M6 - same output signal on output 1/2 and 3/4 possible?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
antduj
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

M6 - same output signal on output 1/2 and 3/4 possible?

Post by antduj »

Hi everyone,

I'm a new M6 owner (coming from a different manufacturer) and use the M6 on MacOS Ventura (latest version).

I love the sound of the box, but I can't get my head around it how to configure the output signal to mirror the monitor output (output 1/2) to the second output pair (3/4) as I want to connect my active subwoofer (which I can turn on and off with a footswitch).

Of course I found the option to A/B switch the monitor outputs, but I haven't found an option to mirror the signal.

It is possible to route it in Logic of course, but I would love to have the option to use it while listening to music or watching YouTube.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best
Ante
mikehalloran

Re: M6 - same output signal on output 1/2 and 3/4 possible?

Post by mikehalloran »

There is no mixer built into the M6. With analog, if you can't do it via the switches, it can't be done … but there is a way to do what you want.

The only options I see involve the Headphone Outs. The 2nd Headphone out, unless you've engaged the 3/4 switch, mirrors the Monitor and Line 1/2 with its own volume control. This assumes that 2nd 'phone jack never needs to listen to 3/4, of course. Likewise, you aren't using the AB Switching.

If you actually need that 2nd 'phone jack to function as advertised, you have two choices: a) a separate monitor controller or b) a headphone amp like this Mackie plugged into Headphone 1, feeding up to three 'phones and your sub. This Mackie is ridiculously good for $40.
https://mackie.com/en/products/audio-to ... /HM_4.html

Not knowing what sub you have, you may need to use a custom cable. If I use a standard TRS to L/R stereo cable with my jBL LSR310, the output is so low as to be almost unusable. I had to use a Y summing adapter from my monitor controller to a Mono cable, plugging it into one side of my sub and the volume came back. I then used a mono Y adapter on the speaker end to feed both coils and gained an extra dB. Once I got everything working properly, I made a custom cable that did everything I wanted. Had my monitor controlled a mono out for the sub, it would have been easier—but what would I have learned?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
antduj

Post by antduj »

Hi Mike,

thanks for your help. That's unfortunate with the outputs ...

My fault, I didn't research it enough and assumed that the outputs could be routed, but the lack of any mixer software was the giveaway :(

I will try the route with a monitor controller (I initially wanted to any other device in the signal line, but obviously no luck).

Thanks again!

Best
Ante
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A good monitor box will have buttons to dim and sum to mono without touching your mix. It also gives you more flexibility in selecting between speaker pairs than the M6. Mine also controls my out to the sub—the JBL I use has no footswitch and with my handicap, crawling on the floor to make adjustments is a no-go.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro