5" powered Monitors

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

5" powered Monitors

Post by Julia123 »

I ended up purchasing some Equators that Mike here recommended a few years ago, and they were great until I had a lightening strike. They were such a nice company and even repaired one once that had a mishap. They are now out of business though. I really need something else this size. (5")

I am in a room that is not mix friendly so it may be a waste to pay for high end, but since this is very close monitoring, if it's clearly worth it, I will. I moved and am finally adjusting to my Yamaha HS80's with sub in my new place, but they have their own personality and I really need a second set to complement these. I used to like to go back and forth between that set-up and the equators, mainly because they were so different than the Yamaha's (who survived the strike). I am not quite sure what way to go.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 5" powered Monitors

Post by mikehalloran »

Damn, hate to read something like that.

I'm guessing that the proprietary DSP chips were taken out by the surge so there's probably no way to repair these.

I don't see a fuse cap but there might be one on the board itself. 10 screws to pull — you may get lucky.

I'd take the chance. Perhaps a circuit board trace burned—they make paint for that.

Equator went under right after I sold my D5s (my D8s are still pumping away).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are two pairs listed on Reverb.com

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Equator%20D5
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Does M-Audio still make BX-5s? I had a set of those that were perfect for "small box" mix checking.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:Does M-Audio still make BX-5s? I had a set of those that were perfect for "small box" mix checking.
Something like that

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-monitor
mothra

Post by mothra »

You can grab the new 5" concentric Tannoy Golds for less than you paid for the Equators.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mothra wrote:You can grab the new 5" concentric Tannoy Golds for less than you paid for the Equators.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

I didn't realise that Midas had added Tannoy to their roster.

Those do look nice but did anyone really pay $500 for D5s? I remember them at $399 or $349 on sale as they were when I bought mine.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:I didn't realise that Midas had added Tannoy to their roster.
They didn't. Music Tribe (Uli Behringer) added Midas and Tannoy to his.

Still shady after all these years... https://www.musictech.net/news/is-this- ... 1qCyOQs0b0
mothra

Post by mothra »

mikehalloran wrote:
mothra wrote:You can grab the new 5" concentric Tannoy Golds for less than you paid for the Equators.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

I didn't realise that Midas had added Tannoy to their roster.

Those do look nice but did anyone really pay $500 for D5s? I remember them at $399 or $349 on sale as they were when I bought mine.
Were they that cheap? I almost bought a pair about 6-7 years ago and could've sworn they were like $300 or so each?? I ended up finding a pair of Tannoy's hidden on Guitar Center's website for $75 a piece and got those instead so I never did get to work with the D5s, but Equator went under very shortly after so Im glad I didn't. The last couple of runs they did seemed to have a lot of problems from all the comments and reviews I read online when I was in the market for em. They still had great reviews, but out of nowhere they began getting a lot of complaints as well towards the end.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I didn't realise that Midas had added Tannoy to their roster.

Still shady after all these years... https://www.musictech.net/news/is-this- ... 1qCyOQs0b0
Behringer owns Tannoy? Can't be. That would be as stupid as CBS buying Fender. Or Gibson buying ...
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks, I will check those out. I did take the Equators to a repair shop and they opened it up and said it could not be repaired. I can't remember the exact explanation but I do think it was the chip.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:

Behringer owns Tannoy? Can't be. That would be as stupid as CBS buying Fender. Or Gibson buying ...
Actually, after starting out his company as a Mackie copycat (remember the Behringer logo, with a bell for RINGER, as in DEAD RINGER, and getting sued by Mackie and, perhaps, others, for trade dress infringement or something along those lines) Uli has built an incredible music manufacturing and marketing machine. Behringer, Midas and Tannoy are now just three of the brands his company Music Tribe owns, and the list is long. But this is far different then the unfortunate situations you mention, Bays. No doubt Mr. Behringer is a shrewd and motivated businessman who knows this market well and will protect his brands' using any and all tools at his disposal.

In my opinion, those who claim his business tactics were (and may still be) unfair, are not off-base. As such, I am loath to purchase the company's products. But, like Amazon... it is often hard to resist.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dead-ringer
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:
bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: They didn't. Music Tribe (Uli Behringer) added Midas and Tannoy to his.

Actually, after starting out his company as a Mackie copycat (remember the Behringer logo, with a bell for RINGER, as in DEAD RINGER, and getting sued by Mackie and, perhaps, others, for trade dress infringement or something along those lines) Uli has built an incredible music manufacturing and marketing machine. Behringer, Midas and Tannoy are now just three of the brands his company Music Tribe owns, and the list is long. But this is far different then the unfortunate situations you mention, Bays. No doubt Mr. Behringer is a shrewd and motivated businessman who knows this market well and will protect his brands' using any and all tools at his disposal.

In my opinion, those who claim his business tactics were (and may still be) unfair, are not off-base. As such, I am loath to purchase the company's products. But, like Amazon... it is often hard to resist.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dead-ringer
Yes, it was just a stupid joke. I was aware of the Behringer history and the community views. The reaction to Behringer is somewhat unique. If we applied the same standards to everything, not many of us would have a smart phone or use an operating system. I have three small Behringer products and have to say they are among the three most reliable music related things I have, or have ever had. Maybe there is still reason to avoid B for some, but at some point, surely we just move on?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mothra

Post by mothra »

Well FWIW, I have a 20 year old 24 channel Eurodesk that still looks and works like it did on day 1 (anybody wanna buy it its taking up space I could use!!), the ADA8200 has been my AD/DA for my 828MK2 for a few years now and does its job like a champ, and just picked up a TD-3 for $140 a couple weeks ago and have a killer TB-303 knock off that rocks..

Their FX pedals, not so sturdy.. Bought the HM-300 to use while my Boss HM-2 was in storage a few years ago.. Sat the pedal down for about a year and never used it, plugged it in last year after getting everything to the new house, it broke just sitting around. Something inside it is flopping around now. Still works, when you can get the pedal to actually turn on.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Well FWIW, I have a 20 year old 24 channel Eurodesk that still looks and works like it did on day 1
As long as we're telling anecdotes...

Well FWIW… I replaced an 8 year old 16 channel Eurodesk that still looked good but was a noisy piece crap due to the inferior components being used. I couldn't convince my church to replace it till three channels had cut out. That was 15 years ago and the Mackie 1604 that I installed works like it did on day 1.

I have a box of old Xenix mixers that are completely unusable due to the noise. If anyone needs them for spare parts (knobs etc), I'll send them for the price of shipping.

Having said that, I have a few pieces of Behringer gear that are pretty good. The company's products did get better over the years and some of it is unique. So, while I am unlikely to buy one of their products if there's anything else out there, I don't go out of my way to avoid them.