Antares Auto Tune

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
spencer4t
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Antares Auto Tune

Post by spencer4t »

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone here uses Antares Auto-Tune in addition to the built-in autotune with Digital Performer. I didn't know if there was a preference over one or the other. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
DP 6.02 & 6.03
imac 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 8 gig RAM
Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 gig RAM
Plugins - Superior Dummer 2.0 / Machfive 2.0 / BPM / Electric Keys / Symphonic Instrument / Kontakt Sounds / Ozone 4 / Wavearts plugins (masterverb, multidynamics, trackplug) / Yamaha Motif XS6 / Yamaha Motif ES7

My Two Bands
http://www.formerlythree.com
http://www.theinnocencelive.com
mikehalloran

Re: Antares Auto Tune

Post by mikehalloran »

Antares.com can tell you all about AutoTune.

Many of us own AutoTune. Though some functionality does work, much of the automation does not, Antares does not support DP. On the rare occasions (and they are rare) that I need AT, I fire up Logic where it is fully functional and supported.

This is on the Mac. Until DP 10, AT could not work in Windows since it is VST3 and there is no VST2,

Antares recommends you download the 30 day demo if planning to use AutoTune in DP since there is no support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Pitch correction is a double edged sword. Sometimes working with the artist to get a better take is the best approach. But that's a topic for another thread.

When I use pitch correction (which is rarely) I use either Melodyne or DP. Each, IMO, has their strengths and weaknesses. Both have gotten better over the years. I tried a demo of AutoTune and didn't much like it. I would definitely try before you buy.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I find AT a handy tool to have in the quiver. Other than key, the most important parameter is attack time, slower for transparent tuning, faster when used as an effect.

DPs built-in pitch tools are awesome, but I use Auto Tune in Automatic Mode for quick and dirty pitch correction. Sometimes it is just what the Dr. ordered. In the case of particularly pitch-challenged vocalists, I will use DP's pitch layer to get notes that are really out of tune close enough for AT to properly correct them. This has proven to be the fastest way to create a passable track in dire situations.

AT is handy for doubling... copy lead vocal track, tune the copy with AT and, instant tight double. Delay the double to taste. Same goes for background vocals.

To me, a person who has owned AT from its early, pre-Melodyne, days, the additional functionality I would use in Melodyne is largely duplicated in DP's built-in pitch tools. As such, I have not invested in Melodyne. That said, if one doesn't own either plug in, the choice might be a tossup. Sound quality seems similar, so it is a matter of $$$ vs Functionality.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My favorite “down and dirty” for a vocalist who wanders is iZotope’s Nectar Elements. Like old Ron Popeil: “Set it and forget it”. Currently on sale for $29

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/deals.h ... 9dEALw_wcB

Melodyne Studio has features not found in anything else, most notably the ability to change the placement and intonation of notes in a chord. It’s also able to time stretch multiple tracks at once.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
spencer4t

Post by spencer4t »

Thanks for the tips! Have you found Elements to work well "on top" of DP's pitch correction similar to AutoTune? Thank you
DP 6.02 & 6.03
imac 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 8 gig RAM
Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 gig RAM
Plugins - Superior Dummer 2.0 / Machfive 2.0 / BPM / Electric Keys / Symphonic Instrument / Kontakt Sounds / Ozone 4 / Wavearts plugins (masterverb, multidynamics, trackplug) / Yamaha Motif XS6 / Yamaha Motif ES7

My Two Bands
http://www.formerlythree.com
http://www.theinnocencelive.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

spencer4t wrote:Thanks for the tips! Have you found Elements to work well "on top" of DP's pitch correction similar to AutoTune? Thank you
Never tried that. Nectar Elements’s pitch control is something I apply or don’t. Normally it just works and I move on. Best for Wandering vocalists who need some help such as singer-songwriters who are paying more attention to the guitar or piano than their pitch. Yes, you can use AT for that but it’s like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail. I’ve never used NE on a singer and had him/her notice that I applied correction—it’s quite natural sounding.

DP’s pitch correction works best for me when I can’t just conform to a grid and actually have to drag a note or two... or three or more... Last time I used it was on a cello track where I couldn’t hear very well and it was all over the place. Having suffered a stroke in the mean time, I would have had to book a session and hire someone else to re-create the track. DP’s Pitch saved my butt and let me preserve the take. It may be the only recorded example of my playing a cello.

I also have the full version of Nectar that can do the same but I’m used to DP for that use.

When I use AutoTune, there’s a reason and someone is paying me extra to do it. I never use it for simple pitch correction — ever. As mentioned before, I use it in Logic where I can take advantage of its full functionality.

Likewise, I use MeloDyne Studio for tasks that cannot be accomplished any other way such as fixing the timing and pitch of one note in a piano chord or time-stretching a number of tracks flown in from various sessions. I suppose it can be used for simple pitch control but why when NE exists.

BTW, Nectar Elements is the 64 bit version of Nectar 1st gen which was 32 bit only. There are no other differences. It’s an update of an old version, not a ‘lite’ one. Besides a basic pitch and de-esser, eq etc, it has a number of cool presets giving you some basic studio templates such as the eq curve found on so many Motown recordings. I don’t know if the free Nectar 1 preset packs work in NE now that it’s 64bit but I can always try if I have time tomorrow morning.