MX4 on Audio input?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MX4 on Audio input?

Post by dix »

Anyone try using MX4 on other audio sources? Is it difficult to set up? What's the CPU hit like if you're just using the filters an not the oscilators? It's the only VI synth out there I've seen that can do this and the main reason I'm considering buying it.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
thracks

Re: MX4 on Audio input?

Post by thracks »

Hey dix,

I just put up some audio examples of MX-4 doing it's thing on a drum loop. It was not hard to set up at all. Just take an audio track, send it to a bus, then on MX-4 set the input to that bus. Done. I tried it out using the supplied presets designed to work with audio input. The hit on the processor was no different than the MX-4 by itself as far as I could tell. If anything, it was less since the oscillators are switched off. I could be wrong tho.

Download the audio examples here

<small>[ March 29, 2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: thracks ]</small>
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
dix

Post by dix »

Hey, nice thracks. AIFs no less. Thanks!! Those are *way* more useful than anything on the MX4 example page. MX4 seems like the virtual Swiss Army knife of VI synths and filter fx. ...still mysterious as to why it's so unpopular - no demo version doesn't help I s'pose.

Based on your demos and other feedback (from the aprox. two other people that have bought MX4) and despite the new Keyboard review accusing it of being not fat, I just went ahead and ordered it.

Also, I wasn't sure if the new MX4 2 Pattern Gate was going be able to be applied to external audio, but I got an email from motu sales today confirming that it would. So that should be pretty cool too.

Thanks again so much for putting up those tracks.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
thracks

Post by thracks »

I think you'll like MX4. I have been using it since it was first released. It has taken me a while to really warm up to it. I wasn't floored by it's sound when I first used it, but after getting to know and appreciate it's complexities I'm a very happy costumer. It's true it does not have a "fat" sound, like other analog emulations (impOSCar, MMV) but it does have a unique, modern sound of it's own. Good luck :)
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
dix

Post by dix »

As I mentioned in the other thread, so far I'm not too happy w MX4 - you're quite right, nothing close to 'fat' comes from it. Let's see what MX4 2 brings. The audio input feature is indeed very cool but, is only available in DP and PT, not Live and not Logic (!) as far as I can see. Anyone able to make audio inputs happen in Logic or Live? -thanks
bsantoro

Post by bsantoro »

What makes a fat sound "fat".

Do true analog synths sound fat because they are analog?

I remember when the Yamaha DX7 came out; it had the digital sound; kinda crisp and thin.

If the MX4 is capable of programming almost any kind of sound; what could we do to make it sound fat?

bsantoro
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM- Yamaha Motif7- MOTU 828 - Motu MIDI XpressXT - MOTU Digital Performer7.23 - Ableton Live8 - MX4 - Symphonic Instrument - Roland GR-55 - Godin xtSA MIDI Guitar

http://web.mac.com/bob_santoro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mess
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mess »

for Logic go to the channel strip and setup a send.
Then go to the MX4 winodw and set the sidechain input to the same bus and enable the sidechain.
Make sure the MX4 Instrument track is record enabled, select an external input patch, hit play and hold down some notes on your controller.

working for me in LP 7.01
dix

Post by dix »

Oh hey, yea, duh. Thanks mess! That works. ...now how 'bout Live?

Re Fat: Indeed MX4 appears to have the goods, but I can't figure out how to get it to spit it out. That's why I'm thinking the new presets promised in MX4 2 will show the way. ...I don't think it's just a digital vs. analog thing. There are some very fat sounding Plugins out there (Albino2!). MX4 sounds much more like the aforementioned DX, whose sound is making a come back these days, but I never cared for it much.