DP extremely laggy with project imported from OMF?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP extremely laggy with project imported from OMF?

Post by baanes »

Hi,

I'm working a on a project that was sent from a Protools colleague, via OMF.

The project had about 24 tracks when it started, and is now more like 40-50 tracks. The project takes 30 minutes or more just to open, and in use DP is extremely laggy - sometimes it will beachball for upwards of 6 seconds when I just select a track. The project file itself is around 5mb. There is no background processing happening according to the background processing window.

There are minimal plugins in use - a few instances of FabFilter, 3 or 4 ProVerbs. No VIs.

The project came with about 4000 soundbites, including each PT fade as a separate soundbite.

Computer is a 2018 MacBook Pro 13" dual-core - not the fastest, but should be able to keep up. I've done more on it before. DP 10.11. OSX 10.14.6. 16GB RAM, SSD. Activity monitor shows DP using 90-100% CPU in these moments where it's lagging.

Tips?
Tidwells@aol.com

Re: DP extremely laggy with project imported from OMF?

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Using the "merge soundbites" command on whole tracks from start to finish may help a lot. 4,000 soundbites is a lot of soundbites. That's my 2 cents...

Doug
baanes

Post by baanes »

Thanks for the suggestion, it was a good one - I think this may specifically be related to GUI issues when there are too many soundbites. I merged some sections and there's a marked improvement, though not as much as I'd like. I notice that when I'm in a section of the timeline where I've merged to reduce the number of soundbites, the overall responsiveness is much better than when I scroll to a section where I haven't.

Bummer, as PT was able to handle this on a last-gen mac mini with no problems.
Tidwells@aol.com

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

This might help you: Go to the Takes column in the track overview window and select "duplicate take" on each track. Then, select the whole length of the project and do a "merge soundbites" command for each track. This should lighten the load on your computer, but when you need to do any more editing or work on a track, you can still go back to the original take with all of the separate soundbites. After you're done working on a track, make a new duplicate track, and merge soundbites again on the new track. I know from experience that you can have more than 500 takes on a track and it doesn't effect CPU performance. Only the currently active take puts a "load" on the CPU. Just to be safe, after you merge the soundbites on a track for the first time, go back to the original take and make sure it did not merge those soundbites.

Doug