Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by mikehalloran »

tremo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 am Antares is not working over Sonoma for anyone as far as I know. The issue is that their plugs cannot verify the licenses. The license manager opens but no-go. Apple Silicon is not the issue.
Are you guys saying that Antares plugins aren't working in DP/Sonoma or Sonoma in general? The only Antares product I still use is Harmony Engine (latest, 4.4.1), and it's working fine for me in Studio One 6.6 and Logic 10.8.1, on Sonoma 14.4.1. (Sorry, I don't have DP 10 installed on this Mac to test.) Shows as authorized in Antares Central. I originally had the iLok version, but switched to Antares' new auth system... maybe last year? Does the fact that I authorized it on Ventura explain why it works on Sonoma for me?
Antares Central no longer works and has been superseded by Autotune Central.

I had no problem in Ventura. My screen shot shows that my licenses are authorized. Antares Support has been unhelpful. If I could get them back on iLok, that would be great — except that iLok server is having problems today.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tremo

Post by tremo »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:19 am Antares Central no longer works and has been superseded by Autotune Central.

I had no problem in Ventura. My screen shot shows that my licenses are authorized. Antares Support has been unhelpful. If I could get them back on iLok, that would be great — except that iLok server is having problems today.
Sorry, that was a typo on my part -- I authorized Harmony Engine on Ventura using Auto-Tune Central, and the plugin is working for me on Sonoma 14.4.1.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

FYI

Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 3 + DP 11.31 + Kontakt 7.9.0 has been running perfect.

Zero problems, everything fast and lean on my M2 Ultra.

And no more Rosetta.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

hammerman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm FYI

And no more Rosetta.
Same here. I just got notification that Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 4 is available today. What the heck. In for a penny... in for a pound. I'm downloading it as a type this. I'm hoping that things are just going to get better.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm
hammerman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm FYI

And no more Rosetta.
Same here. I just got notification that Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 4 is available today. What the heck. In for a penny... in for a pound. I'm downloading it as a type this. I'm hoping that things are just going to get better.
I'm too scared to download Beta 4. Like others, Sonoma 14.5 Beta 3 is working well for me. . .

Looking forward to reading your findings on Beta 4, though. If it remains positive, I *might* dive in and download the update as well.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a few days between deadlines so I downloaded public beta 4…

So far, so good. The flickering of the GUI on side monitors is gone.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:16 pm I have a few days between deadlines so I downloaded public beta 4…

So far, so good. The flickering of the GUI on side monitors is gone.
Ahhh... I assume you mean the flickering of Kontakt 7 instances? I've had that before. I will have to check it out. So far so good here with Public Beta 4, however. I am having issues with occasional loss of connection between my Mac and my UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO. I have to power cycle it and then it's fine from then on. I've been too lazy to investigate. I may have it connected to my TB Dock instead of directly to my Mac, If that's the case I should swap things around.

Also periodically I lose the connection to my MIDI Express XT which is connected to a power USB hub. More tinkering is in order I suppose. Ugh...

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FYI, neither here nor there, but I have Pro Tools installed on my Mac. I just dabble with it. I have latest 2024.3 and forever there has been a bug that has plagued me where it might take five or six attempts to open a project that contained an instance of Console 1. I'd have to force quit Pro Tools and try to load the project again and again. No Console 1? No problem.

So recently Softube released version 2.5.83. I installed it and lo and behold... all the Pro Tools projects loaded exactly as they should. I did it over and over again, and they never got stuck during load once. Amazing... almost like how a DAW should behave! This was with Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 3.

Enter Sonoma Public Beta 4 as of a few hours ago. The brief shining period were Pro Tools projects containing Console 1 consistently loaded has now ended. It was two days in perhaps the past year or so for me. Now it's back to getting stuck during project load and force quitting Remove any instances of Console 1 and it works fine. I reported this to Softube and posted on an Avid forum, but not a lot of others reporting this.

Console 1 is so integral to me that this is one way I'm definitely not going to mess with Pro Tools too much. Simply can't use Console 1 in it.

hammerman

Post by hammerman »

Sonoma Public Beta 4 is working just fine over here.
I waited for the brave ones first...
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

hammerman wrote:Sonoma Public Beta 4 is working just fine over here.
I waited for the brave ones first...
Like all of these things I guess it depends on exactly what software you depend on. Fortunately I don’t use Pro Tools primarily, because Beta 4 hosed Pro Tools and Console 1 for me in terms of being able to open projects reliably that contain instances of Console 1.

npj

Post by npj »

Kontakt 7.10.2 was just released.

