Getting rid of the mixing board

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting rid of the mixing board

Post by gavspen »

It's time. It's years since I used anything but a virtual instrument, or anything but plugins for effects, and yet I still have it all hooked up to a Mackie 1604, which I make no use of whatsoever. Just two faders for Main Out L&R from the 828 mkiii, out to a Bryston 3B, and then the speakers.

If I get rid of the Mackie, what goes between the Main Outs of the 828 and the speakers. The manual of the 828 shows them directly connected to the Main Outs, but unless the speakers are powered, that wont work, will it? What's the simplest way to go.

I know this is a very rudimentary question; I am but a humble composer, not a sound engineer. At least I know it. Haha.

Thanks.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
bayswater

Re: Getting rid of the mixing board

Post by bayswater »

You could just bypass the mixer, and connect the 828 Main Outs to the Bryston. But then you would have to use Cuemix or the front knobs on the 828 to control the level. You might want to replace the physical fader from your mixer with a simple level control like the TC Pilot. It would go between the 828 and the Amp. A lot more convenient than Cuemix.

With that sort of arrangement, I found it best to have the output on the interface (the 828) set very high and then use the Pilot to attenuate the levels.

https://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Re ... B001PGMNRG
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

You can control the master volume of the 828 with the system volume control. There's an option in MOTU Audio Setup to use coreaudio volume controls.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote:You could just bypass the mixer, and connect the 828 Main Outs to the Bryston. But then you would have to use Cuemix or the front knobs on the 828 to control the level. You might want to replace the physical fader from your mixer with a simple level control like the TC Pilot. It would go between the 828 and the Amp. A lot more convenient than Cuemix.

With that sort of arrangement, I found it best to have the output on the interface (the 828) set very high and then use the Pilot to attenuate the levels.

https://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Re ... B001PGMNRG
The front knob you refer to is the thing labeled "Master Vol", right? Which seems to control both the phone jack beneath it "(Main)", and the XLRs on the back (or other stuff if you reprogram it), if I'm reading this right, is that so?

And the TC Pilot goes in between the XLR out puts on the 828, and the XLR inputs on the Bryston, right? That sounds handy! :)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote:The front knob you refer to is the thing labeled "Master Vol", right? Which seems to control both the phone jack beneath it "(Main)", and the XLRs on the back (or other stuff if you reprogram it), if I'm reading this right, is that so?

And the TC Pilot goes in between the XLR out puts on the 828, and the XLR inputs on the Bryston, right? That sounds handy! :)
Yes on the XLR connections.
Which knob: I don’t recall. Don’t have the 828 in the rack any more. I had a 1604 and a 828 connected to powered speakers the same way you have your setup. When I removed the 1604, I was twiddling something on the front of the 828 to save my ears on restart. (Remember when the Apple OS startup BONG blew you off your seat?). I saw the TC Pilot in a local store, glued it to my desk to the left of the trackpad, and still use it constantly.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Bryston amp ... sweet.

You are using the 1604 as a monitor controller. Although it works, that board takes a huge piece of real estate for such a simple task.

Do you really need a monitor controller? Maybe not but they’re quite convenient. Most have such convenient features such as Mute, Mono and Dim functions at the push of a button so that you don’t have to do it in software. Many also have playback, multiple monitor selection, subwoofer and surround options. Built in headphone amplifiers can be had as well.

You’ll find many choices, passive and active, here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Studio ... b=low2high

The once ubiquitous original Mackie Big Knob is no longer available but you can find it on eBay. It’s now morphed into a family of controllers From $70 – $350. Presonus controllers get a lot of love here.

I use a Radial MC3 to control 2 sets of monitors plus a subwoofer. The SAT-2 or $70 passive Big Knob may be all you need if controlling one high quality amp and a pair of speakers.

If you need an active gain stage, a used original Big Knob, Big Knob 3x2, Dawmer CMC2 or Presonus V2 should work nicely.

I don’t know about the recent Behringer units. In the past, I have found them to introduce noise into the chain. In front of a Bryson? There are other choices.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

mikehalloran wrote:Bryson amp ... sweet.

You are using the 1604 as a monitor controller. Although it works, that board takes a huge piece of real estate for such a simple task.

