Clock question with 2408mkii standalone TDIF to ADAT rig.

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
cleantones
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clock question with 2408mkii standalone TDIF to ADAT rig.

Post by cleantones »

Hello! Hoping someone has some input for me. I am undertaking some transfers of a bands live archive. They ran two DA-78HR's for a few years on the road. I have two DA-78HR's, TDIF cables, optical cables, a MOTU 2408 mkii, and an Alesis HD24XR. The idea is TDIF out of the 78's into the 2408 which is a stand alone converter from TDIF to ADAT. Then out via optical into the Alesis to record. I also have various MOTU firewire interfaces that I could put in place of the HD24XR but that is kind of beside the point for now. The question is about clocking. The 78's have in, out, and thru, the 2408 has in and out and the HD24 has in. I believe TDIF has clock in the signal but I don't know what happens going through the 2408 conversion. I might just experiment but thought it worth asking you smart folks. Thanks for taking a look!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Clock question with 2408mkii standalone TDIF to ADAT rig

Post by stubbsonic »

I can't address your specific question, but thought I'd throw out this suggestion.

If you have multiple tracks across multiple machines, and can sync them together (as you did when the material was recorded), it can be helpful to record a very short click across all tracks at the very beginning (or it could be really anywhere you have some free space, even at the end). Then you transfer the entire recording and align the click after the transfer. Not an answer to your question, but a failsafe if what you do doesn't lock without an offset.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com