Samples Don't Play Accurately On Fast Parts -DP and Musio Strings

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
elyguestpianist
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by elyguestpianist »

Hello :D ! I've been having trouble playing back the string samples from my Musio Library. It either holds the notes for an ungodly amount of time (it literally never stops until I pause it) or it changes the rhythms like in today's example. I already followed the advice in other threads: to fix the clock in the MIDI keyboard, change a tiny part of the duration of the note so they don't overlap. Quantizing has helped me solve this issue in the past. I'm not sure why the string samples don't work well from Musio to DP. All my Logic friends have never had this issue before :( ... can someone help me please? Thanks so much!

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Samples Don't Play Accurately On Fast Parts -DP and Musio Strings

Post by mikehalloran »

Are these samples recorded dry or with effects?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I have the same exact issue-Musio and DP don’t play well together. Response is laggy in real-time when playing/recording, and playback can be randomly inaccurate.

My fix is to use MIDI time delay inserts on the MIDI track mixer insert to move all the data early a number of ticks-experiment to see the exact amount needed. (I’m doing between 75-125 ticks depending on buffer size).

However this doesn’t address the playback timing inaccuracies. So, yesterday in fact, I just switched to my more dependable Opus East West Hollywood string libraries and everything was much better.

I did notice there’s a new Musio plug-in update, I believe it’s 1.27, they are updating fairly often, so hopefully they’re aware of this and are working towards a solution.

Last black Friday I bought the lifetime membership for access to the entire library. I’d like to be able to use Musio more but so far it’s proving to be a bit challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I see the OP is on a Mac. They may be better off posting in the Mac troubleshooting section. Another possible solution if you are on DP11 might lie in the Articulation Map Output settings by adjusting the Note Length or Delay settings.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:I see the OP is on a Mac. They may be better off posting in the Mac troubleshooting section.
Good point! I didn’t notice that. I have moved it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wasn't able to tell from the example, but do the "missing" notes happen if there is a repeated note (of the same pitch)?

If so, that may be related to a DP bug that we've discussed pretty extensively.

As a test, you can put an insert effect on the MIDI track to change duration and subtract about 6 ticks from all durations. See if that improves anything. If this not related to that bug, I'll show myself out. :)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I can verify that in my usage, the Musio issues are not from repeated notes, or the associated DP bug. My Musio woes are evident when playing back a series of different notes--and the rhythm is not correct. For example, last week I had a violin line of simple eighths and sixteenth notes--the playback rhythm was that of triplets, even after close repeated examination of the actual note time stamps. They were on the straight beat divisions, not the triplet time stamps. Nonetheless less, Musio could not play that rhythm correctly.

I switched to Opus Hollywood Strings, violin patch (Musio patch was also a violin patch) and the playback was perfect. Exact same MIDI track, assigned to the new VI.

Musio is not ready for prime time. Disappointing, as I love the voluminous library provided. Slow to play via MIDI (latency), and occasional incorrect rhythms on playback.

I've yet to update to the latest version, will do so in the next day or so--I'll report back if behavior improves.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.