5" powered Monitors

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 5" powered Monitors

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:The reaction to Behringer is somewhat unique. If we applied the same standards to everything, not many of us would have a smart phone or use an operating system... Maybe there is still reason to avoid B for some, but at some point, surely we just move on?
OTOH, if a company gains an unfair competitive advantage in its early days by nefarious means, one can argue that its success is undeserved. I like Mike Halloran's approach. If Music Tribe brings innovative products to market, it will be rewarded, regardless of the company's history.

PS: Sorry for the rant.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My only problem with Behringer has little to do with their business practices (although I find their hiding behind German IP laws to be a load of bollocks): it's simply that they build crap.

I had a Behringer Composer rack-mount compressor in here for about a week. A friend wanted to sell it, and loaned it to me to see if I wanted it. It coughed and wheezed and pumped... there was no setting that sounded good. Finally I had to run some tests to believe my ears... yes, it was true, the Composer was coloring the sound even when it was in Bypass.

Their rise was based on some shoddy business practices, but the shoddiest is their habit of replicating an existing circuit and then building it in China with the cheapest components they can source.

Years back I hired a studio in Arizona to record a singer there. I went to the session, and when I walked in I saw a rackload of Behringer gear. I knew we were screwed the second I saw it, and I did end up re-recording the tracks at another studio.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Sorry to disagree, and sorry to be not so Motu-fair, but replacing my old Yamaha 01-V with a Behringer X-32 rack, has been a night and day experience.
Great pres, great fx, great routing, good Mac, iPad and iPhone softwares, great MIDI features.
Not to mention stand-alone multi-tracking with the cheap X-Live add-on card.
I would say Behringer used to be a cheapo low level brand, but IMHO, it ain't anymore.

To be back on subject, if you're on a budget, you may take a look at JBL 305.
I listen thru them at home. Not perfect, but great for the price.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

daniel.sneed wrote:Sorry to disagree, and sorry to be not so Motu-fair, but replacing my old Yamaha 01-V with a Behringer X-32 rack, has been a night and day experience.
Yes, they did something very good with the X-32.
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Has anyone had any experience with the Neumann KH 80's? I guess it would be between the M'Audio BX5, maybe those Tannoy Golds or some Adams, or at the top of the expense the Neumann's but only if they are clearly more balanced and accurate. Otherwise I would stick to simply having something half way decent to bounce back and forth between the Yamamhas.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Julia123 wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the Neumann KH 80's? I guess it would be between the M'Audio BX5, maybe those Tannoy Golds or some Adams, or at the top of the expense the Neumann's but only if they are clearly more balanced and accurate. Otherwise I would stick to simply having something half way decent to bounce back and forth between the Yamamhas.
If your budget can handle the Neumann’s...

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-kh80-dsp
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

I bought the Neumanns. At first gut reaction I thought they sounded hyper midrangy but then I considered the fact that I was probably just used to my Yamahas. I have since been going down the rabbit hole testing things and in the process realized how awful my room is (more than I assumed) and I am not really able to fix that.

Anyway, my goal of 'different' than my Yamahas has been achieved. These are VERY different, no matter what eq I upload into them. They are also 'easy' on my ears compared to the Yamahas. For now I have added my sub to the Neumanns and they are working out great. I feel like I am hearing everything that is there pretty clearly and not as slightly diffused in some way as the Yamahas. I am really happy having both now. It will be interesting over time to see if I can good mixes quicker in spite of my room. I have a feeling I will.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

daniel.sneed wrote:Sorry to disagree, and sorry to be not so Motu-fair, but replacing my old Yamaha 01-V with a Behringer X-32 rack, has been a night and day experience.
To be back on subject, if you're on a budget, you may take a look at JBL 305.
I listen thru them at home. Not perfect, but great for the price.

If you'd replaced the 01-V with a QL1 you'd feel even more night and day. Takeaway; really almost everything like that today is better than yesterday.

I'd also suggest checking the JBL line. I have 705P's which cost a good bit more, and they are pretty great. I replaced LSR28P's (8") with those, and the 705P's actually have better deep bass. Nt quite as loud, but only matters if you wish to be deaf.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

daniel.sneed wrote:I would say Behringer used to be a cheapo low level brand, but IMHO, it ain't anymore.
I'd say it's both. I just got a Behringer Super Fuzz. It's just like the fuzz box a band I was in bought for me in 1966 so we could cover the Animal's version of Don't Bring Me Down, right down to the cheesy tremolo. It's the least refined most erratic piece of gear I've had for a long time. My original fuzz box turned into a signal generator with the drive knob controlling frequency if you put the battery in backwards. Haven't tried it yet, but I bet it will do that too. Hours of fun for the same price we paid 54 years ago.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mothra

Post by mothra »

bayswater wrote:
daniel.sneed wrote:I would say Behringer used to be a cheapo low level brand, but IMHO, it ain't anymore.
I'd say it's both. I just got a Behringer Super Fuzz. It's just like the fuzz box a band I was in bought for me in 1966 so we could cover the Animal's version of Don't Bring Me Down, right down to the cheesy tremolo. It's the least refined most erratic piece of gear I've had for a long time. My original fuzz box turned into a signal generator with the drive knob controlling frequency if you put the battery in backwards. Haven't tried it yet, but I bet it will do that too. Hours of fun for the same price we paid 54 years ago.
Just dont breathe on it funny or anything! Ive had nothing but great luck so far with the few pieces of gear of theirs I own, but this is a big Eurodesk, the ADA8200 converter, and even got a TD-3 a few weeks ago. My HM300 Heavy Metal pedal was a dirt cheap bargain at $25 when my real HM-2 was in storage and I needed something to play at home. Somehow it broke just sitting on top of my amp for a year or two. Something inside it is now bouncing around, and the switch needs to be bashed in with a hammer to turn it on heh. They pretty much nailed the sound of the Boss HM-2 though Ill give em that. Just like the TD-3 is almost a dead on TB-303 knock off.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mothra wrote:My HM300 Heavy Metal pedal was a dirt cheap bargain at $25 when my real HM-2 was in storage and I needed something to play at home. Somehow it broke just sitting on top of my amp for a year or two.
Mine is on a rack shelf. It's a pedal, but I don't dare step on it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8