ATI Graphics Card & Ethno /Symphonic Instrument Incompat

Moderator: James Steele

scantlinj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

ATI Graphics Card & Ethno /Symphonic Instrument Incompat

Post by scantlinj »

After reading similar problems with ATI Graphics cards, mine is an all-in-wonder 9600 series and I have seen the same complaint here at Unicornation with the 9800 and the X800, it appears that there is a serious problem with 3D hardware acceleration and both Ethno Instrument and the new 1.1.2 version of Symphonic Instrument. After turning 3D hardware acceleration on my ATI graphics card all the way off as one user suggested under the Symphonic Instrument forum, I am now able to load both instruments without problems. This is a temporary fix, I will contact MOTU about this and hopefully they will address it.
meeloo

Re: ATI Graphics Card & Ethno /Symphonic Instrument Inco

Post by meeloo »

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from ATI? I have both cards and I have no problems with Ethno.
scantlinj

Yes

Post by scantlinj »

I have installed the latest drivers, 6.9 Catalyst, 8.291.0.0 dated 8/22/2006 for the 9600.
meeloo

Re: Yes

Post by meeloo »

scantlinj wrote:I have installed the latest drivers, 6.9 Catalyst, 8.291.0.0 dated 8/22/2006 for the 9600.
Ok. What problem are you seeing exactely? Is it crashing? Is it happening in every plugin format? Is it a CPU problem? Can you elaborate a bit more?

Cheers
scantlinj

Sure!

Post by scantlinj »

I appreciate your help with this ... when I try to launch the standalone applications of either Ethno or Symphonic I get an error message that reads:

"Unexpected problem detected in the program "MOTU Ethno Instrument.exe"

See the report file 'C:\Program Files\MOTU\Ethno Instrument\CrashReport.txt' for more info."

If I try to open the VST's or DXi apps in Sonar 6, the windows come up blank.

One user in the Symphonic Instrument section of UnicorNation (who I believe has an ATI x800) wrote that this started happening to him after upgrading to the ATI card. He wrote that he discovered if he turned hardware acceleration off, he could launch the apps just fine. I tried this and sure enough both the standalone apps launched as did the VST and DXi instruments in Sonar.

I didn't have this problem, by the way, with the first version of Symphonic Instrument. It started in 1.1.1 and is still there in 1.1.2.
meeloo

Re: Sure!

Post by meeloo »

Ok. I have put an archive containing four reg files here:
http://s.metrot.free.fr/RegFiles.rar

Description:
GLGUIEthno.reg : turn ON hardware acceleration for Ethno
SoftGUIEthno.reg : turn OFF hardware acceleration for Ethno
GLGUIMSI.reg : turn ON hardware acceleration for MSI
SoftGUIMSI.reg : turn OFF hardware acceleration for MSI

This enables you to try to run Ethno or MSI without hardware acceleration. This permits you to keep the hardware acceleration on the rest of your system and see if disabeling it only for those programs fixes your problems.

You should keep those files around as it will be a good idea to try the next update of MSI and Ethno with hardware acceleration full on.

Let mes know if this helps... :)

Cheers

meeloo

PS: of course I garanty you that thos reg files are totaly harmless to the extend of my knowledge... (you can inspect them click choosing "edit" in the context sub menu displayed when you right click on them with the windows explorer).
scantlinj

Closer

Post by scantlinj »

This gets a little close, but the result is the same. What I mean by "closer" is that when I use the "OFF" edits and try to launch the programs, it actually opens a blank, black window, let the screen is about to raw the app into it, but then the same error message appears and it just stops. Who are you? Do you work for MOTU? You certainly are very helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you for your interest in this.
meeloo

Re: Closer

Post by meeloo »

scantlinj wrote:This gets a little close, but the result is the same. What I mean by "closer" is that when I use the "OFF" edits and try to launch the programs, it actually opens a blank, black window, let the screen is about to raw the app into it, but then the same error message appears and it just stops.
Ha, this is unfortunate. I believe there will be a new update for both ethno and msi soon that will fix this very problem. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until then :(.
scantlinj

Will do

Post by scantlinj »

I can work around it for now by turning accleration off when I need to run these apps. Thanks again for your help.
Asifillyas

a friend!!!

Post by Asifillyas »

I get the same issue -- same error message --- and turning off hardware accel doesn't work for me -- the Instrument doesn't show up in my VST instruments drop down in Nuendo either....

I guess I should just go buy a MAC and have the rest of my software not work!!

:)