If you need an active gain stage, a used original Big Knob, Big Knob 3x2, Dawmer CMC2 or Presonus V2 should work nicely.
Yes it takes up waaaay to much space for that. Hence my wanting to get rid of it

Those gadgets you link to are are kind of variations on the theme, right? Similar to the TC Pilot

Such is my ignorance that I'm not really sure what an "active gain stage" is, or why I might need one. So I probably dont :lol:

The TC thing-y has XLR connectors which lot of them dont seem to have. That would be neater in my application I think, since both the 828 and the Bryston have XLRs

Thanks Mike
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Bryson amp ... sweet.

Yes it takes up waaaay to much space for that. Hence my wanting to get rid of it

Those gadgets you link to are are kind of variations on the theme, right? Similar to the TC Pilot

Such is my ignorance that I'm not really sure what an "active gain stage" is, or why I might need one. So I probably dont :lol:

The TC thing-y has XLR connectors which lot of them dont seem to have. That would be neater in my application I think, since both the 828 and the Bryston have XLRs

Thanks Mike
The TC Pilot is just a level control and takes very little space The others can switch different sources and monitors, and other stuff. If all you want is level, the TC should do.

The only thing problem I've seen with mine after many years is that the left-right balance is a bit off when the level is almost at minimum. It moves slightly to the right. This is not a problem if I keep the output of the source (828 in your case), slight below maximum. With that setting, I never have to turn the TC down to the point where the signal drifts off centre. I suppose I could clean it and fix the problem, but it can make the monitoring levels higher and lower than I ever need.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Passive: adds nothing, no amplification of any kind. Inserting will cause a slight level drop. The TC is fine but I and others like the ability to have (sum to) Mono, Mute and Dim (level drop) at the push of a button—none of which are possible with the TC knob. The SAT-2 and Mackie Passive Big Knob give you this.

Active: has a preamp (gain stage). Many systems need this to drive the monitor system properly You are using your 1604 as an active monitor control whether you know it or not. Because these require power, there are often many switching options not possible in a purely passive system.

There are a few hybrid units out there. The MC3 that I use is a passive controller with an active subwoofer out (that I use) and a headphone amp (that I don’t..

In my case, an active controller would drive my Equator monitors harder but I’m comfortable with the levels I get from a high quality passive controller.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

bayswater wrote: I was twiddling something on the front of the 828 to save my ears on restart. (Remember when the Apple OS startup BONG blew you off your seat?). I saw the TC Pilot in a local store, glued it to my desk to the left of the trackpad, and still use it constantly.
Only would have happened if you had your Mac onboard audio outputs directly connected to your MOTU or other audio interface. The chime happens prior to any device drivers loading.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The chime happens prior to any device drivers loading.
Not anymore.

Unless...
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02 ... me-back-on

This doesn't work on every Mac.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

?, not sure that’s relevant. Not about turning on or off the chime.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CharlzS wrote:?, not sure that’s relevant. Not about turning on or off the chime.
Of course it's relevant seeing as you brought up when the chimes happen. For most of us there are no chimes unless we turn them back on.

Is it relevant to the OP? Probably not but expecting this bunch to stay on topic... :rofl:

Ok, back OT...
As does the SAT-2 which also has those three buttons. Radial does it right and the switches are noisless.

The passive Big Knob uses balanced outs but TRS connectors. Markertek sells these pre-wired (about $4 less for Calrad).
https://www.markertek.com/product/na3fp ... -inch-plug

They also sell custom high quality cables at non-boutique prices. Customize your length and color.
https://www.markertek.com/product/sc3xs ... ack-3-foot

Don't like Canare star quad? Have them make it in Belden or Mogami or standard cable instead. I had them use right angle XLR-F connectors to solve a space problem.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

mikehalloran wrote:
The passive Big Knob uses balanced outs but TRS connectors. Markertek sells these pre-wired (about $4 less for Calrad).
https://www.markertek.com/product/na3fp ... -inch-plug
Yeah, for a few bucks extra I think the functionality of the Mackie is better, and the cables are readily available.

Thanks all.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

By the way, is there a tutorial somewhere about how to do a multi quote, or cut up a quote into several pieces and reply to each one? It's useful sometimes and I dont know how.