Does MOTU has an "out of warranty" repair policy?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
alex2035
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Does MOTU has an "out of warranty" repair policy?

Post by alex2035 »

Hello, I am looking to find out about MOTU´s policy regarding my case. I bought a new MOTU Ultralite AVB interface in 2018 from a local dealer in Argentina. It worked perfectly well until last couple months, when it died completely, after some days of refusing to boot at first attempts, it finally gave up.

Contacted MOTU´s local dealer that said they hadn´t an authorized repair centre, as it seems it is not MOTU´s policy to provide tech services, at least here in this country.

So I would like to ask, is there any member that had a faulty unit sent to MOTU headquarters in Cambridge, MA? , and had it repaired when it was out of the 2 year period? Does this exists or is it just out of question and a am looking at a very expensive paperweight at this moment?

I´m resorting to the users forum´s experience, as a way to get some info, I filled a Support Ticket already some time ago and I am not getting anyone back, which doesnt look good to me.

I would welcome any ideas or facts on a similar situation, it would help a lot.
alex

PS sorry for any dubious wordings, not my primary language.
EMRR

Re: Does MOTU has an "out of warranty" repair policy?

Post by EMRR »

It's possible they will sell a replacement power supply module, they have been doing so with 16A's recently. There does not seem to be any repair service since Covid. They would previously offer a replacement unit at a nominal charge, and I suspect then repair the returned unit to use as someone else's replacement.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanks EMRR,
I doubt it is the power supply, the tech at our studio facility (all MOTU equipped, 4 studios) feared it was more of a board failure, but he didnt have (nobody has) the schematics. I would happily ship the thing through the continent and have it replaced for whatever a logical sum could be, I already paid a small fortune here for it.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you can buy a new power supply from MOTU, it could be worth a try.

As EMRR notes, MOTU has power supplies for the 16A (which also work in my 828ES) for $30 + shipping IIRC. I called MOTU and bought one to keep on hand in case mine fails. Power supply failure is the most likely cause of interface death.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanks HCMarkus,
just to be myself in the clear, EMRR mentioned a Power Supply Module , and you, a Power Supply, are you both refering to the tiny power transformer that goes into wall outlet, that provides 15V ? or the proper Power Module inside the unit, this resides in the board at surface mounting PCB level components, hardly any compatibility with other MOTU units.
The little chinese thing I have a couple, MOTU originals, they measure ok, they provide 15V over 1.0 Amp.

I myself measured the voltage coming inside the unit, as the tech did, thats why we think it needs to be looked on an "authorized lab mode" situation, most possibly attacking the PCB circuit itself. Thank you both for answering, motunation is cool.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

alex2035 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 am Thanks HCMarkus,
just to be myself in the clear, EMRR mentioned a Power Supply Module , and you, a Power Supply, are you both refering to the tiny power transformer that goes into wall outlet, that provides 15V ? or the proper Power Module inside the unit, this resides in the board at surface mounting PCB level components, hardly any compatibility with other MOTU units.
The little chinese thing I have a couple, MOTU originals, they measure ok, they provide 15V over 1.0 Amp.

I myself measured the voltage coming inside the unit, as the tech did, thats why we think it needs to be looked on an "authorized lab mode" situation, most possibly attacking the PCB circuit itself. Thank you both for answering, motunation is cool.
The 16A, 828ES and many other MOTU interfaces are powered directly by AC, with internal power supplies. Your situation is different, which I would have realized had I noted the Ultralight AVB is wall-wart-powered.

As such, my advice is rather useless. Hope you are able to get to the bottom of the problem and successfully repair your interface. I don't know if MOTU is gonna' be much help, as their old replacement policy has gone the way of the (extinct) Dodo.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thank you HCMarkus.
"I don't know if MOTU is gonna' be much help, as their old replacement policy has gone the way of the (extinct) Dodo."

You nailed it, I was left in the cold, with just a sentence reply.
I didnt expected a replacement, just that it be repaired, I was already prepared to send it to USA via courier service, I am greatly dissapointed by MOTU´s businesswise policy , just telling a customer to "help yourself, but we are not providing any schematics". So, I bought a U$S 1000 interfase (cost of the "authorized" dealer here) which was going to be good for 2 years, and if something got wrong after that, you are f.....d up, sorry, its how we make business....

What the hell MOTU, absolute garbage attitude.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

alex2035 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 am

MOTU has never supplied schematics and the shop where they sent units to be "refurbished" apparently no longer exists.

That said, most of what is inside is off the shelf components. Look carefully for burnt resistors, bulging capacitors, burnt areas in the motherboard and cold/cracked solder joints. I would burnish all sockets by removing and reinserting the ribbon cables 3 times each as well as any socketed ICs. I'm always surprised at how often this works.

Good luck!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wavesound

Post by wavesound »

alex2035 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:47 pm Thank you HCMarkus.
"I don't know if MOTU is gonna' be much help, as their old replacement policy has gone the way of the (extinct) Dodo."

You nailed it, I was left in the cold, with just a sentence reply.
I didnt expected a replacement, just that it be repaired, I was already prepared to send it to USA via courier service, I am greatly dissapointed by MOTU´s businesswise policy , just telling a customer to "help yourself, but we are not providing any schematics". So, I bought a U$S 1000 interfase (cost of the "authorized" dealer here) which was going to be good for 2 years, and if something got wrong after that, you are f.....d up, sorry, its how we make business....

What the hell MOTU, absolute garbage attitude.
I just had the display and LED backlights on my 828es go out and I just learned about this new "repair policy" for MOTU gear.

I guess that we get to figure it or e-waste it...

Its very disappointing that we no longer have any official repair options, this was the reason I kept choosing MOTU over other products...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wavesound wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:49 am
I just had the display and LED backlights on my 828es go out and I just learned about this new "repair policy" for MOTU gear.

I guess that we get to figure it or e-waste it...

Its very disappointing that we no longer have any official repair options, this was the reason I kept choosing MOTU over other products...
There are many threads here and Gearspace about this going back many years. The usual culprit is either the backlight, its power supply or a cable. If you can shine a light onto the display and read it, it's good. Anyway, all the components (including the displays) are off-the-shelf and usually available at Mouser or similar supply houses for very little $.

Any of the 828 series can have this happen. Google is your friend but don't limit your search to the 828es. The 828, 828mkII and 828mk3 are the units mentioned in most threads.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wavesound

Post by wavesound »

The unit still passes audio, but all of the lights stopped working on the unit and the display is blank with no information even with a light shined on it.

I drop it off at the local electronics repair shop and I suspect they might bring it back to life, but between this an unrelenting USB issues that Support could never diagnose...I'll never by another MOTU product ever again...