MOTU 828es in live setting dropping out for a few seconds here and there

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rwandering
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 828es in live setting dropping out for a few seconds here and there

Post by rwandering »

I have an 828es. I posted recently regarding the Surface Pro touch fixes, and am now running a beta firmware. But I have no idea whether this firmware is the issue and don't have time to diagnose between now and when I need the mixer. I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this.

My band is playing tomorrow and my plan was to use my 828es as the centerpiece of a live mixer. With a wireless router attached, and with additional mic pres coming from an external unit through ADAT. There is no computer connection that is relevant here (and nothing connected to the USB ports).

Everything was working great, but 4 or 5 times over about a 2-hour period, everything dropped out. Then came back. Each time was for 2-5 seconds. The 828es is in a rack with an open space below it and some gap above it. It was a little warm, but not hot at all.

I will reach out to support in hopes for a fix and some help, but given it is super intermittent, it isn't like I can easily reproduce it.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts that might help? (I need a different mixer for tomorrow, but I don't want to abandon this solution).
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 828es in live setting dropping out for a few seconds here and there

Post by HCMarkus »

Yikes!

I've not had a similar experience, but my 828ES is used in a more typical studio setup.

Hope the show goes ok!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
rwandering
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 828es in live setting dropping out for a few seconds here and there

Post by rwandering »

A quick update; but no real news. I have been in conversation with MOTU support and they haven't heard anything like what I experienced. I did attempt to reproduce the issue, by running the same setup (mostly) for > 8 hours with a video camera trained on it to see what I could learn if a dropout occurred. But, I haven't reproduced it yet. I am guessing some power quality issue may have been to blame, but that is just a guess. I don't know if, say, a voltage sag would result in this type of behavior.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.