With 7.9.0... My main machine is running fine (M1 Pro)... Haven't updated yet...

However... My secondary machine (M2), since updating NA2 a couple of days ago (K 7.9.0) hasn't been able to run Kontakt at all - instant crashing (some KPs/reboots) - for both AU plugin via DP and Kontakt standalone. The issue seems to be tied to NA2, more than Kontakt itself... The crashing continues with 7.10.2.

I've read through this thread and more at NI Support... Found some NI support docs for similar issues that suggest trashing a bunch of preferences/NA support files... Re-installed the NTK Daemon... Out of ideas... :(

Seems like it must be this MacOS issue that has been fixed in the beta...

Hesitant to update to the beta to fix it...

If anyone has any ideas for things I could do to fix it, I'd appreciate it!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

[/quote]

Do you mean hesitant to update to Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 4? I understand your hesitation as it's no easy thing to roll back to an early OS. FWIW, I'm running Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 4 on my system and it's been very stable, but then again I'm on M1 and the YMMV principle always applies. I suspect the actual release version of 14.5 will be out within days, so you may want to just sit tight until then I guess.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

npj wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:07 pm Kontakt 7.10.2 was just released.

With 7.9.0... My main machine is running fine (M1 Pro)... Haven't updated yet...

However... My secondary machine (M2), since updating NA2 a couple of days ago (K 7.9.0) hasn't been able to run Kontakt at all - instant crashing (some KPs/reboots) - for both AU plugin via DP and Kontakt standalone. The issue seems to be tied to NA2, more than Kontakt itself... The crashing continues with 7.10.2.

I've read through this thread and more at NI Support... Found some NI support docs for similar issues that suggest trashing a bunch of preferences/NA support files... Re-installed the NTK Daemon... Out of ideas... :(

Until macOS 14.5 is released, you have the following choices:
a) wait.
b) update to the 14.5 beta 4 release
c) ...there is no (c)

I and many others have found the 14.5 beta 4 release to be quite stable and it fixes all of the problems that I had with Kontakt 7.8.1/7.9.0 in Logic, Digital Performer and opening in side monitors on my Studio M2 Ultra. I and a few others here have been in close contact with Native Instruments, MOTU and Apple on this issue.

There may be an additional beta before the general release. There usually is a "golden master" release identical to the general—just in case they miss something. I have no desire to test fate and will wait for the general.
npj

Post by npj »

James Steele wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:30 pm Do you mean hesitant to update to Sonoma 14.5 Public Beta 4?
Yeah that's what I meant... I've never run a MacOS beta before... I was going to just wait until the final release... However...

I found a post on the NI support forum (below) and following those instructions for how to revert back to 7.9... This has improved things... Kontakt standalone runs normally... Kontakt 7 AU will run but crash when opening the plugin. At least I can open DP files now.

--

https://community.native-instruments.co ... ent_151171
"Managed to get 7.9 working again after the 7.10 upgrade by reinstalling 7.9, then uninstalling 7.9 via deleting all the files as specified in native access i structions on ‘how to delete a product’ including all the prefs files in home folders, then reinstalling 7.9. Thankfully all working"
npj

Post by npj »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:06 pm c) ...there is no (c)
:lol:
mikehalloran wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:06 pm I and many others have found the 14.5 beta 4 release to be quite stable and it fixes all of the problems that I had with Kontakt 7.8.1/7.9.0 in Logic, Digital Performer and opening in side monitors on my Studio M2 Ultra. I and a few others here have been in close contact with Native Instruments, MOTU and Apple on this issue.
Thanks for the info, Mike.

This machine only has a single monitor so I don't think that is the bug biting me...
mikehalloran wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:06 pm There may be an additional beta before the general release. There usually is a "golden master" release identical to the general—just in case they miss something. I have no desire to test fate and will wait for the general.
Sounds like it could be anywhere between 1-4 weeks away... Makes it a little tempting to jump on the beta... but I've never run a beta before... Also don't want to test fate!