Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

Post by bayswater »

Sometimes I have to move around a lot while tracking. I keep stepping on the headphone cable or getting it stuck under chairs, etc. I'd like to get wireless headphones. I had Sennheisers maybe 20 years ago, but they had to be fine tuned to get a signal with every use, and the battery was only good for less than an hour.

I've looked around at other forums, and found very few recommendations. Perhaps a more general wireless transmitter using my regular headphones would be an option?

Anyone use wireless that could be recommended?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
DavidBronson

Re: Anyone Use Wireless Headphones?

Post by DavidBronson »

I use Apple Airpods and I love them. They very comfortable, because of you don't need always unravel your headphones. When I at work in https://customwriting.com/pay-for-paper, I can go somewhere and I don't need to left my headphones.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have a few little FM transmitters in my house. Mainly, I have one connected to my AirPort Express, so I can broadcast my MBP to any radio in the house. However, that process induces latency, as does Bluetooth.

If you go analog out of your system to an FM transmitter, then have a little FM receiver (like some little MP3 players that have FM capability) on your person, you won't add any latency-- which is kind of handy.

Both the FM transmitters and the little FM players are pretty inexpensive. Then you get to use your nice corded cans.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Both the FM transmitters and the little FM players are pretty inexpensive. Then you get to use your nice corded cans.
Anything you can recommend? When I google this, 99% of what comes back is actually bluetooth, and most are made to go in a car (lighter power supplied, mount for a dash, etc). Do any of them broadcast and receive on frequencies outside of the commercial FM band?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The ones I have are similar to these. The first one is pretty simple to use and reliable.
The 2nd one is a little more powerful-- so it will definitely get onto your neighbor's radio if they dialed to a nearby station.

https://www.amazon.com/Crane-FM2-Digita ... 005GUQ0FI/

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broadca ... 00CM2VPMQ/

You can dial around on your FM receiver and look for inactive bands.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. That gets me on the right planet.
dix

Post by dix »

I was really into wireless headphones for recording a while back. It's been a long time, but I found that the only headphones that didn't have noticeable latency and had consistent and quality sound were ones that ran on a 2.4ghz transmission. This was before bluetooth headphones were a thing. I tried RF, and I think ones that ran on infrared, but the best were the 2.4ghz. You could wear them in the same room while the monitors were playing and there was no latency at all. Looks like the brand I had is out of business now, but I see several out there that operate on 2.4ghz. ...my wireless pair died a few years back. i don't record myself as much as I once did so i haven't looked for another pair. this thread makes me want to try to find some. it looks like there's a lot more to choose from now.

I use bluetooth headphones for listening to music and video on my iPhone (in fact i'd never go back to wired headphones for that), and as mentioned, there's noticeable latency when watching videos, so I don't think bluetooth streaming is an option for studio work.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote: i don't record myself as much as I once did so i haven't looked for another pair. this thread makes me want to try to find some. it looks like there's a lot more to choose from now.
The FM units appear to broadcast mostly on the 88 to 108 band -- not necessarily something I'd want to do around here. As I mentioned, I had Sennhiesers that worked on 2.4G but they were a pain to set up and recharge. Maybe the newer models are better -- don't know. Anything digital with latency is a non starter for tracking. So I don't know what to do. Maybe just keep using the 100 series wired Sennheisers. They sound fine, and cheap so when I roll my chair wheels over the cable, or step on it and tear it out of the headset, I'll just get another pair.