Native Access 2 is available for download

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Native Access 2 is available for download

Post by nk_e »

James Steele wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:37 am

One thing I *did* notice is that in Native Access 2, I don't see any of the older instruments/plugs with the orange "Repair" option next to them like I do in Native Access 1. Those just don't appear at all in Native Access 2.
FWIW, I seem to recall a bit of a dust up a few years back when NI said they were going to drop Native Access support for a lot of their older libraries. I can’t recall which, but it was quite a list. In fairness to NI they were really old libraries, but still I remember not being very enthused about the change.

They relented when there was a big blow back.

I wonder if that may be what’s going on here.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about changing the name of NA original. I likely would have blithely overwritten it.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

BobK

Post by BobK »

James - thanks so much for this thread!

I found it last month (or maybe when you posted it in July) and saved NA 1 when I downloaded NA 2.

Yesterday I had problems with installing an update of Cinematic Studio Strings with NA 2: the instruction was to use the "Reinstall" command, but I kept getting "Installation Failed", and others at VI Control reported the same.

After several tries and an email exchange with the CSS developer, I submitted a support ticket to NI and then tried NA 1. It worked!

Heard back from NI. The problem presumably has to do with permissions in Security and Privacy preferences, but their reply didn't have enough info.

Not a good look for NI.

Thanks again!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:03 am James - thanks so much for this thread!

I found it last month (or maybe when you posted it in July) and saved NA 1 when I downloaded NA 2.

Yesterday I had problems with installing an update of Cinematic Studio Strings with NA 2: the instruction was to use the "Reinstall" command, but I kept getting "Installation Failed", and others at VI Control reported the same.

After several tries and an email exchange with the CSS developer, I submitted a support ticket to NI and then tried NA 1. It worked!

Heard back from NI. The problem presumably has to do with permissions in Security and Privacy preferences, but their reply didn't have enough info.

Not a good look for NI.

Thanks again!
I'm glad the info on how to use both version worked. I only have have NA 2 on my Mac Studio, but it makes me wonder if I want to copy over NA 1 from my other Mac and set it up so I have both. I know NA2 is at version 2.4.0 last time I checked. It still annoys me how slow NA 2 appears to be in starting up. I have to give my Admin password every time it launches and then wait a pretty long time just to find out there are no updates.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:14 pm It still annoys me how slow NA 2 appears to be in starting up. I have to give my Admin password every time it launches and then wait a pretty long time just to find out there are no updates.
Same here. NA 1 is much faster, though I don't think it asks for my admin password. I do have to re-enter my NI password when switching between versions, though.

I'll keep NA 2, but will use NA 1 until it doesn't work any more (or until they fix NA 2).
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:
James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:14 pm It still annoys me how slow NA 2 appears to be in starting up. I have to give my Admin password every time it launches and then wait a pretty long time just to find out there are no updates.
Same here. NA 1 is much faster, though I don't think it asks for my admin password. I do have to re-enter my NI password when switching between versions, though.

I'll keep NA 2, but will use NA 1 until it doesn't work any more (or until they fix NA 2).
On my Mac Studio, every single time it asks me for my Admin password and then says “installing dependencies.” Every. Single. Time. Maybe something is wrong. If I cared enough I’d write NI Support.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:00 pm On my Mac Studio, every single time it asks me for my Admin password and then says “installing dependencies.” Every. Single. Time. Maybe something is wrong. If I cared enough I’d write NI Support.
If you haven't seen this at the NI forum, it might be worth a try:

https://community.native-instruments.co ... mac#latest
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:
James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:00 pm On my Mac Studio, every single time it asks me for my Admin password and then says “installing dependencies.” Every. Single. Time. Maybe something is wrong. If I cared enough I’d write NI Support.
If you haven't seen this at the NI forum, it might be worth a try:

Thanks. I’ll try to run that script. Although I don’t get blocked from installing dependencies… I just have to do it every time and enter my admin password. I’ll try the original script. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just deal with it. Last thing I want to do is mess something up and make it worse.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:45 am If you haven't seen this at the NI forum, it might be worth a try:

