Has AudioDesk or CueMix completely frozen my Cubase 4?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
colderay
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Has AudioDesk or CueMix completely frozen my Cubase 4?

Post by colderay »

Cubase 4.1.2
Omnisphere vst
Macbook (2 gig ram) OSX 10.4.10
Motu Ultralite (Firewire Audio interface V1)
Motu express XT usb MIDI interface (older version)
Korg Triton studio

Hello,

I have been using cubase 4 with the above interfaces and hardware/vst for about 8 months with little or no problems. I Just got the latest version of AudioDesk (V3) and loaded this onto my macbook 2 days ago. The disk also loaded a later version (I think) of Cuemix. I opened/launched both new versions of AudioDesk and Cuemix for the first time 2 days ago and although I didn't use the AudioDesk, I did use the Cuemix without any problems.

This is where the problem started. Now, Cubase loads, but every single menu is grayed out on the drop down menu at the top and I cannot click on any window to change anything, even the VSTs. I cannot even select quit. I have to force quit. Basically my Cubase has completely frozen and this happened directly after the first time I installed and used the upgraded Motu software.

I have uninstalled all the Motu software that I recently installed, upgraded to the last version of Cubase 4 today, but still this problem persists, even if not attached to the Motu hardware. The moment I open one of my previously created files or try to open a new file, I have no access to any cubase controls or drop down menus.

I would be grateful of ANY help given (before I pull all my hair out). I can only think it is some clash with something loaded from AudioDesk or Cuemix. But could really do with some advice......

Many many thanks,

Colderay

PS I wasn't sure if this was the best section with which to post this, so if anyone thinks it would be better under another section do let me know.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Has AudiDesk or CueMix completely frozen my Cubase 4?

Post by mikehalloran »

AudioDesk works with MOTU hardware only so, yes, this could be part of the problem
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
colderay

Post by colderay »

Hi mikehalloran,

Thanks very much for the reply. I am getting a bit desperate now as I have posted also on two Cubase forums but had no response there.

Trawling through the forums I realise that perhaps I'm not as tech savvy as some, so forgive me if I ask questions that have obvious answers, but If I have uninstalled all the Motu software, any ideas why it is I still have the problem with Cubase?

Also, are you saying you think I cannot use Cubase as the host for my third part VSTs + my main sequencer, while I use AudioDesk to do final mixing and placement of my sampled audio tracks?

Cheers,

Colderay
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

My guess - and it is only a guess - is that, since AudioDesk wants to own your MOTU hardware, it doesn't want to share it with Cubase.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
colderay

Post by colderay »

Hmm, I wonder if that means I'll have to reinstall Cubase (once I have uninstalled Audiodesk)? Any thoughts?