MOTU products and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
groove
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by groove »

From http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-prod ... ntain-lion front page

Interesting info about motu soft/hard-wares compatibility with OS X 10.8.

"Today Apple released Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). MOTU has worked with Apple to ensure current MOTU products are compatible with Mountain Lion, and to provide a smooth transition for your MOTU products when you upgrade to Mountain Lion"

Looks good.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
sdfalk

Re: MOTU products and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Post by sdfalk »

I'm testing it on ,my laptop and leaving it off my desktop..so far so good...in so much that it
works.
The OS is now truly becoming painfully close to the IOS..
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

I installed ML over my ext hd CCC backup. It's still very early, but so far, no signs of trouble.

But, Mac Pro1,1 is no go!!!
Booting from a clean install of ML on an ext hd drive brought up a No symbol (circle/backslash).

Booting from the CCC backup drive resulted in the MP simply producing a blank gray screen, then turning off.

Right now, the Mac Pro1,1 runs Lion like a champ. (Had to upgrade the video graphics card last year in order to do so). It's set up like a Rosetta Stone with partitions on the various internal drives for Tiger, Leopard, SL, and Lion to ensure access to current and older file formats for various apps into the future.

My next desktop model will most likely be a Mini server.

More input on ML to follow.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

wvandyck wrote: But, Mac Pro1,1 is no go!!!
Booting from a clean install of ML on an ext hd drive brought up a No symbol (circle/backslash).
According to the Apple website, only Mac Pro's built in 2008 and after are compatible with Mountain Lion. So, unfortunately, I don't believe the Mac Pro 1.1 won't be able to run it.

Here's a list of the ML compatible models:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

I installed Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook Pro and DP and Finale work fine. I won't upgrade my Mac Pro until I know things are stable there.

I did notice that, overall, Mountain Lion seems snappier and more responsive than Lion. Which is good, because Lion seemed to slow down things a bit. I'm glad to see Apple paid attention to things under the hood as well.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

I jumped in figuring that they were building upon Lion. UAD plugs work, DP 7.24 and so far everything else.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I guess I'll stick with SL on my MacPro1,1 (I could find a copy of Lion, but then again, why?) Actually, maybe I will try to find one, because iCloud would be great on my Desktop. My laptop's screaming for ML though.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

csiaudio wrote:I jumped in figuring that they were building upon Lion. UAD plugs work, DP 7.24 and so far everything else.

My Test install on My macbook pro appears to be working.
My Apollo interface does not.
PLugins don't work either..testing..testing..one two three..haha
"Building on?"..lol..geez..if they're is one thing I realized about computers, operating
systems and software, it's to never assume anything
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
conleycd
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by conleycd »

Hi folks,

I recently learned of a way to run 10.8 on original Mac Pro 1,1. As best as I understand, unfortunately apple could have easily provided an EFI upgrade to make 1.1 and 2.1 work with 10.8 but have chosen to force upgrades instead.

What has been done (which I haven't done) is to make a small partition that has the boot loader of a Hackintosh but then boots your normal hard drive. The small partition loads the 64 bit EFI required to run 10.8 into the processor instructions.

I can post the link (I have to look it up) if people are interested.

CC
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Cloned my startup drive, and upgraded. Runs great. Internet access is much faster, Safari and Mail both smoking. Everything works. Even drivers for obscure utilities and my Tascam FW interface. All plug-ins running fine in Logic Pro in 64-bit mode, except UAD plugs which are working throug the 32-bit bridge (haven't tried DP yet).

I dig the integration of Mac OSX and iOS. I'm a heavy iDevices user, continually updating calendar, contacts and notepads away from the studio, so I welcome the new features.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

So I just purchased a 2009 Quad Mac Pro which, once I know everything is working correctly, I plan to flash to a 2010/12. I will then swap the CPU for a Six Core 3.33 Westmere.

I'm thinking "go Cougar" (oops, I mean Mountain Lion - unlike real cats there IS a difference when one is talking 'bout OSX) and bash away until all softwares have either submitted to my whim or been exorcised from my system.

Jim, CSI, Elektro, your results are encouraging.

I am very excited to (finally) move from my PPC Quad, which has served me without fail since 2006, and will hopefully continue to do so in a backup role and as a graphics machine.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

HC, it's been flawless. This morning, it's looks and feels like the same Mac, except that it's quicker and does everything faster. Logic Pro 9 just roars, with even better CPU handling than before (a fact that is helped further by the release of free updates yesterday of Native Instruments "Drummer" series of Kontakt instruments: Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's Drummer, Abbey Road 70s Drummer and Abbey Road Modern Drummer, all of which were huge CPU hogs that I used on every production regardless of the performance load.)

OSX 10.8, a fresh upgrade to 16GB of RAM (with eight identical Crucial sticks for perfect mirroring), tighter NI plugs that use 40% less CPU time, Logic Pro running in 64-bit... now, that's what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade. Theres nothing in ML like the huge disk structure change that broke so much stuff in Lion.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

conleycd wrote: I can post the link (I have to look it up) if people are interested.
I've seen some, but please post the one you used that is proven to work. Was it an easy process?
One thing I wonder, will that trick Mac App Store so I can download it or would it require buying ML on an USB stick?
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

sdfalk wrote:
csiaudio wrote:I jumped in figuring that they were building upon Lion. UAD plugs work, DP 7.24 and so far everything else.

My Test install on My macbook pro appears to be working.
My Apollo interface does not.
PLugins don't work either..testing..testing..one two three..haha
"Building on?"..lol..geez..if they're is one thing I realized about computers, operating
systems and software, it's to never assume anything

Odd because I have an Apollo and a Satellite and it's working fine. Hummm. Yeah you are correct what works on one may not work on another. Sorry to hear it doesn't work. Hope you figure out the issue.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

FutureLegends wrote:
conleycd wrote: I can post the link (I have to look it up) if people are interested.
I've seen some, but please post the one you used that is proven to work. Was it an easy process?
One thing I wonder, will that trick Mac App Store so I can download it or would it require buying ML on an USB stick?
Ditto.
Please post.
Elektroakoustika wrote:
According to the Apple website, only Mac Pro's built in 2008 and after are compatible with Mountain Lion. So, unfortunately, I don't believe the Mac Pro 1.1 won't be able to run it.
Useful list for those who are interested.

My hope was that with the graphics card upgrade, lotta RAM etc, that just maybe... the MP1,1 would run ML.

Some commentary:
SL was the sweet spot in OSX evolution- smaller foot print, efficient, and able to run PPC apps with Rosetta.

Although I like Launch Pad, Mission Control, and Safari's Reading List, there was no compelling reason to upgrade to Lion a year ago, but I did.

At this point, it makes sense to simply test ML on a spare int or ext hd to see if it warrents the transition now.
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »