few manuals into one page right now (I have a remote session in an hour) but the latency you are describing raises some questions:

How are you connecting your Yamaha? 5-pin DIN? USB MIDI to your Mac? Analog Audio out to your M6? Anlog out to your Mac via another interface? Any combination of the four?

What is your Mac?

What is your macOS?

What is your DAW and version?

What is your buffer setting when you record?

Do you track (record live) with any effects in your signal chain—if so, what are they? Do you have any of them going to Aux or are they direct?

How big is a normal project—Live/MIDI/Instrument/Aux tracks — average numbers are fine.

Is anything else running through your M6 (microphones etc.) when you track?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jimchik

Post by jimchik »

I’m not sure how to answer all of this… Not because I’m new to this (been doing this for over 30 years), but, well… OK… first off, the usual 3-5 milliseconds of latency are totally fine. Otherwise does any of the info I’ve already provided give a clue as to what’s going on, especially the part about having reset MAS..? To repeat, it worked fine after that and I was able to get work done.

Thanks again.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jimchik wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:43 pm I’m not sure how to answer all of this… Not because I’m new to this (been doing this for over 30 years), but, well… OK… first off, the usual 3-5 milliseconds of latency are totally fine. Otherwise does any of the info I’ve already provided give a clue as to what’s going on, especially the part about having reset MAS..? To repeat, it worked fine after that and I was able to get work done.

Thanks again.
All of my questions were designed to help you understand the signal flow of the M6 and get to what you wanted in your original post at the lowest latency possible. The best way to answer them is not to second-guess and just answer.

I don't have the same Yamaha keyboard you do but for this discussion, it doesn't matter as Yamaha does things a certain way that I know well.
jimchik

Post by jimchik »

Signal flow, latency, audio, MIDI… I mean… I was kinda put off by the assumption that I needed a quick refresher in how things work. I don’t. 8)

Now… why would the keyboard matter, when all I’m doing is sending MIDI out of it (local control off), to DP. DP spits the MIDI back to the kbd. The kbd generates audio. The audio goes through the M6, back to DP. I mean yeah, the fact that it works at all is a credit to the kajillion people that coded this stuff.

The other big question is why did a MAS reset solve the issue?

Anyway, it’s all kinda moot, at this point. Except having to reset MAS every time I want to use one of the internal sounds from the Yammy. For this reason, I’ll usually just reach for a PI/VI and be done with it.
jimchik

Post by jimchik »

At the end of it all, it was, I guess as no real surprise, that I needed to update the driver. I had thought that notices about updates would appear automatically as they do in DP, but, well...

So all of the nonsense about routing, timing, signal flow, MIDI/Audio 101, etc... oy

Back to work.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

So is the issue solved? I’m going to mark this topic resolved unless I hear otherwise. Thanks!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jimchik

Re: M6 monitoring IN SYNC both click from DP and live kbd RESOLVED

Post by jimchik »

Yes, James. Resolved.

Thanks
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: M6 monitoring IN SYNC both click from DP and live kbd RESOLVED

Post by James Steele »

jimchik wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:01 am Yes, James. Resolved.

Thanks
Excellent! Glad you got it worked out, and thank you for coming back here and letting us know! :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!