Ultralite mk3 hybrid: S/PDIF meter funkiness

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite mk3 hybrid: S/PDIF meter funkiness

Post by baanes »

I have an 11-month old Ultralite mk3 hybrid. When connected to the computer via USB or Firewire, and running on wall power, I get full-scale digital noise on the S/PDIF inputs. First saw it on the front panel meter, then re-routed to listen via CueMix. Doesn't appear on bus power, and will disappear 5-10 seconds after disconnecting USB or Firewire. It's been doing this for a while now, but I'm finally looking into it.

Thinking this might be a ground loop, I tried running the computer on battery (macbook pro). The signal disappears from the front panel meter, but will usually spike and then fade out once or twice per minute.

Everything is running through a Furman power conditioner, so there shouldn't be ground loops present. I updated the ultralite to the newest firmware (1.06), and reset to factory defaults, with no change.

Bad S/PDIF transceiver? I remember having S/PDIF issues on a Traveler I used to use for remote recording about 5 years ago. That was with the output, though, if I recall correctly. Though the power-dependency this time around has me perplexed.

System - Macbook pro 15", late 2011. 10.7.5, 2.2ghz, 8gb ram.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Ultralite mk3 hybrid: S/PDIF meter funkiness

Post by 4stripes »

Could be the wall wart, SPDIF transceiver, the wall you're plugging into, not locked to SPDIF input.

Might still be in the warranty zone.