Well thanks for that, BobK! Happy to report that it did indeed work. I tried dragging the script to the Terminal app, but that didn't seem to work. So I opened the script file in TextEdit and copied the contents and pasted it at the command prompt in the Terminal app and pressed Enter. It did a bunch of stuff and said "password deleted" near the end which scared me a little. LOL

I forgot to restart the computer like it suggested, but it worked anyway. NA2 launched and then I got a dialog asking me for my email and password again. I entered it and it logged in. Once everything loaded I quit NA2 then relaunched it, and I was not asked for my Admin password, so looks like that little annoyance is gone.

Thanks again!

BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 pm Once everything loaded I quit NA2 then relaunched it, and I was not asked for my Admin password, so looks like that little annoyance is gone.
Congrats! Happy to help!

I just re-read the FAQ in your original post, and noticed that in the comments NI said that at some point in the future, NA1 will self-update to NA2. I didn't actually need to install NA2. Sticking with NA1 until then would've saved me a lot of time troubleshooting the Cinematic Studio Strings update. Aack!

But I'm glad I was able to help you!
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:54 pm
James Steele wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 pm Once everything loaded I quit NA2 then relaunched it, and I was not asked for my Admin password, so looks like that little annoyance is gone.
Congrats! Happy to help!

I just re-read the FAQ in your original post, and noticed that in the comments NI said that at some point in the future, NA1 will self-update to NA2. I didn't actually need to install NA2. Sticking with NA1 until then would've saved me a lot of time troubleshooting the Cinematic Studio Strings update. Aack!

But I'm glad I was able to help you!
Yeah... at the time I posted that, I was still using my MacPro5,1 12-core and I shared it just in case people who had M1 Macs wanted to try the AS-native version. I think though that when I did a clean install on this Mac Studio and went to NI's website, they were pushing out NA2 publicly. Either way, it appears to be working, but it's also noticeably slower than NA1!

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Does anyone know if NA2 becomes the sole version starting with Komplete 14? It would make sense to coordinate that rollout.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just a follow up here, but I'm now on Ventura 13.2.1 and the latest Native Access is still requiring me to enter my admin credentials and "insall dependencies" each time I run it. It appears that what's happening, at least on MY system, is that the process NTKDaemon is unstable and crashes and when that process is not running, Native Access makes you enter your credentials each time.

What I did to get around this was to go to:

<hard drive>/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/NTK/

And then find the app "NTKDaemon" and drag it to the dock right next to my Native Access app. Now, what I do is before launching Native Access, I launch NTKDaemon from the dock (it won't bounce, however) and then count to two, and THEN launch Native Access.

Yeah... PITA but I prefer this than having to type my credentials. It also avoids doing that "installing dependencies" thing over and over. Hope this helps someone. Maybe NI will get this to work consistently for everyone someday.

hammerman

Post by hammerman »

James Steele wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:39 pm Just a follow up here, but I'm now on Ventura 13.2.1 and the latest Native Access is still requiring me to enter my admin credentials and "insall dependencies" each time I run it. It appears that what's happening, at least on MY system, is that the process NTKDaemon is unstable and crashes and when that process is not running, Native Access makes you enter your credentials each time.
James, same thing happens to me with Mojave. It's not an OS thing or a computer thing but a bogus NI thing. I've been using Native Access 1 for now.

You'd think NI could get their act together. Hey, how about scalable fonts in Kontakt 7? There's an idea!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

hammerman wrote:It's not an OS thing or a computer thing but a bogus NI thing. I've been using Native Access 1 for now.
Yep. I’m happy for now with this workaround. It saves some time and I don’t have to do any typing.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm late to this discussion, but glad I spotted it.

I have both versions, and am also seeing much longer startup times for V2. I don't see a benefit to using 2 other than it looks prettier. I don't see any additional functionality over V1 unless I'm overlooking something. Am I?
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA