Schitt DACs

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Schitt DACs

Post by bayswater »

I've been thinking about getting a separate DAC. If you look at the reviews from Julian Krause, you can see a table where he rates a number of interfaces. Of a long list of 2 channel units, the M2 comes out as one of the few with no significantly low ratings, but the one that comes out on top is the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC. It looks like this is a real thing despite the obvious April Fool's hint.

Here's the manual https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PD ... %201_1.pdf

While it's not rated much better than the M2, it's a lot cheaper, a little over $100. Anyone have one of these or know anything about it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wdegillio

Re: Schitt DACs

Post by wdegillio »

Hi bayswater. I haven't heard that model, but I own one of their Asgard headphone amps, and it is a superb product. Overall, their products have gotten excellent reviews in the Hi-Fi press and online, and are known for "punching above their weight" in their respective price ranges. There are several other DAC's in that price range (like the Audioquest Dragonfly series), but I would bet the Fulla is a on a par with them, if not better. Hope that helps.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I guess their focus on the hifi market is why there aren’t many references in places like this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:59 am Thanks. I guess their focus on the hifi market is why there aren’t many references in places like this.
Very true. They haven't produced any products (as of yet) that are aimed at the pro audio community. Since their design and engineering skills seem to be top notch, I would love to see them try.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One thing about the Hi-Fi Market: Confirmation Bias and Snake Oil often rule the day.

Not saying Schitt is, well... you know. Just saying... :koolaid:

OTOH, at that price point, not a huge risk.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am One thing about the Hi-Fi Market: Confirmation Bias and Snake Oil often rule the day.

Not saying Schitt is, well... you know. Just saying... :koolaid:

OTOH, at that price point, not a huge risk.
The real money is Home Theater. In that game, you always need more than one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am One thing about the Hi-Fi Market: Confirmation Bias and Snake Oil often rule the day.
Land of the $200 IEC power cables and speaker cable risers.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kolandscapes

Post by kolandscapes »

Don't know if you're still looking for a DAC but the next time you're upgrading look at Benchmark Media DACs ... Your monitors won't know what hit them and you won't need anything else thereafter. Not cheap but worth it
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

kolandscapes wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:54 pm Don't know if you're still looking for a DAC but the next time you're upgrading look at Benchmark Media DACs ... Your monitors won't know what hit them and you won't need anything else thereafter. Not cheap but worth it
They better know what hit 'em... otherwise, they ain't very good transducers.

The quoted comment, a lovely first post here, wouldn't be spam, now would it?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

For years my primary interface was an Apogee Rosetta 800. It was their flagship model for some time. It's a firewire device using Apple's firewire driver, which has been removed from current Mac OS. So, my older trash can Mac is still used for tracking with the Apogee and a Lynx Aurora, but I was looking for a DAC for my Mac Mini. I considered the Schitt but finally decided to go for a MOTU M6 unit for several reasons. First, I know MOTU's reputation while Schitt is an unknown. Second, the size of the Mac Mini and M6 make it ideal for portable recording, so having inputs on the M6 was a plus. Third, I went for the M6 instead of the M2 or M4 because of the external power supply (as opposed to bus power) which I consider a plus.

I A/B'd the MOTU and Apogee units and quite frankly can't hear the difference. It's a very nice unit. I can highly recommend the M series.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.