What's the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?

Post by bayswater »

What’s the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:29 am What’s the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?
Oh yeah... you mean the original topic??? :lol: I think the main thing right now is there's still a bug with Ventura that affects export to QuickTime movies.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I can't recall exactly why I left CCC long ago, and went with SuperDuper.

SuperDuper has made a few bootable HD copies, that still boot just fine (now in Monterey OS).

Just noticed that usbHDs are fine, while FWHDs do not boot at all.
SuperDuper support claims it's an Apple limitation.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:17 pm
bayswater wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:29 am What’s the word on Ventura and DP and common plug ins?
Oh yeah... you mean the original topic??? :lol: I think the main thing right now is there's still a bug with Ventura that affects export to QuickTime movies.
Last time I checked, Arturia was a still saying "Don't do it."

Just checked again:
As with all significant operating system releases, we strongly recommend you do not upgrade to macOS Ventura just yet.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for the info. I don’t have any compelling reason to upgrade. Glad I bought my Mac Studio before Ventura was pre installed.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:17 pm
For those of us who don't do movies, there might be some interest in other aspects of DP performance, and plugins. Although plugin makers say they might be compatible with an OS version, some do not do explicit testing with DP, so user experience can be more important than announcements.

I've got a Ventura volume going with just Logic. I haven't installed DP on it because there is not support for Roland controllers, so I can't do much. If and when Roland gets off the pot, I'll start looking at plugins etc. Earlier OS updates look like they brought nothing to the party -- no improvements of any interest, but Ventura (still referred to as Desperado by some) seems to me to have some performance improvements.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tremo

Post by tremo »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:33 pm ... but Ventura (still referred to as Desperado by some) seems to me to have some performance improvements.
Yeah, I've installed Ventura on my MacBook Air, and compared to Monterey, it does feel -- dare I say it? -- snappier. :)

But other than starting up Studio One 6 (it runs), this includes no DAW experimentation. I'm holding off on the Mac Studio, until a lot more positive reports re: plugins are in.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

tremo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:38 amit does feel -- dare I say it? -- snappier. :)
IIRC, those words might have once gotten you a timeout on this forum. :rofl:
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Must he face?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
tremo

Post by tremo »

Phil O wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:05 am Must he face?
I realize now that I must face. Reprimand accepted. :oops:
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

tremo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:18 am
I realize now that I must face. Reprimand accepted. :oops:
:smash:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm still laughing, Phil. :rofl:
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just saw this February update:

https://motu.com/de/news/motu-and-macos-ventura/

I don't know what changed in the last couple of months other than some drivers. I think most of my third party stuff is okay, but the Core Audio and video exports still seem to be a problem? Am I missing something? I'm not itching to upgrade yet, but trying to proceed with full caution. Anybody want to weigh in on this? Any advantages in Ventura at this point? Is it really "snappier"? I'm not seeing DP compatibility in the download window (don't know why I'm getting a hybrid English/German page):
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 4.38.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 4.38.20 PM.png (56.54 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Last time I checked, Arturia was a still saying "Don't do it."

Just checked again:
As with all significant operating system releases, we strongly recommend you do not upgrade to macOS Ventura just yet.
This is still the case, as well as Izotope.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:35 pm...but the Core Audio and video exports still seem to be a problem? Am I missing something? I'm not itching to upgrade yet, but trying to proceed with full caution. Anybody want to weigh in on this? Any advantages in Ventura at this point? Is it really "snappier"?
Short answer: If you're using DP, don't do it.

Core audio don't just *seem* to be a problem, the *are* a problem as in broken. Although, I appreciate your diplomatic choice of words—I tend to do that myself. If you only plan to bounce to audio, this isn't a major problem, but if you want to bounce to a QuickTime move so that you can combine picture with audio, it just isn't going to happen. That's the primary reason I'm staying behind on this one. Not that I do a LOT of that type of thing, but a friend of mine who is a film professional gave me some footage that I could "play with" and I want to be able to bounce it down and critique what I've done so far.

I don't know anything about snappier. If Apple made improvements to Rosetta, or at least if it improved DP's support for running AUs in Rosetta, I'd be interested. DP tends to have problems with Intel 64 AUs that Logic does not. :( And it's not limited to Intel AUs, either. For example, opening UADx native plug-ins will cause DP to crash. We have learned that it may not be ALL UADx plug-ins, and for some like myself, there is a workaround. You must open a project that does not use UADx plugs first, THEN without quitting DP, open the project with the UADx plug-ins.

MOTU does indeed know about these issues. Awaiting a fix.